Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 01:05 PM

18 posts, read 27,711 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

i'm considering buying land in los angeles county. The unincorporated part of the Santa monica mountains precisely.
The land percs well and i could build a 5 bedrooms house according geology and soil reports
However, the Zoning tells 1 dwelling unit per 10 acres and there is only 6.5 acre.
There are many houses built around on smaller lots which have been built before the adoption of the new zoning, even some only few years ago.

I guess it would need a zoning variance, but i have no clue how it works and what are the chances it fails.

Does anybody knows if it is risky business to buy land in these conditions and what are the chances a zoning variance goes through?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 02:33 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,526 times
You need to be talking face to face with the County.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:03 PM

536 posts, read 853,012 times
As a long time swimming pool / general contractor based out of Santa Clarita, I had numerous opportunities to visit the LA County Planning Commission offices, downtown by Temple & Hill Streets, with consumer requests for variances.

The mountains around Santa Clarita are in the rural fire zone, just like unincorporated areas above Santa Monica & Malibu. Due to the lack of water, difficult access, & severe fire hazard, there are very stringent building / zoning codes that differ widely from the more populated incorporated areas of LA county.

My experience was that the commission doesn't take kindly to zoning variance requests (especially those that involve set-backs)...& the only way you can find out definitively is to pay the application fee, & go through the long process, with no guarantee of approval.

http://planning.lacounty.gov/faq/zoning/

Last edited by BrokerHarry; 10-19-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 04:20 PM

18 posts, read 27,711 times
Thanks for the input, sounds like a risky gamble..
buying land, doing all the engineering, drafting plans and submitting without any guarantee of approval..

I'm not talking about setbacks here but about density;
that would be 6.5 acre for 1 dwelling unit instead of 10 acres:/

Zoning code was amended 10/10/14

Previous land subdivision was performed under a different code.
It was originally one large lot which got divided in 3 parcels ranging from 6 to 7 acres.
One parcel only was built and the others remained vacant. These are the parcels i'm considering now

difficult decision..

Old 10-19-2015, 05:40 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Make the contract to purchase contingent on your being allowed to build a 5-bedroom house on the property. Then set things in motion to get a variance.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911cedric View Post
Thanks for the input, sounds like a risky gamble..
buying land, doing all the engineering, drafting plans and submitting without any guarantee of approval..

I'm not talking about setbacks here but about density;
that would be 6.5 acre for 1 dwelling unit instead of 10 acres:/

Zoning code was amended 10/10/14

Previous land subdivision was performed under a different code.
It was originally one large lot which got divided in 3 parcels ranging from 6 to 7 acres.
One parcel only was built and the others remained vacant. These are the parcels i'm considering now

difficult decision..
Not difficult at all- make your deal contingent on the variance (ideally permits granted as well so you really reduce your risk) and post a deposit so they take it off the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate