Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times

Advertisements

also first time buyers quote full rack licensed contractors prices to fix and sellers are thinking handiman DYO cost to fix.

In case of window as a seller I would say you should have saw this prior to home inspection as it is obvious.

Second if you were paying a fair price I would agree to fix, which would be my glass man replacing glass only and leaving windows or at best cost of a new window with no labor, it is a used house afterall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 02:12 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Texas also. Don't like the house as is? The other 15 offers will take it as is and pay 10% above asking price.
I think buyers and sellers should be equally cavalier. I think buyers don't realize that the power is equal, even in a hot market. The seller wants your money. The buyer wants what you're selling. The seller has the power to not do a thing, and the buyer has the right to take their (big) dollars elsewhere. People seem to forget that because they get too emotionally entangled with a home. They get frustrated too easily when they "lose a house" time after time. If a house has problems and the individual buyer doesn't feel like it works for them, they should be prepared to walk away. I'd rather lose 700 than to buy a house that will extract money systematically from my pocket.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
We are in a pretty hot market in South Florida right now also (a HUGE cash market), and I tell my buyers as far as the inspection is concerned, unless it is one of the big four, let it go.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:53 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Age wears everything out, and homes are no exception.
While that may be true, it is important to recognize that many of the construction standards and quality of goods used to be significantly better 20-30-40+ years ago than they are today. Also, the people who constructed the houses were often more well-trained American workers than many of the workers trucked in to build developments today. I visited this house as it was being built and was able to take photographs during construction.

My house was framed with clear, solid wood, 16" centers (on site), with firebreaks half way down the wall that are no longer required in the building code in my area.

Additionally, some of us have taken exceptionally good care of our homes and have redone our bathrooms, etc. with very high end vanities with dovetailing and soft-close drawers (as just one example).

My home has never been a rental and has never had more than two people living in it, and no dogs. So, although it is older, it could be considered to be "lightly lived-in" compared to homes that have been rentals and or with big families who have multiple large dogs in the household.

I don't mean to offend those of you with large families or who have numerous large dogs, but it is truthful to say that this house has not has as much abuse as most older homes have, and that will be a selling factor when I do put my house on the market for the first time.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Depending on the market in his area he may not be a jerk, say for instance the San Francisco area, it's a hot hot sellers market
It sure is!

Old 07-13-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
And this is exactly why I suggest to my sellers to fix everything that's broken before listing their home. The old double dip is always lurking!
I started doing some major jobs a few years ago and it made my house much nicer. If I hadn't done it, I might have listed my home. As it is, I can bear it awhile longer. (Sorry, listing agents. )

Hey, I just noticed you are in the El Dorado Hills area. It's great that your county now permits inter-county transfers of base year values. I'll bet that is bringing some buyers to your area. It's a big plus for me.

If I thought I could bear snow, I might be a buyer, since I have seen nice houses in your area that cost a whole lot less than down here in the SF Bay Area.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:23 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad0118 View Post
Keep in mind this is a seller's market. If you don't buy the house; there is likely a line of others that will.
Your seller's market is a buyer's market two counties over. Or two states. It is most assuredly not a seller's market in my city, with my 1800 sq. ft. house built in 1992 with full basement, 250 sq. ft. custom deck and 2 1/2 car garage in a VERY GOOD neighborhood and VERY DESIRABLE school system will sell for $140,000 tops, if I let it sit, according to comps. It cost over $130,000 to build 23 years ago.

All those bubbles, booms, and busts? Missed us. Highest probable selling price in that time period was around $165,000.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:06 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
My daughter is buying 22 y old house and home inspection found a lot of problems .

15 in total.

4 major and 12 "small" problems.

Because she likes the house she agreed to not ask for repairs of 12 small and 1 big problem.
( and this will cost her probably 3-4k to get done).

But she is asking owner to repair other 3 major things.

One of this 3 major problems is replacing 3 oversized windows (they are cracked/broken) and we got quote from window company it will cost around 2500+ $ to replace them.

Owner refused to pay for it.

Now my daughter is mad because she already agreed to pay for other things that need repair and owner does not want to fix them or lower the total price of home.

Is it common in todays market that sellers refuse to repair for something home inspection find its wrong?
No, but it is a sellers market.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:41 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
We are in a pretty hot market in South Florida right now also (a HUGE cash market), and I tell my buyers as far as the inspection is concerned, unless it is one of the big four, let it go.
Pardon my ignorance but what are the big four?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:59 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Really? Heard Cary NC is a hot sellers mkt as well. Low inventory and lots of buyers
The whole Raleigh-Durham area is nuts. Multiple offers anywhere even remotely desirable, major sellers market. I inspect, and have to turn down 15-20 requests a week just to prevent being booked out too far for our agent friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate