Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 04:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
look at craig's list; many have long term rental; the nice thing about craig's list is you can jump from place to place, if one place is not available for all the time that you need
look at apartments with month-to-month rental agreements
look at motels or extended stay, many accept pets

we've done this twice when we were between houses
once with three children under the age of two
and both times were with houseful of furniture, which went into storage. We sent the moving truck full of our household goods ahead to the destination of our new house, only instead of having it delivered to the house it went into storage, that was really easy, when the house was ready the moving company then delivered it.

all we had to do was keep out what we needed for several months.
Do the national moving companies have storage facilities that they use to store items until the final move to a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 08:19 AM

347 posts, read 427,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Do the national moving companies have storage facilities that they use to store items until the final move to a home?
Yes, or at least I know United and Allied do. But they are pricey. It's typically more cost effective to use a Pod, or something similar. Even some of the local moving companies in my area will store you things on their truck for a few days.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:25 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
We are considering selling our house, but are stuck on one point.
The lender has said that because we need the profit from our current house to close on a new house, we will probably have to live somewhere else in between closing on the current house and closing on a new house.
(I hope that makes sense.)

We've sold a few houses but have never been in this situation before.

Ideally, I thought we were going to find a house we like, and put in an offer contingent upon us selling our current house. Then once we got an acceptable offer on our current house, start the escrow process on the new house and the current house concurrently.
Maybe we'd spend a couple of nights in a hotel.

Apparently it doesn't happen that way, and we may be living in limbo -- with two large, rowdy dogs -- for up to a couple of months.

I can't fathom where we'll live for that time.
We don't have friends or family to turn to.
Kenneling alone would be $2000+ a month.

Has anybody else been in this scenario who can offer advice?
We found an apartment that did not have a lease. Since we had a living room and a den in our home we left we had to put two living rooms together in the apartment. It was two bedrooms so we had to put both children in one bedroom but we managed. There are storage buildings if you want to go the hotel route.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:51 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
My clients usually go into an Apartment for 6 months after selling their home. That way you have the cash in the bank and free to move forward without a contingent offer on the sale of your home.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:21 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
We are in the exact same scenario (except add two cats) and no one in our crazy seller's market will even consider a contingent on sale offer. And we are retirement age and it's really, really hot. Talk about stress. We are putting stuff in local storage and luckily just located a little furnished house with yard nearby to stay in for six weeks. Found it in the local craigslist sublet section. That at least will give us a few weeks to close on our house and figure out next steps. May still have to spend a few days in an extended stay right before closing too. If you specify pet friendly when looking online, it will narrow down your choices. Good luck!!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:36 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
My situation is similar, so i'm going to piggyback on this thread, hoping that's OK.

My biggest difference is - i'm retired - living on a small pension and Social Security. My house is paid for, and i probably wont be getting a mortgage on the next one (probably wont quality, i dont think). So I will need the profit from selling my home, to buy my next home - in another state.

It's hard to house-hunt and see things you like when you probably have no leverage in decding to buy or making an offer. :-/

I guess when i list mine, my realtor will help me figure it all out. I see a lot of stress ahead - but i know i have to look ahead at the prize. Life in a better state and better location! Less taxes etc.

Last edited by Jellybean50; 07-15-2016 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
My situation is similar, so i'm going to piggyback on this thread, hoping that's OK.

My biggest difference is - i'm retired - living on a small pension and Social Security. My house is paid for, and i probably wont be getting a mortgage on the next one (probably wont quality, i dont think). So I will need the profit from selling my home, to buy my next home - in another state.

It's hard to house-hunt and see things you like when you probably have no leverage in decding to buy or making an offer. :-/

I guess when i list mine, my realtor will help me figure it all out. I see a lot of stress ahead - but i know i have to look ahead at the prize. Life in a better state and better location! Less taxes etc.
I had a similar situation. Found a place we wanted to relocate to and they were selling faster than we could sell our existing, mortgage free home. We put a mortgage (home equity) on the mortgage free home and used the proceeds to pay cash for the new home. Yes I owned both at the same time and had a mortgage payment for a few months on a vacant, for sale home which sold a few months later. Overall, this was the easiest way to do the transaction.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I had a similar situation. Found a place we wanted to relocate to and they were selling faster than we could sell our existing, mortgage free home. We put a mortgage (home equity) on the mortgage free home and used the proceeds to pay cash for the new home. Yes I owned both at the same time and had a mortgage payment for a few months on a vacant, for sale home which sold a few months later. Overall, this was the easiest way to do the transaction.
Thanks for that insight. My income is pretty small and i dont know if that would work. The houses there are selling pretty fast right now, too. Ugh...

But i will think this over!

Old 07-16-2016, 11:54 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I can't offer anything that isn't already posted. But I wanted to say that this very thing is a growing, humongous problem in the Portland-metro area. Had lunch with a friend yesterday who is going to sell her house as soon as they move into their son's rental where they intend to live long-term. She is lucky. She did look into extended-stay hotels and, to live in one for 2 months, was quoted $8,000! I found that hard to believe, but she isn't one to exaggerate. That's ridiculous! On the other hand, it probably won't take them 2 DAYS to sell it, let alone months.

But that is an ugly problem for people who don't have such options. Maybe extended-stay hotels is taking advantage of these scenarios and charging more because they "can".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate