Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:15 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times

Advertisements

One day to get title insurance? That's fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 02:15 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
How are people able to buy a house and pay every penny of it with cash? Don't you have to have stable income and something that shows where you get your money from (This is what you would have to go through when trying to get an apartment to rent)?
Hi OP. Just bought one for all cash earlier this year.

Basically you write your offer as an all cash deal. To give the seller some assurance that you have the cash, you will generally show them a liquid asset that contains enough money to cover the transaction.

Prior to closing you will wire the funds to an escrow account. By doing it that way, everyone knows the money was clean enough to get into the banking system. The title company will check to make sure funds have cleared and you're all set. You do save in fees because you don't need to pay title costs for your banker etc.

If you're looking for a home and have enough liquid cash to do so, you may want to check on local auctions in your area. These generally have to be paid in all cash with different variations of cashiers checks, which eliminates most potential buyers. It's not uncommon for people to buy something at auction from forced sellers (i.e bank foreclosures), use some cash to make it presentable, and then profit from a regular sale where people have time to get financing.

My first condo I bought was from a guy who paid all cash, and then sold it to me two months later for a 15% profit. Some people may think he's bad for doing that, but he brought the unit back onto the market in a way I or someone else could buy it. The original homeowner is released from their obligation to repay the remaining debt. Since then it's appreciated much more. So everyone wins. (Except the foreclosing bank)

Old 07-26-2016, 03:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
It was really easy for us. Made a cash offer that was accepted. We had a request for proof of funds, which our credit union emailed to us that day. The day before we closed we were given the amount to bring to the table. This was in Arizona, so we went to the local credit union, which had shared banking with our Alaska credit union. They were able to give us a certified check for the full amount in about five minutes. The next day we closed without any problems. It was about as hassle-free as can be.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:18 PM

12 posts, read 12,461 times
What an interesting thread. I was wondering the same thing and first thing that came to my mind is that if the house is cheap like 100k or less then it's really not unusual if someone wants to pay in cash and avoid the red tape and fees of financing and mortgage. Now after reading this thread, I'm seeing that there are so many different scenarios why one can or chooses to buy a house in cash.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:27 PM

483 posts, read 532,850 times
Here's one that I've heard of here in Austin, TX - the parents own a paid off house, they take out a mortgage, give the kids the money to make their offer more attractive since it is now a cash offer. Kids buy the house cash, then take out a mortgage and pay the parents back.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:57 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
How are people able to buy a house and pay every penny of it with cash? Don't you have to have stable income and something that shows where you get your money from (This is what you would have to go through when trying to get an apartment to rent)?

Do what I did. Sold in a high price area, took the equity and bought a couple in low priced areas.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
All cash offers are very common in South Florida.

I always submit proof of funds with the offer.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelust View Post
What an interesting thread. I was wondering the same thing and first thing that came to my mind is that if the house is cheap like 100k or less then it's really not unusual if someone wants to pay in cash and avoid the red tape and fees of financing and mortgage. Now after reading this thread, I'm seeing that there are so many different scenarios why one can or chooses to buy a house in cash.
Bought a $200k house at the beginning of the housing run-up. Sold it for $550k about eight years later and relocated to a less expensive part of the country. Parked the profit in a high-yield CD and rented a small, inexpensive house while we searched for a permanent place to call home. We found it two years later listed for $275k in a nice neighborhood just down the street from my husband's workplace. Made our offer, had the bank wire the funds, and bought it free and clear.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
It would be very weird to have to document your income to buy a house in cash. That is usually a loan requirement, not a requirement to simply buy the house.

I suppose in theory a really strict condo, coop, or HOA might want proof of employment to approve a resident, if they have gotten burned by people not paying.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
My parents made a good profit on every house they sold. They would roll the profit into the next property they bought. After doing that a few times, they were able to pay cash for a modest house and 80 acres. When they were too old to take care of the 80 acres, they sold it and bought two houses - a house for them and a rental house - and had money left over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate