Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:16 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

Their house being one of the middle lots they don't actually have a back yard for the dog at all. Just a few foot strip between driveways. And front yards are limited to a 3 foot fence. Certainly not enough to contain that big dog. So I guess they'll be walking it frequently. I wouldn't have bought that lot with a dog. Hopefully they obey the leash laws. It was a big intimidating bark coming out of the garage while we were standing in our driveway. Sure hope that's not where they'll keep it for the dog's sake. They don't appear to be using the garage for their cars.

Ours is the corner lot with the most grass, but we'll be fencing it in so hopefully they weren't planning on using that.

Considering the other options in our price range were a townhouse/condo, paying above asking(crazy Portland area market) for an older and smaller place with a marginally bigger lot, or maybe some acreage an hour+ out with a mobile home on it I still think this is the best decision for us.

Last edited by notnamed; 07-29-2016 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 01:04 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Considering the other options in our price range were a townhouse/condo, paying above asking(crazy Portland area market) for an older and smaller place with a marginally bigger lot, or maybe some acreage an hour+ out with a mobile home on it I still think this is the best decision for us.
Then it might well work out ok. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:07 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'd make one more trip to see if things have improved. If they haven't, you might want to consider losing that $2500 and avoid decades of a headache. When I did have neighbors, I had bad ones and I couldn't do anything about it. I hated every day of it.
I'd go back every day and see how the situation is until the day I can't back out anymore. I've had a neighbor from hell once and I'd never want one again, but unless you can live in a gated estate, you just hope not to be next to the NFHs if you can avoid it.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:57 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
My take: older kid apologized = parents instilled some manners into the kids = hands on parenting

Dog barking on moving day... Pets aren't big on changes. It takes a bit of time to have them settle into their new home. Dog barking in the garage = where to put the dog while moving items into the house = responsible pet owners that don't want their dog running out and getting lost.

Trash piled up next to the house = putting it all in one area to get it ready for trash pickup day.

Go back in two weeks and see if there is improvement. I'm thinking your previous experiences with majorly bad neighbors are coloring your views.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:31 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Their house being one of the middle lots they don't actually have a back yard for the dog at all. Just a few foot strip between driveways. And front yards are limited to a 3 foot fence. Certainly not enough to contain that big dog. So I guess they'll be walking it frequently. I wouldn't have bought that lot with a dog. Hopefully they obey the leash laws. It was a big intimidating bark coming out of the garage while we were standing in our driveway. Sure hope that's not where they'll keep it for the dog's sake. They don't appear to be using the garage for their cars.

Ours is the corner lot with the most grass, but we'll be fencing it in so hopefully they weren't planning on using that.

When we recently moved, we used our garage as our staging area (we moved ourselves using a UHAUL). It rained on and off during our move, so we needed to put our stuff somewhere while unpacking and needed to take the UHAUL and drop it off. That also meant that most of our boxes and bags that were emptied needed to go outside the garage until we could run them down the mountain to the dump. It also meant that our cars were in the driveway until we could get the garage cleared out. It only took us a couple of days, but during that time, it was kind of disordered.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I make it a point to be introduced to neighbors outdoor pets... life just is easier all around with friendly neighborhood pets.

Also think pets can tell attitude...

One place I lived I soon became my new neighbors dog best friend... I would feed it when they were away for a few days... the neighbor on the other side soon became public enemy number one at least in the dog's eyes.

It is unnerving to say the least when a dog is charging the fence and acts like it would like nothing better than to have a piece of you.

In defense of dogs... they can mean the difference in being burglarized or not...

Old 07-30-2016, 08:36 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The good news is that once the cable is turned on those kids will probably be glued to their XBox. The bad news is the dog. Contrary to a previous post, large barking dogs do not usually live in the house. I can't count the number of times I've been measuring a house under contract and the neighbor's dogs hit the fence barking like crazy. I always wonder, "Why would anyone buy this house with those dogs there?" I have also been hired on a number of occasions to perform "diminished value" appraisals because the neighbor's barking dogs weren't disclosed and the buyer was suing the broker. Good luck.
I used to live next to a woman who had two German Shepards. One day I was outside when the mailman came by. He asked me, "How can you stand living next to those dogs barking all the time?" My response: They only bark when YOU are around. Which was the truth.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:07 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
If they put the garbage in the garage where would they put the garage stuff when they unload it?

Old 07-30-2016, 09:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Rule #1 in my book: Good fences make good neighbors.

If at all possible, make that fence 6' high and solid - non see through. Invest in shrubs and things like pine trees now, to place in front if that fence to alleviate noise. At 9 and 13, in just a few years those kids will likely be quieter and have better things to do than trapse across your yard. As for the noisy dog? He's probably wanting to play or is just not used to his new home. Give him time. If he continues to be a nuisance, give him bologna (ahem).

If "CC&R's" forbid such fencing (or other things that allow you to tastefully establish some privacy), you have made a bad decision.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:41 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
When a new home was going in next to me and with second story views of my yard I immediately went to the garden nursery and order 12 Coast Oak trees...

It's been 7 years and I pat myself on the back because these trees provide the perfect buffer and require no water once established...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate