Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:10 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times

Advertisements

This sounds like a larger builder. Stay on them. You will probably need to have your lawyer write them a letter demanding proper response per the contract or they will just wait you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 10:34 AM

39 posts, read 82,471 times
Update: just got a e-mail from the builder:
"Apologies for the delay in getting back with you. I got your message from the office this morning. I am meeting with our partner on this deal today to discuss this and several other items. I will be in touch today with an answer. Thanks for your patience. "

Old 10-23-2015, 11:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey621 View Post
"Apologies for the delay in getting back with you. I got your message from the office this morning. I am meeting with our partner on this deal today to discuss this and several other items. I will be in touch today with an answer. Thanks for your patience. "
Email him back to let him know you will be calling him by 3 pm. Make sure he doesn't "knock off early" for the weekend without getting back to you.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:17 PM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
OP did the builder call? What did he say?

Old 10-23-2015, 04:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey621 View Post
I predict a non-committal, vague response. Something along the lines of: sorry, irrelevant excuse, stupid reason, we will get right on it as soon as you sign the extension.

If you intend to continue with this company, I would only sign the extension if they include a liquidated damages clause. This way you stand a chance of being compensated if they continue to run late. Talk to a lawyer about the concept of liquidated damages, many people think if this as a penalty, but it is more a cost recovery.

I would also ask to see audited financial statements, then gave a qualified accountant review them.

I doubt that a builder would agree to either liquidated damages or supplying audited financials though. i would want to walk away from any company that operated like this.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:17 PM

39 posts, read 82,471 times
Hi everyone - thanks again for all the support with this dilemma. Here is the response I got from the builder via e-mail:

"Thanks for your patience. I have reviewed the entire situation and made some decisions. Please be aware I am not avoiding your phone calls…… In these situations I prefer that we discuss over email so there is a record of what we discussed to avoid misunderstanding and confusion. There are a few factors to consider."

"The development was not done by us. There was no way to control it [the delays] or “absorb” delays and account for potential closing dates of homes. We had been clear at the time of contract the start date was undetermined. It has been proven to me that we have communicated all along that homes have not been permitted or started. I feel like we have done exactly what we said we would do. The process of development and the timeliness of the development contractor are absolutely no reflection on our ability to complete the home. "

"We decided we have to hold the line across the board on compensation for delays so we will not be able to offer that."

"I understand if you prefer to walk away from the deal. That is certainly your decision."

"We have increased the sales price since, so remember there is equity built into your deal. I will be out of town this weekend and Monday. I would suggest taking some time to think about the decision and let me or the realtor know. Thank you.
"

Thoughts?

Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
As I said. A completely non-commital response. I see no dates, promises or guarantees. Just a vague apology, some random excuses, some buck-passing, a sales pitch, and the acknowledgement that you can walk away, but without an offer of a full refund.

It seems that you did not have a contract with the developer, but rather with some third party? That adds a new twist to things, as it seems the people with whom you signed a contract have some wiggle room as a result. I suspect that it is merely a paper shell setup to allow them this wiggle room, but it probably makes it more complicated legally.

You have two options. Accept the terms this guy is giving you, which means that you have zero assurance about any completion date, or....

Follow the advice of people on this thread. Take the communications back to your lawyer and stop talking to this guy. Get the lawyer to tell you if you are getting your deposit back, then have all future communication go through counsel.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:00 PM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Who was the development done by? What was the name of the company you signed the original contract with and what is the name of the company that sent you the email. This is very confusing to me. We are missing so much information that its difficult to help you. Short of publishing your entire contract and all email on here my advice and the advice of the others is to stop talking to them and see what your lawyer says to do.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:01 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Simple enough...if you want the house wait. If you don't want the house demand your money back and walk. The rest is just noise.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:21 PM

227 posts, read 258,263 times
Fishbrains said it nicely. Get your money back and find something else. This is a sinking ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate