Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,901 times

Advertisements

Hello, my daughter just purchased a home in Kern County, CA. Escrow closed on Wednesday and they moved in on Thursday. Well she went to give the kids a bath in their bathroom and found out that there is water to everything else in the house but the bathtub. This was not disclosed to them in any of the paperwork. They do have a Home Warranty that was paid for by the selling agent who is also the listing agent. I told her to contact the agent as this should have been disclosed to them. They have 4 small children and paid over 250K for this house you would think someone should have told them.

Thanks for any advise.

Catherine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 01:05 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Did they get an inspection prior to purchasing? If not, why not?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:15 PM

306 posts, read 550,004 times
Right - Part of the inspection should be checking water flow to things like a tub. I'm amazed that something like this could be missed.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,901 times
This is her first home and her realtor told her she did not need an inspection as the realtor was buying her a home warranty.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:30 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpolly1234 View Post
This is her first home and her realtor told her she did not need an inspection as the realtor was buying her a home warranty.
Call the brokerage and speak to the broker in charge. Recount the story and ask the broker to explain why his/her agent would say something so blatantly wrong. They should be more than happy to take care of it right away. If not, and you can prove that the agent told your daughter that an inspection was not needed, call an attorney who likes to punish idiots.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:33 PM

307 posts, read 245,918 times
Solution:

1-call a plumber and find out what the problem is
2- have plumber fix the problem
3- Give the kids a bath
4-keep receipt and file a claim with the home warranty company

I would think that a person who could afford a $250K house would be able to pay a couple hundred to a plumber to fix the issue. It's really not that hard to get water to a bath tub.

Also I would be suspicious of anyone saying you don't 'need' an inspection for any reason, warranty or not. Definitely suspect behavior.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:37 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Quote:
This is absolutely the worse excuse I've heard of regarding no home inspection. Even for first time home buyer. Home warranty and home inspection are two totally different things.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:58 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Holy cow!!!!!!

No inspection - that's insane.

Now........is it possible there are water shutoff valves for the water lines leading to the tub? With such a strange sales situation, I think anything could be possible.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:16 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:

Nope, is all I've got.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:45 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheMatrix View Post
Solution:

1-call a plumber and find out what the problem is
2- have plumber fix the problem
3- Give the kids a bath
4-keep receipt and file a claim with the home warranty company

I would think that a person who could afford a $250K house would be able to pay a couple hundred to a plumber to fix the issue. It's really not that hard to get water to a bath tub.

Also I would be suspicious of anyone saying you don't 'need' an inspection for any reason, warranty or not. Definitely suspect behavior.
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. (I'm guessing that LostintheMatrix has never had a home warranty or ever had to file a claim)

You need to call the home warranty company FIRST. IF this is covered (and I'm not so sure it is), they will select and send someone to fix it. Daughter will have a deductible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Call the brokerage and speak to the broker in charge. Recount the story and ask the broker to explain why his/her agent would say something so blatantly wrong. They should be more than happy to take care of it right away. If not, and you can prove that the agent told your daughter that an inspection was not needed, call an attorney who likes to punish idiots.
This ^^^^

But in all honesty, daughter has to take some of the blame here. Ignorance is NOT an excuse. I just don't get why people don't do a little reading and educate themselves prior to making the biggest purchase of their lives. How come nobody sat down and read a few articles to learn how to buy a home. (Sorry, but I get pissed that people refuse to take any responsibility for their own stupidity.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate