Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:39 AM

424 posts, read 668,801 times

Advertisements

So I'm preparing my house for pictures and eventually showings.

What is the general consensus on having a handful of family pictures on the wall? I don't have a ton, maybe 7-10 between 2 walls. It's just annoying to me to have to take down my pictures. I mean, I still live here.

Also having Glade Plugins to freshen up the smell. Obviously they wouldn't be visible and I'm not trying to mask a bad smell. Just trying to make the house smell nice and inviting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 AM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Ok to family photos. NO scents. None, please.

A lot of people have trouble with them, especially pregnant women. I had a pregnant client walk in and out of a house over a vanilla scented plugin as she was about to vomit. Seriously. Don't do it.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Some people are scent sensitive. If you must, keep the scent the same in all the rooms.

As far as pictures, you are moving anyways, right? Pack up all the stuff you don't need until after the move.

For photos, make sure every light is on, the toilet lids are down nothing on the counters and put away the shampoo bottles.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:46 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
I'm in the side if taking the photos down.

Main reason is this: Why divert a potential buyer who may (probably will) be curious about the owner? I want them looking at my HOUSE, not my family. Those photos are a distraction - periid. Nothing more (to the potential buyer).

I've NEVER heard anyone give me a benefit to leaving those photos up (beyond seller convenience), but there are plenty of reasons to take them down.

I'm not a fan of scents either. I always wonder what they are covering up.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:55 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
No scents, no family photos.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
I would take the pictures down when the Realtor takes the property photos. I don't want my family photos online on realtor sites. I would then put them back up and keep them up for showings. Unless you have a ridiculous amount of cluttered photos or it looks like you are hiding something I would not take them down for showings. I think plug ins are fine, if you want the home to smell nice buy a frozen apple or cherry pie and bake it before an open house. I have no problems with scented candles or air sprays that smell like clean linen or rain fresh fabreeze smell, especially if you have pets. You are used to the smells in your home so may not even notice them or that the place needs to be freshened up.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:03 AM

14,495 posts, read 12,134,812 times
I know the HGTV staging shows say otherwise, but I think people are perfectly able to decide if they like your home even with your family pictures in it. If they are well framed and nicely displayed, and make the room look more decorated and homey, I'd leave them.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:06 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
When there are air fresheners, I assume that the house stinks and I drop my offer to cover the cost of odor removal.

I got a very nice bargain on one place that was so heavily perfumed that I could barely breathe. I assumed I would be tearing out and replacing carpet, painting, and paying for duct cleaning, and I dropped my offer to cover all those costs.

It turns out that the dog had never peed in the house, nobody was a smoker, the seller just thought that the air freshener smelled nice. So I got a good price with no bother except for an asthma attack the first 6-7 times I walked into the house.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:14 AM

424 posts, read 668,801 times
Oh wow. Lots of opinions on this. Thanks!

I didn't think about allergies or aversions to scents. I was one of those during my first pregnancy. Totally forgot. So I'll definitely skip this. But out of curiosity, if the homeowner happened to make a delicious fish dish for lunch... and had a last minute showing later, what to do? Hope the smell dissipates?

And regarding family photos, would you prefer to see a blank wall with little nail holes? Or empty frames?

Old 03-13-2016, 11:19 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
So I'm preparing my house for pictures and eventually showings.

What is the general consensus on having a handful of family pictures on the wall? I don't have a ton, maybe 7-10 between 2 walls. It's just annoying to me to have to take down my pictures. I mean, I still live here.

Also having Glade Plugins to freshen up the smell. Obviously they wouldn't be visible and I'm not trying to mask a bad smell. Just trying to make the house smell nice and inviting.
Leave the photos up but when I was looking at homes all I wanted to smell was nothing with the exception of clorox or pine sol. No fruity flowering citrusy I am probably allergic to fragrance, no plug ins, sprays or candles.

As far as fish being delicious I will disagree with you about that, I will also suggest you not cook anything with a strong lasting odor for a while and if you do get a can of odor neutralizing spray and use it lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate