Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,264,759 times

Advertisements

Back alleys all over Baltimore. All of them paved in concrete; none of them safe after 1970 or so. Hence I left in 1972.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:35 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,248,269 times
We live in the only subdivision in Houston that has city alleys (as versus, for example, townhome projects with a back alley to the garages). Full size streets, with alleys running behind them.

Absolutely love it. You drive in & out thru the alley, park from the alley, put your trash in the alley, all utilities are in alleys. The front of the street is for houses. Sure, there are a few cars parked on the streets. But not many, and hardly any street traffic compared to if we had driveways facing the street.

Our alleys are asphalted. They're 11-14' wide, so not really roomy, but big enough for cars (and garbage trucks!). Most people fence the back of their houses facing the alley, plus driveways & garages, so they're fairly secure. Hardly any crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Could you post some neighborhoods in Texas that have this feature? Zip codes? I can "Google-walk" it, perhaps.
77005. Check out the intersection of Sunset & Hazard in that zip for typical alleys.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,913,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Could you post some neighborhoods in Texas that have this feature? Zip codes? I can "Google-walk" it, perhaps.
Texas Ave and Cincinnati Ave in San Antonio (78201) have alleys. My husband's grandma lived there and his uncle had the house behind hers across the alley, so all summer during the daytime he and his cousins ran back and forth across the alley. He said at night the cops would sometimes be driving the alleys with searchlights on, chasing someone. The alleys were something he and his cousins were afraid of at night.

If you want an upscale neighborhood with alleys, some of the houses off Perennial in 78232 have alleys. Those alleys are well maintained because the driveways and garages are back there.

Also, Eastley Dr. in 78217 has alleys. They used to be pretty overgrown when my friend lived there, but the garbage truck still picked up through the alley, so it had to be clear enough for the garbage truck to get through.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,444,122 times
My retirement town is criss-crossed with alleys from the old West days, because, I believe, there were not good-sized houses but lots of shacks and cabins and it wasn't worth it to have a full road to front to those houses. People now use them to walk through town (there are no sidewalks except on the main street). Someone has put up artwork and poems along the alleys which is kind of charming. The building code for the "historic residential" area doesn't allow snout garages in front so maybe some bigger alleys are used for car access, but most are more like footpaths.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:16 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,632,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
An alley gives criminals a second option when casing your home and when removing your belongings. I've never had a house with one and I don't feel like I missed out on anything special.
I think you are right. My first house had one and I did once chase an intruder off the back screened in porch. It is an unobstructed view.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:34 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,594,747 times
I grew up with an alley behind our houses. Someone broke into our neighbors house at Christmas time, took a sheet off a bed, and filled it up with all their Christmas presents from under the tree. But part way down the alley they threw the whole thing down, so the family got their presents back. It was basically a nice area though, and it was nice having your backyard more private by not backing up to other houses. Also the trash was always out of sight. The rode was paved.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:57 PM

525 posts, read 662,071 times
San Antonio, 78209, Terrell Hills has alleyways.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:01 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
Check the plot plan. Alleys are generally public right of way and owned by the city. Anyone can use it, though there is probably a city ordinance about blocking it for over 20 minutes or so.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:39 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,939,162 times
I grew up in a home with an alley in the back. Ironically many of the homes had garages in the front, though some had boats in the backyard. It was a good playground for us kids.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:12 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,115,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
A neighborhood that I'm interested in has many homes with dirt alleys in the back. It's an older part of town with small bungalow homes, and I could describe it as bohemian rustic. The state is way out there in the old west.

Having an alley out back is interesting and exotic to me as a girl from the NY 'burbs. I'm used to paved roads, lawns and sidewalks in front of the tract housing.

What's it like living in home with an alley in the back? What purpose does the alley serve, and do these properties belong to everyone, or no one? I see no garbage or cars in the alley using Google Maps. Can I walk in it, or should I fear it?

I will probably have to build a garage and the car would back out into the alley.
Check the ownership of the alley before making any plans. In our town there are several unpaved alleys. Some of them do not show up on any land records. They exist by common consent. That works fine until one of the property owners near the entrance decides to build a fence (or more substantial structure) across the alley.

The ones in our town are generally used for occasional/seasonal access to the back of the property. Bringing in loads of firewood, removing items stored in the back for the winter, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate