Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:11 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
It hit the market yesterday afternoon, I went and saw it last night. We gave them a full price offer, did not ask for any concessions, allowing them to close when they want.
There are no set rules, of course, but I think that when you immediately make a full price offer the Seller automatically begins to wonder whether they priced the house too low. For that reason, and others, I usually encourage people to offer less than asking price. Everything depends on the market, though--whether it's a Buyer's or a Seller's market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:37 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
There are no set rules, of course, but I think that when you immediately make a full price offer the Seller automatically begins to wonder whether they priced the house too low. For that reason, and others, I usually encourage people to offer less than asking price. Everything depends on the market, though--whether it's a Buyer's or a Seller's market.
We did not want to play any games so we offered full price. It was a house we knew we wanted and did not want to go back and forth with negotiating. I guess that bit us in the butt!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I listed a house at a fair market value but, being in a hot market, instructed the realtor not to accept offers for a week. I felt this was the best way to acquire and evaluate offers and also communicate our strategy to buyers. When the week was over we accepted a contract. I think your sellers' realtor should have been more sophisticated in marketing the house. They set you up for frustration.

If I would have known up front that they were going to do something like this, it would have been easier to tolerate. They would have let me know upfront what the deal was. This, I believe, is them trying to get into bidding war after the fact.

Their realtor said to my agent this afternoon that the sellers had no intention of entertaining our offer until at least tonight.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
List price is not always expected full price and is often just a starting point unfortunately and is priced lower to get people interested. I understand your side and their side.

Let us know what happens!

Old 03-08-2016, 12:57 PM

40 posts, read 38,050 times
In my current house search, I had one Realtor suggest that when I make an offer, give it a time to accept - example.. my offer is x - in 3 days my offer becomes x-5k.. etc. It could be a week.. just gets sellers (and the blasted banks) off their butts to make a decision.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Maybe they prefer to sell to a person that wants to live there, rather than someone who wants to make it a rental,

Old 03-08-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Maybe they prefer to sell to a person that wants to live there, rather than someone who wants to make it a rental,
They have no idea who I am or what my plan is for the home.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:31 PM

486 posts, read 832,491 times
This is standard in a seller's market. If you want a house you have to overbid.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:41 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
I know - and I probably never would. But seriously, I think it is really rude to list a house and have someone offer you exactly what you want and then tell them your not going to sign.
It may not be listed for exactly what they want.
List price is not "The Price," but merely a solicitation for an offer.

And, in a sellers' market, there is a fair amount of leverage that a seller has coming right out of a chute.
You might have put a time limit on the offer, but most sellers are just ignoring that approach because there isn't enough inventory to make that limit meaningfull.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:57 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
This is standard in a seller's market. If you want a house you have to overbid.
I agree. I don't consider it rude. I often see houses that sell above the original asking price. When we bought our house 7 years ago we started at $10k over list price on the day it was listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate