Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 04:48 PM

39 posts, read 82,275 times

Advertisements

Hi had a consultation with him. I have a legal benefit through my employer called Hyatt Legal plan. It gets me free consultations with certain types of layers with certain situations. I did sent the lawyer the complete contract and forwarded him all the email conversations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 09:07 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,725 times
back out if you can. what could be causing the delay?

My house took about 3 months to build but the builder was fairly accurate in the timelines he projected.

i suspect if you have problems, the builder will drag his feet causing you more headaches. Winter is fast approaching but that doesn't appear to slow down the builders much.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Really? Your attorney let you sign that contract? I would be having a serious talk with that lawyer, because he really dropped the ball. If you signed the contract without legal review, you deserve to lose your money. It's probably already been spent anyway. Did you even get the financials on the builder before giving him your money?

Old 10-21-2015, 05:48 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Why is this just coming up now? Didn't you notice 3, or 2 or even 1 month ago that ground had not been broken?

Old 10-21-2015, 07:29 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Since your employer is providing you with free legal benefits just wait until your lawyer has an answer for you. Let us know what he says and take it from there.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:40 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
You needed an attorney when you first signed the contract! You needed to get everything in writing along the way - emails work for this. You needed to stay in constant contact with the realtor, builder, and attorney throughout the process. Why on earth you would wait until the day you're supposed to close to say something is beyond me! And your free attorney through work is NOT the same as hiring a real estate attorney to represent you. YOU need to PAY a real estate attorney who is local and knows the state and local laws.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:53 AM

drove by the development again yesterday after work. still no change, but they are putting up dry wall on a house 6-7 rows down.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
And your free attorney through work is NOT the same as hiring a real estate attorney to represent you. YOU need to PAY a real estate attorney who is local and knows the state and local laws.
Yeah. If you want to make them perform or get something out of them for not performing, you need an actual paid REAL ESTATE lawyer, in your area.

Otherwise, you are stuck waiting and paying for any costs yourself. If this a larger builder, I can promise they have had that contract drafted by attorneys and they believe they have you no matter what happens. You will not come away without a loss without competent representation. Period.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:42 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by real attorney. This is a local attorney who lives ~20 minutes from that development. It is not free. It's free for me, but my employer is paying for this via the Hyatt program.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey621 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by real attorney. This is a local attorney who lives ~20 minutes from that development. It is not free. It's free for me, but my employer is paying for this via the Hyatt program.
Make sure you're using a real estate attorney not just any old attorney. Most become experts in a specific type of law. Real estate attorneys deal with real estate on a daily basis and know all the ins and outs of the law. Criminal lawyers know nothing or very little about real estate.

Typically, those employer paid attorney things are a group of attorneys one calls on the phone for advise. They're not local. No idea what the Hyatt program is. I just know how these programs have worked for my husband through various employers over the years.

And remember....you get what you pay for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate