Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 04:08 PM

309 posts, read 322,906 times

Advertisements

I am asking this for a friend. He combined his primary home policy, cars and 3 rental properties. About 2/3 yrs ago one of his rental property had a major leak on the 2nd floor. He filed a claim about $25k. His premium went up.

Which is better get 2 separate policies one for his primary resident and the other for the rental properties. I told him just because he had a claim does not mean his rates will be high with other companies. Why do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 05:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
Which is better get 2 separate policies one (for personal) and the other (for investments)?
Separation makes the usual sorts of things simpler.

But even with that, the far more important issue is having adequate levels of coverage,
deductibles you can afford and an Umbrella policy.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:56 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,189 times
With three he might want to start looking at LLC's to shield himself if something goes wrong in a rental. Separation also creates levels of protection.

For me, I have separate policies, one for my home, one for my rental (only have 1) and an umbrella for back-up.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:20 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
we use landlord insurance on the rentals and homeowners when we have a home to indsure .

never use homeowners to cover a rental . they are very different in how they work .

homeowners is for owner occupied . it has everyone in your household covered as an insured .

in the case of a tenant vandalism , theft or arson wold be considered an insurance job as the tenant is an insured like your family is .

landlord insurance breaks that link . i found out the difference the hard way .

landlord insurance was a bit more .

don't forget your insurer knows all about you , they have your insurance score . they know nothing about your tenant

Old 08-12-2016, 07:21 AM

55 posts, read 60,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
With three he might want to start looking at LLC's to shield himself if something goes wrong in a rental. Separation also creates levels of protection.

For me, I have separate policies, one for my home, one for my rental (only have 1) and an umbrella for back-up.
This is probably the best way to go about it. Even if he doesn't want a LLC, (it would definitely protect him) a policy for the rentals that is separate from his personal home is a great idea. An umbrella would be nice too, and might be cheaper too if the LLC has the risk and not himself.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:16 AM

309 posts, read 322,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we use landlord insurance on the rentals and homeowners when we have a home to indsure .

never use homeowners to cover a rental . they are very different in how they work .

homeowners is for owner occupied . it has everyone in your household covered as an insured .

in the case of a tenant vandalism , theft or arson wold be considered an insurance job as the tenant is an insured like your family is .

landlord insurance breaks that link . i found out the difference the hard way .

landlord insurance was a bit more .

don't forget your insurer knows all about you , they have your insurance score . they know nothing about your tenant
To clarify he did not use homeowner insurance to cover rental. An example all the policies are under X insurance company. 1 policy for his home one for rental a another for rental b and another for rental c.

My question is it better to use X insurance for homeowner and cars insurance and Y insurance for the rental properties or just have all of them under X? Is it any cheaper?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:24 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
in the end any and all claims will be in your clue report . while it is up to your insurer as to what they will do as far as increasing or dropping you , if you shop for insurance all property under your ss number will come up and all claims paid out count as far as clue goes .

in fact claims on the property made by a previous owner can count against you . clue follows the property as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate