Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 03:51 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
RE Agents are not as well paid as electricians and plumbers. I would also note I went through a number of plumbers over the years before I found a couple who I now recommend. Either unreasonably expensive or not very good.

Nor do agents have the training and certification that licensed electricians and plumbers have.

You cannot just take a course and tada you are an electrician lol

I don't see why you would compare licensed professionals like electricians and plumbers with agents. Yes you can say they have a license as well but you cant compare the training and requirements of an electrician and someone who just takes a course and a test haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 06:25 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
When I get back to the office I run a set of searches then a few spread sheets and tell my client what the place is worth. If I know anything about the place...half the time...I share it. I certainly tell the client the owner bought the place three years ago for $215K and is now trying to get $350K. Then we discuss what the client wishes to do.
That's what I mean - your job is clean and nice and yet you have no requirements for education or no legal responsibility (beyond what you VOLUNTEER to be on the hook for), yet I pay 6% commission on my house sale.

Quote:
A plumber who wants 400 or 500 to install a water heater is not recommendable. Ever. Maybe you think all these tradesman are saints...maybe says something about your understanding of how the world works.
A real estate agent who charges 6% commission on a house sale.... oh, whatever, you see where this is going...

Quote:
Generally my wife does the understanding bit. I point out that you have to be financial nuts to pay $50k more than the place is possibly worth. If however the client says "buy it any way" I do so. Client are in charge. My job is to make sure they understand and that they get properly represented. I do what they say..not what I think they should do.
My wife and I have long stopped "understanding" stuff. We are too dense for it. Even with all her degrees and all my degrees, we just don't get it If we did, we would chuck all them degrees and take a few hours of real estate classes, buy a camera and join the smart folks. Heck, I can write better than most, I can work a computer better than most, I do have a pulse (still) and a car. Did I miss any other requirements? Are you hiring?

Old 12-23-2015, 06:47 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,910 times
This is an old and long thread, but there are some real estate agents that actually KNOW what they're doing, and work their tail ends off to sell a house. They stage it properly, clean it up, or make recommendations to the seller on what to clean up/stage. The problem often happens when the seller doesn't listen to the realtor and they think they're selling the Taj Mahal, when most people think their home is meh. They also overprice it, which is a huge "no no." The realtor is not in a position to force the seller to price it accordingly, and/or they provide poor comps.

I found my realtor by her listings. I noticed the homes she was commissioned to, sold fast, and in not too desirable locations near me. Her listing pictures were lovely and properly staged, and the verbiage on the listing was well written. I interviewed her and she was very very professional. I, as a seller, also worked my tail end off to make sure the house was pristine looking as well. Selling a house is a mutual thing that BOTH the realtor, as well as the seller, need to work on. That being said, I find, more often than not, horrible listings and I often shake my head at certain ones. I even went to a showing of a home owned by a realtor, and it was a great example of how NOT to stage a home. It's amazing how clueless some realtors are. I honestly don't know how they sell homes when I see things like this.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:12 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
And I just repped you, because I among probably every agent that posts here on CD agrees with you.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
And I just repped you, because I among probably every agent that posts here on CD agrees with you.
Ditto.

I liked this line:
"I even went to a showing of a home owned by a realtor...)
LOL Some of them ARE amazing. I really like cellphone photos on an agent-owned home...

But too often, they are the home of an agent who overbought when flush with money and cannot continue to afford to own.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:48 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Last time I wore a tie was my mothers funeral...5 years ago. Other than that I wear jeans and golf shirts.

When I get back to the office I run a set of searches then a few spread sheets and tell my client what the place is worth. If I know anything about the place...half the time...I share it. I certainly tell the client the owner bought the place three years ago for $215K and is now trying to get $350K. Then we discuss what the client wishes to do.

A plumber who wants 400 or 500 to install a water heater is not recommendable. Ever. Maybe you think all these tradesman are saints...maybe says something about your understanding of how the world works. An a guy who does not make his appointments also ends up off the list. I use the same people I recommend and anyone who can't perform won't stay on the list. You might try the same for your RE Agent.

Generally my wife does the understanding bit. I point out that you have to be financial nuts to pay $50k more than the place is possibly worth. If however the client says "buy it any way" I do so. Client are in charge. My job is to make sure they understand and that they get properly represented. I do what they say..not what I think they should do.
How would you react if he charged more to install in a $200K home vs a $350K home. Or like agents charged by percentage of value of home.

Call up plumbers or electricians and have them quote you with "price to install your water heater or fix your electrical panel is 2% of your house value". How would you feel?

Because generally it costs the same to install that water heater whether it sits in a $200K vs a $350K home, right.

Selling a $200K vs $350K home takes same amount of work. Why can't we apply the same principle to every other service?

Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
How would you react if he charged more to install in a $200K home vs a $350K home. Or like agents charged by percentage of value of home.

Call up plumbers or electricians and have them quote you with "price to install your water heater or fix your electrical panel is 2% of your house value". How would you feel?

Because generally it costs the same to install that water heater whether it sits in a $200K vs a $350K home, right.

Selling a $200K vs $350K home takes same amount of work. Why can't we apply the same principle to every other service?
Meh, whatever.

Service providers and tradespeople commonly have a sliding scale for work, depending on their perception of the affluency of the town or neighborhood.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:01 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Meh, whatever.

Service providers and tradespeople commonly have a sliding scale for work, depending on their perception of the affluency of the town or neighborhood.
Can you provide a source for that info? I don't believe that's the case for most service providers.

I would love to read that article. Thanks!

Old 12-23-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Can you provide a source for that info? I don't believe that's the case for most service providers.

I would love to read that article. Thanks!
It springs from working in the trades and in the field for years, and having people tell me they do that.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Yawn.

This meaningless thread is far too long and boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate