Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 03:52 PM

182 posts, read 239,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
No, I don't. Is your husband ugly or not? How are your kids turning out?
Course he's not ugly....and my kids are super cute and well behaved. I would only marry the best seeing as I'm the classic trophy wife!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 06:41 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
Course he's not ugly....and my kids are super cute and well behaved. I would only marry the best seeing as I'm the classic trophy wife!!!
I dare you prove it with pictures.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
Northern Illinois. 60081. I think the whole state is toast considering our financial problems the state is in.
$10,000 taxes? How did I guess Illinois? Sheesh. I had a friend in Urbana with a house worth about 100k, 25 years ago, and his taxes were 6K at the time. Yikes!

Old 06-12-2016, 10:06 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I dare you prove it with pictures.
She sent them to me, as I have a reputation for trustworthiness. Her comments are correct. Totally hot.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:13 PM

468 posts, read 475,662 times
Quote:
I actually grew up in The Colony and learned to drive stick on the dirt roads of Frisco. Never in a million years would I have imagined that area to be booming like it is. I mean hellloooo Cowboys moved their headquarters there? On what planet is Frisco the happening place? My mom left there two years ago and recently went to visit she was blown away at how much had changed in just two years.

That's the kind of feast or famine that fascinates me. Like why did growth explode in that area and why do some cities wither on the vine?
Its called momentum and Connecticut is the worst. All the young people and many productive aged folks are moving away also. What kind of ceo would take the risk of relocating offices to a place like that. So, the demographics means that property values SHOULD only decline as all the boomers start selling and the millenial population rejects the rural suburban towns that CT is know for. Really sad because they are the perfect setting for raising young families.

Plano/Frisco is the opposite as tons of jobs move in and hundreds of $Billions of development create trendy mixed use environments that even some young professionals are willing to buy into.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:08 AM

769 posts, read 1,014,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Those taxes for that price point are insane.
Not really.

I own a second home in 18301, that is valued at 85k, and I pay $8800 a year in taxes. $1600 in actual property tax, and $6200 in school taxes.

The northeast is by far the worst when it comes to property taxes, and they just keep going up every year, while the property values keep dropping.

I' m kind of upset that I didn't get get a mortgage in the first place instead of paying cash. Then I could just stop paying the mortgage and let the bank foreclose on the property like the 9 other vacant houses in my neighborhood did that were foreclosed upon.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:19 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Thank you....we kept telling our agent to lower but she felt like the price points were good based on that moment in time ...she didn't count on the market being flooded by other panicked sellers and that it changed that fast. We will lower the price and try to get the hell out of dodge.
Great plan.

Renting out your home will only postpone the inevitable as it is unlikely this area is going to rebound in the foreseeable future. Plus, renting is a huge pain the neck and could result in damage to your home. It happens.

You may want to find another agent with a better approach to marketing than your current agent's wait and see approach.

Good luck.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:04 AM

486 posts, read 992,342 times
Quote:
Isn't it terrible ?? Like this state has the craziest taxes and they wonder why people are leaving. A person leaves this state every five minutes according to recent stats. I pay a month in taxes what my brother pays for a two bedroom house on lake Travis near Austin....like how is that sustainable for Illinois? Going to be another Detroit.
Actually, your property taxes are on par with the rust belt. I live in upstate NY (the rustiest of the rust belt) and I pay $3,900 a year property taxes (school and county) on a house assessed at $105,000. A house around here assessed at $400,000 would garner between $12,000-$15,000 a year in property taxes.

Welcome to the rust belt, no jobs, high taxes and crappy weather. Awesome!

You are lucky you are leaving.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:16 AM

486 posts, read 992,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Not really.

I own a second home in 18301, that is valued at 85k, and I pay $8800 a year in taxes. $1600 in actual property tax, and $6200 in school taxes.

The northeast is by far the worst when it comes to property taxes, and they just keep going up every year, while the property values keep dropping.

I' m kind of upset that I didn't get get a mortgage in the first place instead of paying cash. Then I could just stop paying the mortgage and let the bank foreclose on the property like the 9 other vacant houses in my neighborhood did that were foreclosed upon.
I hear you. The northeast is a terrible place to live, bad weather, no and/or low paying jobs, incredibly high taxes. Average property taxes in upstate NY are 3.5-4% of the home's assessed value. The tax rate NEVER goes down. NEVER. In the 7 years I have lived in my $105,000 assessed home I have paid nearly $27,000 in property taxes alone. Imagine what you could do with just half of $27,000 if you had "normal" property taxes like many areas of this country.

The school taxes are insane. Regardless of what people may say, northeast public schools are NOT the best schools in the nation just because they spend the most per student. Bloated government waste.

Welcome to the rust belt!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:43 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
So far they are letting him work from remote up here but it's probably not going to be tolerated for too long. At some point they will push hard to have us in that Florida location. I just don't know what that point is. They didn't offer to buy us out or pay realtor cost etc.

Is renegotiating a relo package common ? I didn't know you could do that really. I guess when we get to that point of make or break it could be brought up.
Negotiating/renegotiating a relocation package isn't totally uncommon when it comes to upper management kind of jobs. It is probably less common lower down on the corporate ladder.

One thing you haven't mentioned is your overall finances in terms of getting rid of your existing house and getting a new one in Florida. Florida is a big state with a lot of different real estate markets. At different price points. Where would you be relocating in Florida? And how much do you need to get out of the Illinois house to "make things work" in Florida? Perhaps this particular relocation doesn't make any sense. In which case the next question is how wedded your husband is to this job/company? And what his other options might be.

Just FWIW - Florida is overall a boom/bust type of state when it comes to real estate. And - IMO - we are closer to the top of the current cycle now than the bottom. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate