Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
We looked at a house and the owner had died recently. His wife had died a couple of years previously. It was a mountain cabin and there were some very cool features, like the kitchen that had been outfitted with red appliances from the 50s and a view that was to die for, layers and layers of mountain views. The set up of the house was extremely odd to me, though. You had to enter the house through the kitchen. Off from the kitchen in one direction was the only full bathroom, in the other direction was the living room. You accessed the loft bedroom from the living room. The only bedroom accessible from the inside of the cabin. There were no railings on the outside of the stairs going up to the loft, which was scary and dangerous as far as I was concerned. Then, we looked at the loft (master) bedroom. I told my husband that there was no way I'd want to try to go down those stairs to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Then I opened the closet. There was a commode in the closet under the closet rod with hangers hanging from it. Just a commode, no sink or anything. I guess they decided going downstairs to go to the bathroom was too dangerous, too!

Then, if you went back outside through the kitchen and turned left, there was a door. Through that door was the second bedroom with no direct access to the house or the bathroom.

If you came out of that bedroom, you had to walk down and around the mountain side of the house to access the basement area which had a craft room and apparently another bedroom. I have no idea if it had a bathroom down there or not.

It was by far the oddest, but still very cool, house I have ever seen.

We did look at one other house many years ago that appeared to have been patched together over the years with no rhyme or reason for how the rooms flowed. You had to walk through each room to reach the next, so to go from the back of the house to the front, you had to walk through 4 or 5 rooms.
OMG, I'm literally crying tears...from laughing so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 06:31 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymtea View Post
A house in a very Italian area of NY with marble everywhere - floors, walls, ceilings... and the all marble living room had a drain the floor.
It was a foreclosure also, so all the outlets had been ripped out and the wires cut in every room - one last big F*** you I guess!
Odd.

Once toured a place where the lone bathroom that had been painted to look like marble. Cream base coat with darker "veins" painted on with a feather, I presume.

Everything was painted marble -- walls, tub, toilet, sink, counter, floor-- everything.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-03-2016 at 06:56 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 12:01 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
BLACK sinks and TOILETS!

There was literally no way to see what might be floating in there! Yikes!

Old 09-04-2016, 12:06 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
BLACK sinks and TOILETS!

There was literally no way to see what might be floating in there! Yikes!
Isn't that a GOOD thing? lol.

"We all float down here" - Pennywise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRo3TmM4Ljw

Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I went to look at a home that was in the middle of town but off a cute little county road near a creek. It looks like you went from a town into the woods in an instant. The first problem was that several homes on that block, not that there were more than 4 or 5 on each side had for sale signs. Then looking at the home itself, there was a hole in the ceiling of a bedroom closet where a critter had gotten in and there were a few leaves on the floor. Also the hot water heater was outside on the porch (south Florida) The re agent told me that wouldn't pass for an FHA loan, it would have to be enclosed. Also the flooring looked nice and new but when you walked on it, it popped like you were walking on bubble wrap,

Old 09-04-2016, 09:40 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
When my mom and dad were first married, my dad applied for a park ranger type job in the nh mountains. A "home' came with the job. When they were looking at it, they opened the refigerator and a raccount came out of it! The person showing it didn't seem surprised and said "George, what are you doing in there again?"

My dad didn't take the job. But I would have loved to be raised where there was wildlife.

I showed a house one time to some clients that had naked 8x10 pics on the living rm bookshelves.

Also showed a house that had HUGE paintings of naked women masturbating, and others with large naked black women squatting down showing enormous bushes. TheRe were large naked women pantings all over the house. The house used to have a little old couple living there, but the husband passed away, and now it's his wife and adult daughter. Not sure why their agent didn't suggest maybe storing those photos for showings. These were not rubeneaque type art. Some of the paintings looked like a teen boy did them.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
A long time ago we visited a house in the country. I don't remember much about the house except I noticed a chair turned over in one of the rooms. And then we noticed bullet holes in one of the windows. We did not have a good feeling about that house, and we left pretty quick.

More recently we toured a nicely built home dating from the mid 1980s. It had a tree growing in an enclosed small atrium in the middle of the house. If my memory is correct, the top was open, but the sides were glassed in, and there were lights in it. The enclosure was perhaps 3 feet square. Apparently the tree had been there for some time, although it was not huge.

The house was intriguing for several reasons, although it would have required a lot of rehab. And then there was the tree growing in a glass room in the center of the house. Also, there was a foyer with a mirrored ceiling. Interesting, but odd. We did not buy that house, although I liked some of it very well. But it had too many problems.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:52 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
- A bathroom with everything painted fire engine red: Walls, floor, door, ceiling, bathtub, toilet, sink. Everything else in the place was normal.

- An unfinished indoor pool. The couple had separated, and a huge dirt pit was adjacent to the family room.

- A house with a DIY second story added. The rather narrow staircase was in the living room, and had no railing on the outside and no handrail along the wall.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:35 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
My grandparents had a strange home. It looked like a fairly standard ranch style home. 1 story, no basement. But it had 2 front doors and no other back door or side door. One door on each side of the front of the house. It had 1 small bathroom, but once in the bathroom there was an entrance to another small room, no actual door and there was a empty space in the wall, like a window could have been there. It was all finished nicely, but quite strange. The room was about the same size as the actual bathroom, it had a window, a small table set at the window with a chair. No mirrors or any sort of cabinets. But there where small shelves with tons of little antiques on every wall. It was like a little museum in the bathroom. The same house was all one floor, except both bedrooms were a step higher then the rest of the house. There wasn't a single closet in that whole house either, I always thought that was odd.

When I was younger, maybe 12, my family toured this old crappy home, it was so bad the owner, a single older man, moved into his barn behind the house. The barn had dirt floors, a toilet, sink, and bathtub. Oh and a bed, couch, and tv. No kitchen though. The barn also had a huge glass roof over part of the barn, almost like a greenhouse and that is where he lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate