Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 03:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't see how anyone from that area could not know you are potentially in a flood zone. It's so low lying and you have some bays/canals as protection but for all intents and purposes you're right next to the Atlantic. That area has flooded plenty over the years. Where are you from?
After Sandy came barreling through, most of the area became a flood zone overnight because it had massive flooding. They're still rebuilding many houses years later. Hopefully it won't be like Katrina and Rita where 10 years later, the rebuild is still underway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 03:44 PM

45 posts, read 71,644 times
Quote:
I don't see how anyone from that area could not know you are potentially in a flood zone. It's so low lying and you have some bays/canals as protection but for all intents and purposes you're right next to the Atlantic. That area has flooded plenty over the years. Where are you from?
Ridgewood, Queens.

Is taking away some commission from the realtor or the bank waiving fees or lowering our rate an option ?

Old 08-14-2016, 03:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouRod87 View Post
The house in Lindenwood, Queens. There are two agents involved. The sellers decided to give us the $500. This is the norm in NYC.
Quote:
NY state has no required disclosure form. A seller can opt to pay back $500 at closing in lieu of the form. It is the seller's choice.
So instead of the Property Condition Disclosure Statement you opted for the $500?

This would be your fault because you opted not to know in lieu of $500.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Ridgewood, Queens.

Is taking away some commission from the realtor or the bank waiving fees or lowering our rate an option ?
Nope. All buyers need to do their own due diligence. Why would anyone give you money back because you didn't do your homework?

Old 08-14-2016, 04:20 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Lou, this is not the house for you. You will end up paying more to insure this house against floods than you will for the house. (or it will seem like it anyway). There will be no end to how much they will screw with you.

Find a house in a Flood Zone X. Use this site that a couple people already provided and plug the address in, it will tell you the zone Flood Partners | FEMA Flood Zone Information
Do not depend on realtors. If it doesn't say Zone X, move on to the next property.

Start to research financing on your own and don't depend on your real estate agent to do it for you. Since this is your first time, go to your bank and talk to them. Also talk to a credit union. That will start your education, what are points, closing costs, etc.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:51 PM

45 posts, read 71,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So instead of the Property Condition Disclosure Statement you opted for the $500?

This would be your fault because you opted not to know in lieu of $500.
It's the norm in NYC. No home owner is filling it out.

ss20ts, I agree I should of but what are realtors for ?

jw2, I agree. I'm going to try and get out of this. I asked my agent about this hurting the value of the home and he said he doesn't think so. I know NYC is a crazy market but this will definitely hurt. You can buy a house 3-4 blocks away in zone X where flood insurance isn't mandatory and if you do decide to get it then its a lot cheaper. This puts our home at a disadvantage. I also dont like what I'm reading about FEMA's debt and them controlling the rates.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
It's the norm in NYC. No home owner is filling it out.

ss20ts, I agree I should of but what are realtors for ?

jw2, I agree. I'm going to try and get out of this. I asked my agent about this hurting the value of the home and he said he doesn't think so. I know NYC is a crazy market but this will definitely hurt. You can buy a house 3-4 blocks away in zone X where flood insurance isn't mandatory and if you do decide to get it then its a lot cheaper. This puts our home at a disadvantage. I also dont like what I'm reading about FEMA's debt and them controlling the rates.
Realtors are there to show properties and guide you through the process. A GUIDE does NOT mean they do all the work nor does it mean that buyers do not have to do their own due diligence.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:13 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Even with the maps I find it confusing but maybe I'm just a little slow. For example Zone A is undetermined and not a designated flood zone. Does that mean a mortgage lender can still require you to have flood insurance in such a zone? Also, I am assuming the flood insurance is required to obtain a mortgage. If one pays cash for a house, does the government require you to have flood insurance or would it be up to the person buying the house to determine whether or not they wish to obtain it?

Old 08-14-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Even with the maps I find it confusing but maybe I'm just a little slow. For example Zone A is undetermined and not a designated flood zone. Does that mean a mortgage lender can still require you to have flood insurance in such a zone? Also, I am assuming the flood insurance is required to obtain a mortgage. If one pays cash for a house, does the government require you to have flood insurance or would it be up to the person buying the house to determine whether or not they wish to obtain it?
Flood insurance is required for mortgages. Thus, if you pay cash for a house, you're not required to have flood insurance. However, if you live in a flood zone, you'd be a fool not to have flood insurance. Some areas should never be rebuilt on. Until the government says enough we're not paying to rebuild, people keep on rebuilding. Think of many coastal areas....not just oceanic....Mississippi....that sucker has flooded countless times and people keep getting $$$$ to rebuild on the same spot.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Sounds like your Realtor is blaming everything on the banker. Your obviously lucky she caught that, since your Realtor didn't.

Seriously, I would think your Realtor should have known that the house he was showing you would require flood insurance.

Especially since he represented to you it wasn't in the flood plain. Makes you wonder what else he was wrong about. Due diligence!

Regardless, you can put your flood insurance into your house payment....it isn't that big of a deal.

But, you can do a historical search regarding past floods in that area. That's what I'd do.
http://www.insure.com/home-insurance/past-claims.html
http://www.trulia.com/voices/Propert...looded_-162995
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate