Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

To answer your question, yes.

Plenty of "small children" passed through pre-1978 homes without eating [friable] paint chips that contained lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 01:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I only personally know one child with high levels of lead...

The family lived right next to the freeway... I mean toss a ball over the fence close.

This boy loved to pay in the dirt... he was always digging around the yard.

He also was very much on his own... breakfast was a soda and chips... dinner was a hot dog.

The best meal of the day was monday through friday's school lunch.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:45 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Considering we want to buy in New England, it is near impossible to find homes in our price range built after 1978. We get varying opinions from "as long as the kids' lead levels are checked annually you'll be fine" to "the homeowner did renovations so it's likely all the lead is gone now" to "don't ever move to a home that could have lead, it is deadly and will poison your kids"

I know that upon putting an offer on a home we have the option to have the home tested for lead but we were told if we do that, the following could happen: 1) if it tests positive, the seller doesn't have to agree to remediate and the deal falls through. 2) if we move forward with the sale then we HAVE to de-lead the property in order to legally be able to live there

Can anyone share their experience? If we opt to only look at homes built after 1978 we might as well stop our home search because they're so scarce....
I'd buy it if I wanted it.
Einstein grew up in a house with leaded paint. So did I. Maybe you did, too.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:33 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have small children and live in a house built in 1973. The entire house has been painted so very little risk as far as I am concerned.

I also happen to get a lead blood test every 6 months for work purposes. My lead levels have never been elevated so that confirms that no risk is present.
You are not a one year old. For a start you are a lot bigger, which dilutes any lead ingested. Also, you probably put your hands and other objects in your mouth a lot less often than they do.

And finally, and most importantly, your blood level can be four times the alert level for a child before it is called high. This is because your brain is pretty much done. Lead just doesn't affect adults like it does children.

Quote:
Small amounts of lead in adults are not thought to be harmful. However, even low levels of lead can be dangerous to infants and children. It can cause lead poisoning that leads to problems in mental development.

Adults:
Less than 20 micrograms/dL of lead in the blood

Children:
Less than 5 micrograms/dL of lead in the blood
Note: dL = deciliter

Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
You are not a one year old. For a start you are a lot bigger, which dilutes any lead ingested. Also, you probably put your hands and other objects in your mouth a lot less often than they do.

And finally, and most importantly, your blood level can be four times the alert level for a child before it is called high. This is because your brain is pretty much done. Lead just doesn't affect adults like it does children.
This is true.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I grew up in a house built in the 1930's. I never saw paint chips in the window sills and thought hey Pringles! I'll eat those. Not once. Miraculously, I didn't grow up with lead poisoning.....then again I didn't eat the paint!

I've lived in house built in the 1890's and never ate any paint in the place. I currently own a house built in 1942 that absolutely has lead paint under layers of paint. Again, I am not sitting here munching on the paint on the walls or wood trim.

I'm far more worried about the asbestos tape wrapped around my duct work in the basement!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 PM

I know a couple that were obsessed... they remove all the 1920's trim, doors, windows and cabinets as they tested positive.

They replaced it all with off the shelf Home Depot material and really lost the character of the home...

I did ask them how they got rid of everything and they said they hauled if off the landfill...

Then I said, "Didn't bother you to be disposing of hazardous material in a landfill?" they did not have an answer and had the deer in the headlight look.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I know a couple that were obsessed... they remove all the 1920's trim, doors, windows and cabinets as they tested positive.

They replaced it all with off the shelf Home Depot material and really lost the character of the home...

I did ask them how they got rid of everything and they said they hauled if off the landfill...

Then I said, "Didn't bother you to be disposing of hazardous material in a landfill?" they did not have an answer and had the deer in the headlight look.
And who knows what chemicals are now in those cheap pieces they bought off the shelf. Lead paint is an easy fix - strip it or paint over it! Problem solved.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:06 AM

Can anyone say Chinese Drywall?

Old 02-07-2016, 07:09 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Considering we want to buy in New England, it is near impossible to find homes in our price range built after 1978. We get varying opinions from "as long as the kids' lead levels are checked annually you'll be fine" to "the homeowner did renovations so it's likely all the lead is gone now" to "don't ever move to a home that could have lead, it is deadly and will poison your kids"

I know that upon putting an offer on a home we have the option to have the home tested for lead but we were told if we do that, the following could happen: 1) if it tests positive, the seller doesn't have to agree to remediate and the deal falls through. 2) if we move forward with the sale then we HAVE to de-lead the property in order to legally be able to live there

Can anyone share their experience? If we opt to only look at homes built after 1978 we might as well stop our home search because they're so scarce....
Based on my research in my home search, lead on walls isn't that bad. If the walls don't have 80 layers of chipping paint and the house has been well maintained, you can usu paint over it smoothly and be fine.

The bigger problem is lead on trims and windows as those parts are often in motion and paint can flake off when opening/shutting and you can release lead dust to be ingested. And I see plenty of old houses around me with flaky windows I personally would not live with. If the trim looks suspect and I loved the house, I would pay someone reputable to replace all the trims and window sashes/sills, etc. More energy efficient as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate