Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:14 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,542,643 times

Advertisements

If you're asking if you can, then probably no, crown mold involves compound angles and precise cuts. Done right it looks good, done poorly and it looks like hell. As far as hiring someone to do it vs. DIY, look at it this way;

How much is a piece of mold if you make a mistake(s)?
Do you have the right tools?
How many pieces are you going to waste practicing?
How much will you spend to try DIY, and then pay again to have someone do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:34 AM

15,861 posts, read 20,734,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE
The only way to get good cuts is with a cut off saw set up for this project. You can probably rent one of them. The problem is that you will have this very large learning curve. You will spend money on product, that will not fit, match up, or work out.

It really is. It's really an art and what you are paying for when you hire out for this sort of job is someone's skill and experience.

My cost of materials for one room was $175 in crown molding, maybe $20 worth of paint/primer and spackle and caulk (already had it for a larger overall project) and maybe $5 in finish nails. So $200 in materials, and 3 hrs of my time vs $1500 for a pro to do that room seems like an enticing thing that most people would want to try themselves.

The problem is it's a huge learning curve. I only did it because I have had experience in it, and my job came out ok. A true career crown installer could pick out my mistakes, but the average person would never really know. But it would be VERY easy to hack it up and install it and have it almost be not worth it at all.

And I'd probably expect a pro to charge out $1000-1500 per room to do this.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:13 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,046,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
We found a house we love. It is in good shape but some updates my wife was thinking about include adding crown molding and wainscoting. The problem is I have no tools aside from what you'd find in a regular tools box.
Here you go, get yourself one of these!

Shop Stanley Clamping Miter Box with Saw at Lowes.com

I have that exact same $12 saw, and within the past year have used it to install crown in two rooms. There are youtube videos that show how to make the cuts - it's really not rocket surgery, or brain science. I'd suggest buying a little extra, or getting a few pieces of scrap to practice with.

But don't listen to the "It's so hard!" crowd... I had heard that too and was intimidated by it - until I got a quote from an actual Trim Carpenter to do it lol. I'll use the $12 saw and figure it out, but thanks anyway.

Also, look into these corner blocks...

With those you only have to make straight 90 degree cuts! I am actually a big fan of them too because they add a nice little decorative touch to the crown. I used them in my bedroom with that same royal blue and glossy white color combo and it came out really nice.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,229,164 times
Those things have to be measured very accurately and are typically done on site. "Blocked" corners would be the only possible way you could order specific cuts at HD. Painted only. You'll be using caulk to eliminate gaps. Get a Bear saw. Easy to use. Especially if you can make a miter box (not difficult to do). For angled cuts, no corner blocks, sounds like you'll have to hire it out.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,303,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
In my case, I will use the crown molding to hide a LED strip. The molding will be in my home theater and I will mount it a few inches from the ceiling so the LED will cast a light around the room. The LED can also change colors. Pretty cool.
OK, you have a practical reason for installing crown molding.

I still can't understand what's so wrong about a plain right angle.

And I'd still like to know what a crown molding emergency is.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:06 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,303,635 times
Repeating, please document this experiment. It could prove instructive for all those to follow.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,046,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Those things have to be measured very accurately and are typically done on site.
What things, the corner blocks??

No, you can buy them at Home Depot for $4 per block. Use Liquid Nails to glue them into the corners and then measure between two for the length of each length of crown.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,330,228 times
I installed baseboards and let me tell you those miter boxes suck. If you want to do this rent a quality miter saw(power tool). But since you say you don't consider yourself handy just hire a pro. The worst thing is spending countless hours on a project and having it not look good and crown molding isn't easy.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,359,396 times
Harborfreight has a compound miter saw for sale at a reasonable price for a DYI homeowner personal projects like the one your talking about for only $89.99 with coupon number 98508720

10 in. Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser Guide System

Old 03-25-2016, 08:14 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
What things, the corner blocks??

No, you can buy them at Home Depot for $4 per block. Use Liquid Nails to glue them into the corners and then measure between two for the length of each length of crown.

Yes. That's what I meant. Corner to corner crown moulding requires fancy equipment and is difficult to do. The blocks only require 90 degree cuts. Wainscoting requires 45 degree cuts without blocks (doable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate