Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:23 AM

661 posts, read 1,249,384 times

Advertisements

just like ebay listings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 07:41 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,042,068 times
My favorites are

The mobile home listed as a regular home.

The listing an above ground pool as a "swimming pool"

Taking a rural home thats not selling (typical around here) and purposefully putting it in the wrong zip to get more views

Several high quality photos of a remodeled room and crappy (or no photos) and no mention of obvious major issues/rooms.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Some of you sound as though you'd list defects in the listing. The point is to get people to the house to see it in person. Of course they aren't going to mention buzzing power lines or issues with the house itself.

They shouldn't outright lie, of course.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:28 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,155,977 times
My husband owned a 500 sft. 1 bedroom home when I met him. He had re-done the entire inside of the home and completely reconfigured it but obviously still a challenge to sell. It was originally a two bedroom home but the bedrooms were so small, a twin bed was the only thing that would fit in the rooms. It was very old home built around 1910. The bathroom also was so tiny that you had to sit sideways on the toilet due to the vanity being inches from the toilet. He enlarged the bathroom and created a decent sized one bedroom. Tore out the kitchen, reconfigured it and created a small laundry room where previously there was no laundry. The house also had a sunporch on the front that was original to the house. It wasn't heated (and damn cold in the winter) but very cute during the summer months. Basically it was like having a small apartment with a good sized backyard.

When we listed it, the realtor listed it as a one bedroom home with an extra room. A couple of times I was there during showings and was a bit embarrassed when buyers looked for the "extra room. They didn't realize they walked through it on the way into the house. The "extra room" was a porch. Surprisingly we sold the place in 2 weeks. The housing market was insanely overpriced at the time and for someone that didn't have much money, it offered the dream of homeownership in a decent neighborhood. A young woman bought it and she was really excited.For her it was a steal. Everything was brand new and her mortgage was about 200 bucks a month. Yeah, I felt the ad was misleading but I also think the mention of the extra room is what got the buyers to look at the place.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:02 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,365,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
You could have saved yourself the trip if you looked it up on bing maps, or google maps, or street view, before getting so involved. Only takes 1 second to look it up. Only blame yourself for not researching it first.
There is practically a mansion that is almost complete being built two blocks down from me.

If you look on Google Maps, you see the previous not-as-large house that looks completely different, that was torn down probably three years ago at this point.

I am usually looking at coops where I live and what bothers me is when they call it a two bedroom when it's really a junior four. And that happens a lot.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:09 PM

500 posts, read 584,533 times
Our house is currently on the market and the realtor, a good friend, had me go over the entire listing they wrote up to make sure it sounded accurate.

I look nightly on realtor dot com (the most accurate MLS site in our area) to see what is on the market, pending, or sold within about 7 miles of our house and where we are buying. There is one house in a much lower price point neighborhood, but newer. We now call it "The Jesus House". When looking at the pictures i was already disgusted over the picture that had to be taken standing on the bathroom sink that showed a tub and toilet with the lid and seat UP! Another picture from the top of the stairs that literally showed the steps, okay. Another that showed a tub with a shower next to it but focused on the SIX boxes of kleenex stacked on the ledge of the shower by the tub. ???? Then looking from the front all the way to the back, hmmmm, there are 2 people standing back there in the picture. Geez people, MOVE! Next picture........... HOLY HECK! It is a life size statue of Jesus and Mary with the biggest crucifix hanging inside of a residential home that I've ever seen. To top it off, the listing realtor had TEN pictures of the Jesus room on the listing. WTH There are crucifix all over the house and that room, the two large statues, huge flower arrangements all over the place, the fireplace mantle is jammed with alter candles, tv INSIDE the fireplace, pictures of Jesus in every room, clocks in every room in odd places. It is just weird! OH! And two pictures of the garage that showcase the stacks of boxes LOL!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 PM

497 posts, read 428,854 times
It sounds like those photos may actually be an accurate representation of the jesus house! Isn't that what is being asked for in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
Our house is currently on the market and the realtor, a good friend, had me go over the entire listing they wrote up to make sure it sounded accurate.

I look nightly on realtor dot com (the most accurate MLS site in our area) to see what is on the market, pending, or sold within about 7 miles of our house and where we are buying. There is one house in a much lower price point neighborhood, but newer. We now call it "The Jesus House". When looking at the pictures i was already disgusted over the picture that had to be taken standing on the bathroom sink that showed a tub and toilet with the lid and seat UP! Another picture from the top of the stairs that literally showed the steps, okay. Another that showed a tub with a shower next to it but focused on the SIX boxes of kleenex stacked on the ledge of the shower by the tub. ???? Then looking from the front all the way to the back, hmmmm, there are 2 people standing back there in the picture. Geez people, MOVE! Next picture........... HOLY HECK! It is a life size statue of Jesus and Mary with the biggest crucifix hanging inside of a residential home that I've ever seen. To top it off, the listing realtor had TEN pictures of the Jesus room on the listing. WTH There are crucifix all over the house and that room, the two large statues, huge flower arrangements all over the place, the fireplace mantle is jammed with alter candles, tv INSIDE the fireplace, pictures of Jesus in every room, clocks in every room in odd places. It is just weird! OH! And two pictures of the garage that showcase the stacks of boxes LOL!

Old 08-01-2016, 09:29 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,838,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets look at some facts, about the real estate business.

1: Average age and sex or agents today. A 50 plus year old housewife.

2: Eighty percent of the people that enter the real estate business, will fail out of the business, and not make enough sales to stay in the business and pay the expenses involved. They will take the pictures instead of hiring a photographer, because they simply cannot afford to do otherwise. In fact it is said, that 75% of new Realtors will fail in the first year.

3: Eighty percent of the homes sold, are sold by 20% of the agents.

4: Divide the number of homes sold in a year in this country by the number of agents, and you will find the average agent sells 3 homes in a year. As 80% of the sales are made by top 20% of agents, it shows that a large percentage of the agents are not going to sell even one home in the year.

What this leads to, is that most agents do not know how to market a property and do not know how to write up a multiple listing to sell a property, and they do not know how to properly close a sale. This is why people are commenting in this thread.

The below link is really an eye opener to many people. Look down the article an area that shows the cost to an agent to market the property. It is an eye opener for most people. The majority of the agents cannot afford to actually market the property properly.

https://blueroof.wordpress.com/2007/...realtors-fail/
Interesting statistics.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:59 PM

2,498 posts, read 1,876,341 times
I looked at one last year that turned out to have a power station abutting the property. Interesting thing: it was photo-shopped out of the pictures on the website. Like nobody would notice it when they got there, hmmmm?

Old 08-02-2016, 12:27 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Since when isn't an above ground pool a swimming pool? Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Interesting statistics.
Which have nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate