Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A lot of this depends on how weak the Listing agent is in sticking up for his Sellers.
No one needs 10 days to do an Inspection. If there is a problem, the option period can be extended.
Rakin, you are insinuating that agents in our area (not your area) of Texas are somehow "weak" to accept a 10 day option period for a $100 option fee. You are not taking into consideration that this is a common, accepted and expected practice in this particular marketing area. That's not to say that the option period isn't negotiable, because of course it is. But it's not a sign of weakness in a listing agent to encourage a seller to accept a ten day option period for $100 option fee, as per a typical local contract, if the rest of the contract is strong.

The vast majority of contracts don't boil down to one line item anyway. The bottom line is the sum of the parts of a contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 06:57 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
An inspector who does three inspections a day is either rushing through it like a madman in order to hit the next house (to make more $$$) and skipping important things and/or working a ton of hours to do more inepctions each day (to get more $$$) and likely missing important things in that way.
An inspector who has a check list and does the same thorough inspection at each house has a system. The average inspections in my area take 2 1/3-3 hours. Some inspectors type of the report as they go along so it's fresh in their brain, and then they input pictures later. Others just record notes and type them up at night and send them by 8-9pm. Most inspections start at 8:30-9am and they're done by 11:30-12pm, as the next inspection time slot is usually around 12:30-1pm and then another around 4-5pm.

The only inspection I have EVER had take 6 hours was actually 7 hours because it was a duplex and they had to treat each side separately, and that 7 hours included getting an onsite report printed right there. 1 inspection day is sad, and no inspector in Austin would make a living on just 1 inspection a day, except in the slower season.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I'm hearing a lot of negativity toward professionals who are obviously working in DIFFERENT markets. It's not wise to assume that the pace or prices or even the "style" of various markets wouldn't have some variability. It would also be unwise not to tailor one's professional style to one's market.

What works well in one market doesn't necessarily work well in another market.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:16 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
While the inspection report is typically property of the inspection company and not to be shared with anyone but the person who payed for it, they could have told you orally. They chose not to. O well.
Actually they legally cannot tell your verbally, as they have no authority to do so.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:35 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
There is no pressure for the buyer to make a decision as it's not the seller's job to convince a buyer to buy. A buyer shouldn't be out looking at houses nor putting in offers on properties and go under contract if they weren't prepared to purchase a house.

If an inspector takes 2 days to get an inspection report out, they will never get business from me or any agent I know again. That's uncalled for. Most inspectors do 3 inspections a day, except in the fall when there's not enough daylight and it's 2 inspections. There is absolutely no reason to not have the report the same day. 5 days is generous to get an inspector at the house and figure out if they want to move forward with the purchase.
Sounds like you use a lot of CheckBox Chimp Inspectors? There is no way to properly perform 2 and 3 inspections a day and provide proper reports for them unless they are performing nothing but minimal inspections and most likely not even that!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:43 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
An inspector who has a check list and does the same thorough inspection at each house has a system. The average inspections in my area take 2 1/3-3 hours. Some inspectors type of the report as they go along so it's fresh in their brain, and then they input pictures later. Others just record notes and type them up at night and send them by 8-9pm. Most inspections start at 8:30-9am and they're done by 11:30-12pm, as the next inspection time slot is usually around 12:30-1pm and then another around 4-5pm.

The only inspection I have EVER had take 6 hours was actually 7 hours because it was a duplex and they had to treat each side separately, and that 7 hours included getting an onsite report printed right there. 1 inspection day is sad, and no inspector in Austin would make a living on just 1 inspection a day, except in the slower season.
Yep, that's what I thought. The Inspector uses a "checklist" of the bare minimum that the licensing agency requires them to inspect. The problem with the Checkbox Chimps is if it isn't on their little checklist, and not a fast and confusing comment in their reporting software, most likely it isn't making it into the report!

I've told my Wife a hundred times if I wanted to be a CheckBox Chimp Inspector I could do 2 and 3 inspections and reports a day. Then I could make everyone happy except the client (buyer). But hey the buyer isn't important here are they?

Old 09-21-2015, 05:55 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I've told my Wife a hundred times if I wanted to be a CheckBox Chimp Inspector I could do 2 and 3 inspections and reports a day. Then I could make everyone happy except the client (buyer). But hey the buyer isn't important here are they?
The Inspectors I'm familiar with can do 2 a day... 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon but it all depends on the size of the home and the situations.

Usually he'll be working till at least 6pm and completing the final reports later that evening to be emailed. Based on the "average" city house, 2 a day is not unusual.

And yes, even in TX not every home sold is in a hot market. But most of the major metropolitan areas are.
Katheryn, aren't you still near Tyler? Tyler last I heard is a hot market with brisk sales. Not so much if you are out in the countryside.

Hundred of thousands homes sale yearly. All situations will vary.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:00 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A lot of this depends on how weak the Listing agent is in sticking up for his Sellers.
No one needs 10 days to do an Inspection. If there is a problem, the option period can be extended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Rakin, you are insinuating that agents in our area (not your area) of Texas are somehow "weak" to accept a 10 day option period for a $100 option fee. You are not taking into consideration that this is a common, accepted and expected practice in this particular marketing area. That's not to say that the option period isn't negotiable, because of course it is. But it's not a sign of weakness in a listing agent to encourage a seller to accept a ten day option period for $100 option fee, as per a typical local contract, if the rest of the contract is strong.

The vast majority of contracts don't boil down to one line item anyway. The bottom line is the sum of the parts of a contract.
Correct. Even in hot TX markets, such as where I live in Houston, the ten day option period is standard.

Quote:
There is no pressure for the buyer to make a decision as it's not the seller's job to convince a buyer to buy. A buyer shouldn't be out looking at houses nor putting in offers on properties and go under contract if they weren't prepared to purchase a house.

If an inspector takes 2 days to get an inspection report out, they will never get business from me or any agent I know again. That's uncalled for. Most inspectors do 3 inspections a day, except in the fall when there's not enough daylight and it's 2 inspections. There is absolutely no reason to not have the report the same day. 5 days is generous to get an inspector at the house and figure out if they want to move forward with the purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Falcon, I don't know who these "most inspectors" are that you know of, but if they are doing three inspections a day, they aren't doing a good job of inspections. Why? Because doing a thorough inspection takes time. My wife believes that when a client hires her, they hire her for the day. She does ONE TREC inspection a day because she doesn't want to rush through it and miss something important. As soon as she's finished, she goes back to the office, types up her report, and emails it to the client and buyer's agent. Even on very small homes it takes 6 hours minimum: about 3 to do the inspection, do a verbal review with the client at the home, and another 3 to type up the report and send it out.

An inspector who does three inspections a day is either rushing through it like a madman in order to hit the next house (to make more $$$) and skipping important things and/or working a ton of hours to do more inspections each day (to get more $$$) and likely missing important things in that way.

Quote:
Sounds like you use a lot of CheckBox Chimp Inspectors? There is no way to properly perform 2 and 3 inspections a day and provide proper reports for them unless they are performing nothing but minimal inspections and most likely not even that!
Quote:
Yep, that's what I thought. The Inspector uses a "checklist" of the bare minimum that the licensing agency requires them to inspect. The problem with the Checkbox Chimps is if it isn't on their little checklist, and not a fast and confusing comment in their reporting software, most likely it isn't making it into the report!

Exactly, escanlan. Inspectors have licenses to protect just as realtors do. Not only that, but hopefully the inspector (who may be hired by the buyer OR the seller) has pride in his/her job and want to do the best job possible in order to benefit his/her clients and give them the most information as they can so they can make an informed decision. By doing one inspection a day, my wife and many, if not most, other inspectors in this area are able to concentrate on completing the one task at hand for the day. They concentrate on quality before quantity. Sure, she doesn't make as much money as inspectors who do multiple inspections a day, but that's OK with her. She makes a decent living doing it, and goes to bed at night feeling as if she's done the right thing by her clients. That's important to her.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:35 AM

8 posts, read 13,032 times
I just think that the future buyers wanted out of contract and used that contingency .....

Old 09-21-2015, 07:33 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by li2lancaster View Post
I just think that the future buyers wanted out of contract and used that contingency .....
That's one reason the Option Period exists. If they get cold feet it's better to do it early and not a week before closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate