Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times

Advertisements

We recently purchased a home contingent on the sale of our current house (of which we sold in 12 hours!!! yay!).

Amongst signing a ton of documents, it appears we agreed to give immediate occupancy to the buyers of our current home (and we have the same right in the house we bought). After it was too late, I put 2&2 together and realized, how do we time our move (the houses are 2 miles from eachother)?

In hindsight, I wish my realtor would have advised me to ask our buyer to take occupancy 2 days after close so we could time our move a little better.

So my question is this (I know the date of close, but not the time of day yet), how/when do you time the move?

We are hiring a moving company, I'm assuming at this point the ideal situation would be to have an afternoon close (on both homes), and have the moving company show up in the morning, load fast, we attend the close, while the moving company shows up at the new home?

Are their any other creative solutions? a few I thought of, are these reasonable?
1) even though the contract says otherwise, ask our buyers if they can wait a day? (from what I understand, despite their excitement this is feasible for them)
2) ask the seller of the home we bought if we can move boxes into the garage a day early (from what I understand, he's already moved out)

Any advice on this situation, including best case scenarios would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Rent a truck. Load it. Spend the night in a hotel. Close on both homes. Move in.

Essentially, you have to load and unload anyway.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Rent a truck. Load it. Spend the night in a hotel. Close on both homes. Move in.

Essentially, you have to load and unload anyway.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Easiest cheapest solution!

Old 08-24-2016, 10:47 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Both of your options are reasonable, but you should have your agent negotiate them via ammendment, so both sides have clear rules legally, and make sure your insurance covers your bases... both of them.

Decide how you'd like to handle it and talk to your broker. Sounds like the easiest solution might be to negotiate moving things into the new garage a day early.

Closings are often a dance with many players who all have to roll into motion at the same time.

On edit... the moving truck and hotel option is also a good one if the circumstances allow it!

Old 08-24-2016, 11:01 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Closings are normally done in the morning, that way if anything goes wrong or other paperwork needs to be found you have time to get it.

I had a truck reserved for the closing date, In the morning I went in and completed the rental paperwork and got the keys, drove my car to the closing, after that I drove back and got the truck and left my car there. I moved by myself so it was tough. I also had to be out of my old place on the same day, but that was a roommate situation and he let me go back the next day to finish up the cleaning up. I was not done with the move until after the truck rental place closed so I had to keep the truck all night. My car was behind the gate so I could not get it and leave the truck. Awful Uhaul 15 foot box truck, had no pick up at all. Big rig trucks were accelerating faster than I was, I think it had transmission problems.

You really can't expect someone to take occupancy 2 days after the close, you should have scheduled the home you were buying to close 2 days earlier and move then.

Good luck.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:18 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Look at your contract. Our time of occupancy is 6pm the date of close, unless the contract is modified.

As you agent to discuss with your buyer if they would be willing to let you RENT BACK for 2 days after you close. It will be their house, you will need to pay them for the privilege of staying 2 days in their house. If they agree, get it in writing.

And if that doesn't work, load the moving truck, have it deliver when you close.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:19 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Call the movers and work something out with them.

Something like this happened with my mom, movers loaded one afternoon, stored the truck overnight, unloaded in the new house the next day. If you have a quality local moving company, they have dealt with this before and can give you the best suggestion based on your individual circumstances.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:23 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Just because the closings are scheduled does not mean they will actually happen on time.

The moving company will store your stuff in a warehouse for an extra charge that may be acceptable.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:07 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yeah get your stuff out of the current place a day or two before. Then air bed/sleeping bag the current place until day of closing. Gives you time for one last thorough cleaning while all your stuff is out too.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:14 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
You all are so efficient. I've never managed to close on selling and buying on the same day. I am so impressed.

P.S. I can't imagine the stress! But once it is over, you'll be out of one house and in the other almost immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate