Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 01:36 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times

Advertisements

They are always done here in New England as part of a buyout. Your situation was way ahead of that point. Go back and read the OP's first post - the relo company had an inspection done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 04:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
When you were told he ReLo company is involved, it means you are buying it from the ReLo company for all practical purposes. They are the ones that are making the decision, as they are buying out the sellers at a guaranteed amount.

There is no way they are going to pay to replace the air conditioners. No intelligent seller is going to replace the air conditioners because they are 10 years old. Many homes have them over 20 years old, that are still working as good as they ever did. All it means is if they are over 10 years old, they are out of warranty but that is no reason to replace them.

The roof if it is rated to not last 2 years or longer, is another story for some loans. The lender may require it be replaced before they will loan on it. If the roof is rated to last less than 2 years, you can demand a discount or a new roof, or it may already be priced down with this under consideration.

Roofs may last a long time, or a limited time depending on circumstances. A roof that is even brand new today, may be gone a week later. This house we live in, had a little wind blown off shingles on the peak. We had them replaced, and the roof inspected. The roof company wrote a report that any replacement needed had been done, and was in excellent condition. The next year (5 years ago), there was a horrible hail storm and over half the homes in the area had to have roofs replaced. The insurance company wanted to cut the settlement as it was a 16 year old roof involved. That letter from the roofing company, got us a new roof for $800 deductible. The roof cost $13,500 to replace due to the size and the fact it was special shingles. Always if you have any work done, get a roofing company to state the condition in a letter as it may help you as it did us. Instead of paying about $10,000 it cost us $800 deductible.

Another personal example. My wife and I sold a beautiful big brick ranch style we owned with a redwood shake roof. The roof was original and 20 years old, but in good shape. We had moved out and the house was vacant a couple of weeks before closing. There was a huge hail storm a week before closing. Suddenly there was no shingle more than 2 inches wide. I had to call the buyer and let them know. I told her she was the luckiest person in town. She wanted to know why. I told her she was getting a new roof courtesy of the insurance company. I paid the $500 deductible and the roof was guaranteed to be replaced as soon as possible by the insurance company and they had written me a letter to that effect. We closed on time.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,280 times
ok so we heard from the relo company and they did fix everything that was on the inspection report(which they did request and send to us) BUT the roof which is understandable after reading all the comments.

The actual AC was not replaced but the part that was broken was fixed. We're going to go ahead and get our own inspection and a roof contractor and take it from there. We love the house so much and are open to replacing the roof in the next 2 years if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Another personal example. My wife and I sold a beautiful big brick ranch style we owned with a redwood shake roof. The roof was original and 20 years old, but in good shape. We had moved out and the house was vacant a couple of weeks before closing. There was a huge hail storm a week before closing. Suddenly there was no shingle more than 2 inches wide. I had to call the buyer and let them know. I told her she was the luckiest person in town. She wanted to know why. I told her she was getting a new roof courtesy of the insurance company. I paid the $500 deductible and the roof was guaranteed to be replaced as soon as possible by the insurance company and they had written me a letter to that effect. We closed on time.
exactly. we have experienced hail damage in our area and our current home has a 5 yr old roof due to hail damage. this new house has had some shingles replaced due to hail damage from another time. so like you said, its not guaranteed.

the relo company situation is just what was new to us.

Thanks so much for the comments everyone.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:33 AM

23 posts, read 20,791 times
When you are buying a house in its current condition and you don't get to say "what if the roof needs to be replaced in 2 years" or "what if the 10 year old AC goes out next Summer.Every single buyer could say something like that about every single house on the market. The AC works and the seller is selling today, he's selling a working AC with the house. The roof is working as intended today and is selling the house today so he is selling a house with a usable, leak-free roof.You don't get to ask for credits because you must have to replace something in the future. What if it needs to be replaced in 5 years but you sell in 4 years and never replaced because they still worked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate