Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 04:53 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

your awesome Realtor would know the answer to your question. seek their counsel. of course you can buy a house "sight unseen" in this modern day of: knowing th neighborhood/vicintiy already and seeing pictures/having said Realtor preview the home for you.

What are your obligations in given state to perform on the contract? Loss of how much earnest money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:43 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile From a mortgage broker in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I have been on here before but things have changed. I am approved for an FHA Loan. Now, I am in another state from where the property is I want. I have seen enough pictures and I have a very good realtor that has been in the business 29 years. Is it possible to put an offer in while I am in another state If I feel it is what it is ? Has it been done is all I really want to know and if it has how did you go about it ? I know exactly where the property is located and we have been vacationing in that area for 10 years but we just now are able to buy with the FHA Loan. I put an offer on a house and it didn't pass, the well was too close to the septic so that fell thorough. The house I found now is the one I want very much. Again, can I put an offer on the house from my state ? Can it be done. I really need you all to help if you can. My husband is not in a position to make any decisions. He says if I love it go with it and he will be happy he has Mild Dementia. Help with info please..
TaraJane:
Even though I'm located on SE coast, I've done loans in the area you are buying in. An FHA loan is for a primary home so as long as it will be your primary home, that is fine.

I'll DM you my info - you can call or e-mail me. I will answer all your questions and there is no commitment. Just for the info.

Bette

PS - If you are in Kentucky, yes, you may put an offer in on a home in Florida. No problem. Your income is retirement type income so it does not matter where you now.

I'm sorry the other one fell through.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:02 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, OP ... you want to buy a HOUSE sight-unseen? Really?

(Am I the only one who thinks that's a little, well, nuts?)
It happens more than you might think. Especially when people are familiar with the neighborhood and floor plans. People buying second homes. Military families.

The purchase contract for the first home my husband and I bought together was done before he saw the house. We had been shopping for awhile and it came on the market at a good price while he was out of town Before internet, so he didn't even see photos before I had an accepted offer.

Our last home in Mesa, AZ sold to a couple in ND. They saw it on the MLS, asked their realtor to go see it and confirm the photos were accurate, and sent us an offer that evening for full price. Wife never saw the house until months after closing, but husband did fly down for the inspection. They also bought 70% of the furniture and TV's, stereos, etc. Funny story: In their offer, they specifically requested we leave the drapes in the living room and kitchen AND give them they brand and color name of the accent paint I had used in those two connecting rooms. She liked the paint color so much that she wanted to do more of it in those rooms.

Which explains why I'm a huge fan of Realtors who take great photos (or hire a pro).

Old 01-24-2016, 10:39 AM

676 posts, read 936,740 times
Default Photos

My lender AND realtor offered to go take pictures for me ! I was shocked but let me know how great they are. I'm glad I can make and offer if I want but have to find out ALL the money needed to do all the things that need done. I had one realtor that said she MUST INSIST I come down and look at the property...needless to say.......I will go down if needed but every penny I spend now is one I won't have for all the costs. FHA Loan needs surveys, inspections, working out closing costs, insurance, etc. etc. goes on and on........but worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It happens more than you might think. Especially when people are familiar with the neighborhood and floor plans. People buying second homes. Military families.

The purchase contract for the first home my husband and I bought together was done before he saw the house. We had been shopping for awhile and it came on the market at a good price while he was out of town Before internet, so he didn't even see photos before I had an accepted offer.

Our last home in Mesa, AZ sold to a couple in ND. They saw it on the MLS, asked their realtor to go see it and confirm the photos were accurate, and sent us an offer that evening for full price. Wife never saw the house until months after closing, but husband did fly down for the inspection. They also bought 70% of the furniture and TV's, stereos, etc. Funny story: In their offer, they specifically requested we leave the drapes in the living room and kitchen AND give them they brand and color name of the accent paint I had used in those two connecting rooms. She liked the paint color so much that she wanted to do more of it in those rooms.

Which explains why I'm a huge fan of Realtors who take great photos (or hire a pro).

Old 01-24-2016, 11:43 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Um, OP ... you want to buy a HOUSE sight-unseen? Really?

(Am I the only one who thinks that's a little, well, nuts?)
Nope. Your question about if you can buy a house from another state is really odd. Of course you can do all aspects of a purchase remotely, it's common sense. But the seemingly eager acceptance of buying a property sight unseen is a much bigger issue IMO.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:06 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
your awesome Realtor would know the answer to your question. seek their counsel. of course you can buy a house "sight unseen" in this modern day of: knowing th neighborhood/vicintiy already and seeing pictures/having said Realtor preview the home for you.
Of course you CAN, but I think it's a really, really bad idea to spend (usually) hundreds of thousands of dollars on something you haven't even SEEN?

Sure, you can see the floor plan, all the pictures, etc., but you can't really get a feel for the NEIGHBORS and the NEIGHBORHOOD without being there in person -- at least once!! I would think that would just be common sense?

(And someone mentioned that military families do this -- well, maybe SOME do, but most live on base if they can, they don't buy too many houses given how often they have to move. I know, I grew up in the military!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Nope. Your question about if you can buy a house from another state is really odd. Of course you can do all aspects of a purchase remotely, it's common sense. But the seemingly eager acceptance of buying a property sight unseen is a much bigger issue IMO.
By "your question" I assume you mean the OP's question, not mine? (You were answering my post ... I assume by "nope" you meant I am not nuts , but after that you were responding to the OP ...)

I have rented an apartment sight-unseen (when I was moving from California to Michigan for grad school, and I couldn't afford a special trip out to Michigan to look at apartments) -- and it was a nightmare for basically the whole year I had to be there (noise, mice, gas meter in the bedroom, etc.). But that was just a RENTAL that I could get out of after a year. MUCH harder to "get out of" a house!! So I, too, am curious about the OP's "eager acceptance" of such a thing.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 PM

676 posts, read 936,740 times
I have chosen 2 properties I like. My niece is heading to FL to vaca and she said she would spend a day looking for me with my realtor. However two of the properties do not want to go FHA,, cash LOL or conventional. There seems to be a stigma about FHA Loans. Could someone explain this to me ? I have been approved and now just have to find the right property for me. Thank you

Old 01-26-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
(And someone mentioned that military families do this -- well, maybe SOME do, but most live on base if they can, they don't buy too many houses given how often they have to move. I know, I grew up in the military!)
The world has changed a lot since you were a kid.

Quote:
as of FY 2007, it currently houses about 10 percent of its families on-base, owning and operating about 134,000 housing units worldwide.
Source: DoD Military Housing Privatization

As far as military families who own their own homes, a quick internet search showed percentages ranging from 29% to 58%. (I suspect the higher numbers include National Guard and Reservists.)

Old 01-26-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I have chosen 2 properties I like. My niece is heading to FL to vaca and she said she would spend a day looking for me with my realtor. However two of the properties do not want to go FHA,, cash LOL or conventional. There seems to be a stigma about FHA Loans. Could someone explain this to me ? I have been approved and now just have to find the right property for me. Thank you
If you're looking at condo's, some (many in Florida) are not approved by the FHA, usually because they have too many units owned by investors or too many units have been rented by the owners. FHA will not loan in those buildings.

If you're looking at SFR, many homeowners shy away from FHA and VA loans believing that those type of loans will take longer to close, will require them to shell out more money after lender inspections (These are NOT the same as the inspection that you pay for yourself, and ABSOLUTELY need to get), that the buyers are not going to get final approval with the low down programs, etc. I'm not a lender or a Realtor, but I think that negativity from seller's about FHA and VA loans is a little over the top UNLESS the seller already knows that their home has issues. (So, if the seller refuses to accept an offer that includes FHA or VA loans, I'd start to worry about what they are hiding. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.)

Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 PM

By the way, for those who don't believe that people really buy homes they have never seen:

Quote:
One in five Americans who bought a home in the past two years said they had made an offer on a home they had never visited, based on a poll of 2,100 recent buyers conducted for Redfin by SurveyMonkey. People who paid more than $750,000 for their homes were particularly likely to make a blind bid, with 53 percent of them submitting an offer sight unseen. So were millennials, 30 percent of whom made such an offer.
Sources: Would You Buy This House Sight Unseen? - Bloomberg Business
Survey: One in Five Homebuyers Made an Offer Sight Unseen | Business Wire
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/survey...120000491.html

Personally, I think that the numbers claimed above are on the high side. It's a small sample size and skewed towards those who use the internet a lot (since the survey itself is only available ON the internet). I'm also not necessarily believing that Redfin designed the survey properly. Nevertheless, it's clear that a significant portion of the population IS buying homes sight unseen, and this trend will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate