Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,696,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
Most people don't get a survey done. The $2000-ish dollars it costs to get it done is considered too expensive when you're looking to spend $250,000 on land. Usually the question is "why does it cost more than the home inspection?".
In my area, having a survey done is a requirement for closing. Any time one buys land getting a survey is a good idea. That's how much is may cost where you are, but it's not the same everywhere. Ours was only a few hundred dollars. And depending on location $250K for land could be a lot the size of a postage stamp or it could be a thousand acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

You need a survey when there are boundary disputes--not when a pile of firewood is sitting in your driveway.
Nope. When we purchased our house, a current survey was required for the closing by the county. There were absolutely no boundary disputes. No firewood either.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:06 AM

8,582 posts, read 12,496,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Nope. When we purchased our house, a current survey was required for the closing by the county. There were absolutely no boundary disputes. No firewood either.
The point was, if there is firewood sitting in the driveway, with nary a hint that the driveway is not on the OP's property, then a survey isn't going to help the situation.

IF the County requires a current survey for the sale of residential property in your area, that is highly unusual. I have bought numerous residential properties without obtaining a current survey. Even when purchasing acreage, a current survey isn't a requirement--but it is oftentimes a good idea.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:06 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,849,535 times
Interesting... sounds like full employment for surveyors.

Bought and sold many pieces of property without survey...

Never used used a lawyer either... custom here is Title Insurance through Escrow.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:11 AM

19,466 posts, read 27,995,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
For christ's sake, jut go over and talk to the guy.
Yeah, I know, right?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:12 AM

8,582 posts, read 12,496,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Nope. When we purchased our house, a current survey was required for the closing by the county.
It would be interesting if you could provide a citation. I remain skeptical.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,849,535 times
I've heard of lenders requirement a survey... and of course it can also be required for alterations...

I could be wrong... but is seems if someone has the means to write a check I can't imagine a governmental agency requiring a survey...

Old 02-18-2016, 11:58 AM

8,099 posts, read 10,139,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've heard of lenders requirement a survey... and of course it can also be required for alterations...

I could be wrong... but is seems if someone has the means to write a check I can't imagine a governmental agency requiring a survey...

Without a survey, paid for by you, the buyer, how do you know what you are buying?

Because the seller said "that was the property line/included"?

Uhmmm.....maybe no.

Survey has nothing to do with the firewood pile, but as a matter of good business, get a survey done before you close on a property.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The point was, if there is firewood sitting in the driveway, with nary a hint that the driveway is not on the OP's property, then a survey isn't going to help the situation.

IF the County requires a current survey for the sale of residential property in your area, that is highly unusual. I have bought numerous residential properties without obtaining a current survey. Even when purchasing acreage, a current survey isn't a requirement--but it is oftentimes a good idea.
The OP didn't only say there was firewood in the driveway. The OP also stated that trees were cut down. A survey would show who's trees they are.

I live in a county that is primarily rural. Until they passed the law requiring surveys when land switched hands, there were a number of issues. Many of our property borders were rocks and trees. The rock piles that are supposed to be my property borders are not on the border. Several are actually on my neighbors property and some are several feet inside my property lines. Who even knows what happened to the trees that marked my wooded area....as if one could tell which pine tree someone was talking about!

Old 02-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
It would be interesting if you could provide a citation. I remain skeptical.
Except our town code is not online. Don't think much of the county is either. You can remain skeptical and I'll look at the roll of papers we received at closing. Would you like a photo of the stake? The survey requirement was part of the contract as well. It wasn't an added addendum. I've owned another home in a different part of this state and the survey was not a requirement.

You realize we're not all in Michigan, right? Your milage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate