Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:18 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Seems strange in that there are several wedding venues that are old barns and stables...

There are restoration companies that guarantee to remove odors..
Not strange at all, it's not like they have cat urine or cigarette smoke in those barns. Plus it isn't enclosed tightly like a regular home. I don't know about companies but I have heard of the ozone air cleaner ones, and those are temporary as it doesn't get the smell out of flooring/walls etc.

Thankfully there are people with different levels of sensitivity of smells, it's no biggie that I am passing on one for someone else that can live with it just fine. I am just saying that for me personally, I have to do a lot more work that isn't cost effective to live in one.

Last edited by momtothree; 07-15-2015 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
Here's one to consider - I would RUN out of any house that smelled like cookies, baked goods, or pizza. I have a wheat allergy and those smells give me immediate severe stomach pains. While not common, something for all sellers to consider as in this day and age you never know what people are going to be allergic to.
That has to be very limiting -- if I were you, I'd stick to new construction.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:02 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Smoke and cat pee make me run.
I kind of wish I had this on a bumper sticker.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 AM

752 posts, read 1,494,471 times
One thing to keep in mind is some molds can smell like 'pet odors", specifically, cat/dog urine. Keep this in mind, especially if it is a place that has been sitting vacant for a while.
Personally, most smells do not deter me, unless if they are very strong and would be hard to get rid of (curry seems to be more difficult than smoke smells, in fact).

Old 07-15-2015, 09:50 AM

464 posts, read 804,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What scent do you use?
We use two scents usually. One is a leather/wood type of scent that goes well with our decor and the other is a pine/cedar scent that smells a bit like Rosemary.

We use the pine/cedar scent and a cookie-smelling scent around the holidays. Always receive compliments from guests.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:22 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
The only way I would buy a smelly home was if I was getting a really, really good deal on it. Smells can be gotten rid of with things like primer and new flooring. It's costly and annoying, though, so I'm only doing it if I'm getting something out of the deal -- like a greatly reduced price.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is some molds can smell like 'pet odors", specifically, cat/dog urine. Keep this in mind, especially if it is a place that has been sitting vacant for a while.
Personally, most smells do not deter me, unless if they are very strong and would be hard to get rid of (curry seems to be more difficult than smoke smells, in fact).
One realtor I spoke with had a theory about why it's so hard to get rid of curry smells. She said that A.) the spices themselves are extremely fragrant, and B.) a curry's base is (more often than not) made of ghee, which is clarified butter. When a pot is boiling and steaming on the stove, the steam goes everywhere and the ghee makes it stick to every single surface. Basically it's fragrance molecules in an oily carrier that will bind to and penetrate every surface it finds: walls, curtains, carpets, soft furnishings, wood floors, etc. It's very difficult to get rid of it. You almost need a professional cleaning crew and an entire week to do it.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:19 PM

698 posts, read 587,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
What, did you drive home naked?
Almost, but my brother brought us some clothes to wear home. The ethnic food stench was so strong in the house that we only spent a few minutes inside but it lingered in the nostrils for days afterward.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:25 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
If I smelled dog/cat odors, it just would let me know the house wasn't being taken care of that well. If it was minor and the house looked pretty good, I wouldn't worry, but if it was a stronger odor, I'd be out of there.

Baking cookies on "show day" is so weird to me. I would actually feel like they're just trying to manipulate me. I'm not going to consider a house more cuz of chocolate chip cookie smells! Or, candles, or scents put there. I think I'm looking at things more important than that!! Just give me a clean smell and a clean house.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:14 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I know an older couple who didn't want their house to smell like old people so they used
mothballs to kill the smell....you'd come out of there smelling like a mothball yourself..
awful, I don't think their sense of smell was working at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate