Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,915 times

Advertisements

We are moving next year & need to close by the end of 2/09. My concern is with my current home & when to put it on the market. Originally, we had planned to put it on the market next November but we have some concerns with that timeframe. First of all...the election..I have no idea how that will effect the makert. Then in talking with several local realtors they feel November is a lousy time to put a house on the market because of the holidays, middle of school year, etc.
So now we are thinking about putting our home on the market earlier, like September. Of course if the house sells early then we have to figure out where to live (with our dogs) & where to put our stuff.
Any thoughts or ideas??
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
It can always be worked out where you have a 'long' closing although those sometimes have more chance of falling apart as situations change over time, you can also do a lease-back, where they purchase the house but you lease it back from them until you are ready to move. If those don't work out or can't come into play, then you just do a short term rental. I don't know your market but if the Realtors® there are telling you to leave more time for selling or list at a different time, I'd listen to them.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
I am not a realtor...If I was in your situation, I think I would put it on in the summer...Maybe June. I don't know where you are, but here in Northern Virginia, there is a 12 month supply. So, I would price it aggressively and go on in June...If you get an offer right away...maybe you should do a short term rental. Or, rent from the new owners...or rent to the new owners. And, if you don't get an offer right away, you have some time to make some adjustments to price, upgrades...whatever.
Good luck

Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,617 times
Depends where you are located, but I would put it on the market now. The worst case is it sells quickly and you have to find temp housing. Beats having 2 mortgages and the stress/anxiety of a house not selling. Good luck

Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,716 times
We will be closing on the sale of our house tomorrow!
My thoughts after our sale process is list now! The winter (we listed in September) is awful and there's this dead period over the Holidays (Thanksgiving, christmas) when there are no showings. Things picked up rapidly mid January and, according to our realtor, usually keeps speeding up in the summer.
As to the recessions, bad housing market, etc. . .if your house is in a desirable area and is listed at a reasonable price it should sell. We are also in the middle of buying a home and the ones in good areas sell like hot cakes. I wouldn't put your life on hold waiting for the market to get better.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:13 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,915 times
Thanks for your suggestions. Putting the house on the market now is just too early for us for a number of reasons but I do inderstand your point. I think we will work on getting the house "ready" for a late summer sale. If it sells early hopefully we can get a month-to-month rental or delay the close for a period of time., if possible. Right now my neighborhood seems to be selling well so that is a good thing (I hope it stays that way!!). In November, my same model sold in 10 days for a very good price. Where the market will be later this year is the big question mark. It's nerve-wracking now, and we haven't even put the house on the market!!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. Putting the house on the market now is just too early for us for a number of reasons but I do inderstand your point. I think we will work on getting the house "ready" for a late summer sale. If it sells early hopefully we can get a month-to-month rental or delay the close for a period of time., if possible. Right now my neighborhood seems to be selling well so that is a good thing (I hope it stays that way!!). In November, my same model sold in 10 days for a very good price. Where the market will be later this year is the big question mark. It's nerve-wracking now, and we haven't even put the house on the market!!

You have the CHOICE of giving yourself some time. Why roll the dice by giving yourself a limited window? If this was 3 years ago I'd say go for the end of summer, but no way now. Best case is you sell within a month or two (probably not likely though). If you sell in 4 or 5 months, and you put it out for sale at the end of summer, your cutting it way too close....problems can arise w/the buyers getting loans, etc...

As some previous posters have said, you may think the "end of summer" will give you enough time, but its alot less than you think.

just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate