Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 01:16 AM

207 posts, read 226,627 times

Advertisements

I been awfully busy this month and the thought never occur to me... That by not paying my property taxes, already payed for, on time (March 1st) it will get reported to a credit breau. Still not sure if this will happen, but its an idea that it could. I just figure just a 5% tax fee. But it shouldnt be treated any special than any other fee?

The fear now has been keeping me up all night. Tomorrow morning I am going to call the county and see what they do. I hope theres some time frame before that happens cause I wont be able to pay fully until mid April.

Not worry but extra fees just the credit report... But I figure it takes a while for local cities to actually send the info up to the county.

Has anyone ever came across this issue or situation and it did get reported on credit report. It was a stupid negligence on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 05:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
It can depend on where you are, but in our case there is interest and a hefty penalty, and they can foreclose if it goes too long, but the county does not report to credit agencies because it's not credit. Interest is 1%, and the penalty is 3%, then up to to 8% if still not paid.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,925,195 times
Two months late - highly unlikely you have to worry about a lien popping up on your property or credit report that close to due date.

It costs money to file a lien. If it's a small town or city, chances are a call gets notated so they don't waste money by selling your debt to a collection agency. On the other hand, even if you are in a big city, the most that would be happening to you would be the snickers from the tax office peanut gallery that someone called about being late.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:42 AM

207 posts, read 226,627 times
Just called them and was relieve of my problem... Doesnt get sent to credit breau at all. Stays within the county unless I had a mortgage (which I dont).

I thought I lost my job in a few years (they require immaculate credit history) when I go up for contract renewal.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:55 AM

460 posts, read 779,211 times
Many municipalities have generous grace periods with no penalty. My property taxes are technically due on September 30th of each year, but the county website clearly states that only after January 5th of the following year do any interest or penalties begin to accrue. I just pay it by the end of the December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate