Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 05:00 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,118 times

Advertisements

For some time I have been interested in relocating to the PNW from the SW. The approximate distance is about 1400 miles. Complicating my search are some issues and questions that I think only realtors or experienced movers can answer. And I am neither....

My interest is in 4 areas: Salem, OR, the OR coast from Depoe Bay to Manzanita, Olympia/Lacey, WA and Issaquah, WA. I'm especially interested in an HOA community and more narrowly, a 55+ active community. Here are my challenges and questions-

1. Because I have 3 (indoor only) cats I need a community which will accept us. I have found it very difficult to locate Rules, Regulations, etc. online. There are many sites claiming "pet friendly" and that claim seems to differ a lot from community to community. I am also interested in noise restrictions and how often children can "visit". What is the trick to finding these CRR's?

2. The logistics; I can't expect one realtor to be familiar with all the above locations. I also can't travel by air round trip four times to see what is what in terms of the fit. Do I have to locate four specific properties and four specific agents; if so how are the agents compensated?

3. I was especially interested in a home in Depoe Bay that was on the market for quite some time. I emailed the realtor offering to rent it for six months furnished and paying the entire amount in advance. I thought this would give me a good opportunity to come and go- probably by air from where I am located to PDX and then visit the other areas by rental car. Never heard from the realtor. Did I violate some protocol?

Any help with any of the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 07:42 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
I would contact the HOA directly to ask these questions and not the realtor. They may even send you a copy of the regulations if you tell them you are considering living in their community.
As far as the rental house is concerned anything could have happened. I would try again to contact that realtor. Maybe your email was overlooked, accidentally deleted or maybe never even received. Things like that happen.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:03 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
In regard to the rental you wanted, the house was for sale, not for rent. The owners probably have zero interest in becoming landlords, and even less interest in 3 cats all over their furniture. The afent probably deleted your email as nonsensical.

I've relicated several times, and looked at different areas from a distance several times. My first question is how are you planning to pay for this new place? Are you working, retired or independently wealthy? If working, do you work from home?

Old 01-31-2016, 09:07 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
For some time I have been interested in relocating to the PNW from the SW. The approximate distance is about 1400 miles. Complicating my search are some issues and questions that I think only realtors or experienced movers can answer. And I am neither....

My interest is in 4 areas: Salem, OR, the OR coast from Depoe Bay to Manzanita, Olympia/Lacey, WA and Issaquah, WA. I'm especially interested in an HOA community and more narrowly, a 55+ active community. Here are my challenges and questions-

1. Because I have 3 (indoor only) cats I need a community which will accept us. I have found it very difficult to locate Rules, Regulations, etc. online. There are many sites claiming "pet friendly" and that claim seems to differ a lot from community to community. I am also interested in noise restrictions and how often children can "visit". What is the trick to finding these CRR's?

The trick is to contact the HOA that the home is part of and ask.

2. The logistics; I can't expect one realtor to be familiar with all the above locations. I also can't travel by air round trip four times to see what is what in terms of the fit. Do I have to locate four specific properties and four specific agents; if so how are the agents compensated?

Agents are compensated by a commission on sales. If you want to hire an agent by the hour as a consultant to show you around, I suspect that can be arranged.

3. I was especially interested in a home in Depoe Bay that was on the market for quite some time. I emailed the realtor offering to rent it for six months furnished and paying the entire amount in advance. I thought this would give me a good opportunity to come and go- probably by air from where I am located to PDX and then visit the other areas by rental car. Never heard from the realtor. Did I violate some protocol?

The home was for sale, not for rent. There would be no advantage to the either the realtor or the homeowner to allow you and your three cats to move in.

Any help with any of the above?

If you want to check out the community and the housing situation, you have a couple choices.

1) Rent a place for a few months that is centrally located and drive around and check it out. This may be difficult with three cats as many landlords don't allow cats period. But it doesn't hurt to try.

2) Buy a used motorhome. There always seems to be several Class B RVs for sale in our area for under $10K. Load up the cats and go look. There are tons of RV parks on the Oregon Coast. Everywhere, really. Or you can hang out in the Walmart parking lot. When you've found your dream home, sell the RV. If you negotiate well in the beginning and take decent care of it, you will likely be able to sell it for close to what you paid.

3) Farm out the cats to friends, drive up and rent VRBO, Airbnb, small hotels.. and stay in each area while you look around.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:15 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Another thing you might do is research 55+ communities and see if they have rentals available.

Retirement Communities in the Northwest

Old 01-31-2016, 11:52 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
........My interest is in 4 areas: Salem, OR, the OR coast from Depoe Bay to Manzanita,.......

1. Because I have 3 (indoor only) cats ..........What is the trick to finding these CRR's?

2. ..........Do I have to locate four specific properties and four specific agents; if so how are the agents compensated?

3. I was especially interested in a home in Depoe Bay .........
What you are running into about the Oregon coast is that every dreamer, all over the USA and maybe even further afield is writing to real estate agents on the coast of Oregon, wanting all sorts of information. 98% of them don't have any money, let alone any intention to move. Agents get burned out with fruitless efforts and stop trying to sell to people out of the area. You have to figure out how to look more sincere if you want help. But you aren't really sincere, you are shopping for four areas and not knowing where you want to buy.

Seriously, take a vacation and visit all of your target areas. Look at what it would be like to live there, don't look at houses for sale. Narrow it down to where you want to live and just focus on one area. You can visit agents in person and you might get better help that way. Until you know where you want to move, do research on the Oregon forum and the Washing ton forum about those locations. Do research online on Craigslist and on real estate agent's sites to see what is for sale.

1. Three indoor cats might be an issue in a condo or 55 development. I suggest that you contact the HOA directly. If it is single houses, there might not be a problem. If it is condos, a lot of times they have a two pet limit. The only HOA I looked at on the coast was at Willard and I would have bought there except they had a two pet limit and I've got three dogs. (Near Lincoln City). I don't think that there are very many 55 communities on the Oregon coast-- or anywhere else in Oregon, either.

2. Personally, I don't think it is honorable to have an agent show you properties or do work for you until you are certain of the area you want.

3. Too bad that you passed on the home in Depoe Bay. That is my favorite town on the Oregon Coast. Yachats is my second favorite, but that is south of your search area. I might be able to dig you out the name of a good agent in Depoe Bay if you decide on that area. He worked hard for me but couldn't find what I wanted. Not for alack of effort. he's not gping to help you if you are wishy washy about what state you want to live in.

Your chances that someone is going to rent you a home so that you can try it out are about zero. If a house is for sale, the owner wants to sell it, not turn it into a rental.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-31-2016 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-31-2016, 02:52 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,118 times
Hello and thank you for your responses.

Regarding the house that I was interested in renting- it is 205 SW Shining Mist 97341. There were multiple price changes, pending sales, and withdrawals from market. I thought it might be a way for the owners to have income for six months. I gave the realtor my real name in case he wanted to pull a credit report.

At no time did I mention my cats because they were not part of the equation. Wherever/whenever I do a look see trip they will remain at home with good neighbors as sitters. However, thanks to the comments of each of the posters I have a better understanding of why my offer was not attractive to the owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've relicated several times, and looked at different areas from a distance several times. My first question is how are you planning to pay for this new place? Are you working, retired or independently wealthy? If working, do you work from home]?
My timeline following finding a place is to move there and then put my house here on the market. I've been advised to put down 50% cash and finance the remainder. I retired early from my primary profession and now work remotely part-time in the same general area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What you are running into about the Oregon coast is that every dreamer...
Seriously, take a vacation and visit all of your target areas. Look at what it would be like to live there, don't look at houses for sale. Narrow it down to where you want to live and just focus on one area. You can visit agents in person and you might get better help that way. Until you know where you want to move, do research on the Oregon forum and the Washing ton forum about those locations.

1.. I don't think that there are very many 55 communities on the Oregon coast-- or anywhere else in Oregon, either.

2. Personally, I don't think it is honorable to have an agent show you properties or do work for you until you are certain of the area you want.

3. Too bad that you passed on the home in Depoe Bay. That is my favorite town on the Oregon Coast. Yachats is my second favorite, but that is south of your search area. I might be able to dig you out the name of a good agent in Depoe Bay if you decide on that area.
1. I've found only a few. Two in the Salem area and the remainder near Portland.

2. I'm looking into a suggestion by Got Here As Quick As I Could about hiring an agent on an hourly basis.

3. I have some concerns about the distance from medical care, shopping, car repair, etc. where the coast is concerned. Thank you for the offer- will let you know. It's been suggested to me that I buy either in WA or Salem and then lease a condo or cabin for a couple of weeks a couple of times a year in the Manzanita area.

In case anyone is familiar, the communities that interest me in WA are Providence Point in Issaquah and Panorama in Lacey.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:39 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
........3. I have some concerns about the distance from medical care, shopping, car repair, etc. where the coast is concerned. .......
There is shopping, car repair, etc on the coast of Oregon. Not in the tiny villages, but in the larger towns and no place is too far from one of the larger coast towns (large being relative. None of them are big cities)

Medical care, depending upon how far you like to drive, is quite good in Salem and the drive isn't too bad to get there from the coast. Maybe a little far if you need an emergency ambulance run, but to drive in, there are excellent doctors and the hospital is first class. That would put you about Lincoln City or one of the small towns nearby.

If it is important to be really close to a quality hospital, then you won't get that on the Oregon coast. You'll need a much larger town. Good hospitals are in Portland, Bend, Salem, probably Eugene, although I've never done medical business in Eugene.

Hospitals south of Eugene, I don't know about. Someone on C-D will know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate