Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 03:05 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times

Advertisements

Otter, I don't know how small your town is, but here in Redneckville, pop. 650, our junk was always someone's treasure. I have left at the foot of the driveway, for free......

large CRT tv
broken/non running lawn mowers
broken/non running snowblowers
furniture
file cabinets

and it ALL was gone in a few hours.

I don't know what kind of stuff you have, but check you local free Pennysaver type newspaper. People are always advertising to do clean outs and haul away scrap metal. Srap metal guys take it for free, clean out guys charge.

So get a price from the got junk franchisees, then get a quote from the local newspaper guy. You may even have some stuff they want and would be willing to barter for.

Has your realtor been of any assistance? It can't hurt to ask.......just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:36 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, it's true that I'm not looking forward to it... But I'm not "annoyed" except by that one stalker who keeps harassing me; I was merely asking. As a single woman living alone, I won't be inviting strangers from Craig's List into my home, nor do I wish to bother driving each individual item to a public location for pennies on the dollar. Thanks for the responses!
Have you considered showing CL buyers the stuff for sale in the garage with the garage door open? I've done that many, many times. . .

Old 09-30-2015, 04:43 PM

820 posts, read 1,740,155 times
Quote:
Well, it's true that I'm not looking forward to it... But I'm not "annoyed" except by that one stalker who keeps harassing me; I was merely asking. As a single woman living alone, I won't be inviting strangers from Craig's List into my home, nor do I wish to bother driving each individual item to a public location for pennies on the dollar. Thanks for the responses!
While I may be alone here (I doubt that I am though) I am excited for you to close and be done with this as you have whined, complained and made excuses for everything that has happened in this process you have so incredibly detailed.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:56 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Bad idea. The new owners don't want your junk. If it's junk to you, it's even junkier to them. Get rid of it.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
They might do a walk through and ask you to pay them to haul your stuff off.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
When I left my last house it was clean top to bottom. I left 1 large box labeled 'new owner'. In the box were the house plans, appliance manuals/warranty stuff, extra tiles to match the ones on the floor in case of breakage, and extra of all the paint currently on the walls. I thought that was kind and I would have like someone to do that for me. I have actually had to replace tile floors when I could no longer get replacements for broken pieces. Other than that box the place was completely empty.

If I bought a house and went to do the final walkthrough and found it still full of 'stuff' I would insist it be removed and cleaned before closing.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Here's a novel idea: Ask the buyers what they want to do. Since they are strange enough to want your old family pictures, maybe they want your old family "junque", too.
I think you've got the wrong "let me post a new topic for every single step of my sale" seller. But only one of us is wrong.

I think otterhere is the one with an unwilling sibling and a house next to bunch of Hispanic tenants. Someone else has the "they talked about making an offer BUT they wanted all of our family pictures" house. I admit, I've lost track.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Actually, it's sellable/donatable stuff, not trash; the trash, I've thrown out...

Really; you'd refuse to close? I've always just dealt with it in the houses I've bought...
Have you contacted your local Goodwill or Salvation Army. Often these organizations will come load your donated things up and resell them.

I emptied a whole garage once this way...it was Wonderful. I had things boxed, they simply loaded their big truck. Just discuss with them how much room they are going to need in their truck so they are prepared to take all of it.

If that doesn't sound good, have your own open house basement sale. Have a friend come help you so that you aren't alone....And just let folks pick all of it, the rest give away on your berm.

I would never leave anything like you are describing.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
Wait, where did I put my violin? Can't find it, oh well.

I am a single woman living alone and I put a bunch of stuff up for Craigslist and Freecycle. I was able to get rid of a few things but, in general, most of my stuff remained in my basement until I called 1-800-Got-Junk. I had a bunch of no-shows for stuff. I found one needy family in a local city who I donated some stuff to. The rest? I had to pay to have hauled out. I can guarantee that even if you had some response from CL, or similar, you would still need to somehow haul the rest away (whether you do it yourself, or pay to have it done). Stop playing the martyr card and just suck it up and do what needs to be to be done to move on. Call it the cost of doing business.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 PM

192 posts, read 494,227 times
I am not a garage sale person, so when we sold our large family home to downsize for retirement, we had a lot of stuff to get rid of. We invited the couple who were buying our home over, knowing they were coming from a much smaller home, they had expressed interest in some of our belongings. Before they arrived I inventoried everything we no longer needed, put a price on each item, and wrote it all up with a grand total for everything. I then slashed the grand total in half and told the buyers if they took everything they could have it for the slashed price, otherwise each item would go for the full price. It took them seconds to take the "deal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate