Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:28 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Don't rule out Ohio! If you visit here, I'd be happy to take you around!

Ohio is a little more attractive that the less expensive parts of Indiana. We have a beautiful Lake Shore and amazing state parks.

PS - John Mellancamp fan here too. The Midwest is underrated and it's a great place to raise your kids!
No, I would not rule out Ohio. It's just really hard since I don't know the areas. The South is much easier for me since they are states that I am familiar with, have spent time in and know the good areas from the bad.

But it just requires more research, that's all.

I am kid-less, so don't care about that. I love state parks and spend lots of time in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 06:07 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Middle TN is a good area. We are in Van Buren County, but it's harder to find homes here, at least in my community. I like Spencer as a little town, but I wouldn't want to live there. Same with Sparta. Just a preference thing. But here are some listings in the middle TN area.

Pros: VERY low taxes and vehicle registration, low population density so you don't have to worry about horrible traffic, crime is pretty low with the exception of some communities here and there, state parks around here are absolutely breathtaking! Mountains, beaches, rivers, waterfalls. It's really a great place to live.

58 Cowart Ln, Crossville, TN 38572 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

206 Osborn St, McMinnville, TN 37110 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

729 W Main St, Smithville, TN 37166 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

201 W Cox Ave, Gainesboro, TN 38562 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

3597 Mooneyham Lonewood Rd, Spencer, TN 38585 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

148 Anderson St, Sparta, TN 38583 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 04-03-2016, 07:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Northern New England. Harsh winters but generally a very quiet place to live.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 PM

The idea of living in a small town is very appealing to me except for the fact that I have to work. I don't have a fancy job, I am just a bookkeeper, but I can't retire for a few more years.

Since I am not willing to commute more than about 45 minutes each way, that rules out a lot of smaller areas.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 PM

It's scary, too, moving to a new state all alone at my age - but you do what you have to do, right?

Old 04-04-2016, 02:02 AM

36 posts, read 48,854 times
Hey there, good to know all of the living place requirements of yours. Good luck and hopefully you'll find your perfect living place soon!

Old 04-04-2016, 05:42 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
The idea of living in a small town is very appealing to me except for the fact that I have to work. I don't have a fancy job, I am just a bookkeeper, but I can't retire for a few more years.

Since I am not willing to commute more than about 45 minutes each way, that rules out a lot of smaller areas.
That's what's nice about NE Ohio; there are lots of small towns/villages that aren't far away from larger cities.

I just checked via Google maps, and my earlier example of Navarre is only a 9 minute drive to Massillon, a city of about 30k, a 15 minute drive to Canton, a city of about 70k, a 20 minute drive to the Belden Village area, which is a large shopping and employment center, and a 40 minute drive to Akron, a city of about 119k people.

Because you're not seeking a specialty job, it would probably be easier for you to find work, too.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durise View Post
Hey there, good to know all of the living place requirements of yours. Good luck and hopefully you'll find your perfect living place soon!
Not to confuse my requirements with my preferences. For example, I prefer cooler weather, but it's not one of my requirements.

Low crime, a house for under 100K and a hospital within 10 miles are pretty much my "requirements".

Fortunately, I don't care about cultural amenities. They would be nice - a state park for example - but they don't figure into my equation.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:29 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times
Poconos, PA. Close to lots of ski towns.. Kinda hillbilly but homes are almost always under $100k.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:41 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Maybe we get too much snow for you, but try looking outside of the larger cities in NE Ohio. (Akron, Canton, Cleveland, Warren, Youngstown, etc. have nice neighborhoods, too, but if you're unfamiliar with the region, it's easier to skip them to start)

My grandma's house in Navarre, Ohio recently sold for about $50k. It was a great little one bedroom house, built in the late 40s/early 50s. Here are a couple more from that little town:
6193 Massillon Rd Sw, Navarre, OH 44662 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
4889 Leona Ave Sw, Navarre, OH 44662 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Navarre is a small town, but isn't far from just about everything you're looking for. But, Navarre is only an example; there are lots of little towns and suburbs in this area that have as much to offer.
Wow! As a Southern California guy, those home prices are amazing. I am single, no kids (age 41), and am seriously thinking of moving out of state for a new start. I don't desire anything fancy or trendy, and I could care less about living in a big, cosmopolitan city, so living in a rural area interests me greatly. I will have to pay closer attention to Ohio. Work would probably be an issue, but I think I can manage to earn enough to live comfortably in an area like that. I am tired of the Southern California rat race!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate