Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 AM

141 posts, read 171,897 times

Advertisements

I am fed up with real estate professionals using email as a way to transmit documents containing sensitive financial information(ssn, dob, bank account, etc). Email is not secure. I ask them not to do it, but it goes in one ear and out the other.

What often happens is they scan and upload documents to Docusign or Dotloop without defining the form fields. They don't understand how to fix it, so they tell me to download it, fill it out, scan it, and email it. This happened yesterday, so I uploaded the docs to Dropbox with a password. I called the agent and told her to share the link and password with whomever needed it. What does she do? She downloads every document and blasts it out via email, exposing my ssn, address, dob, bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

Real estate professionals are putting their profits before my safety and financial security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Why was your REP doing this - shouldn't this be between you and your lender?

Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 AM

455 posts, read 464,276 times
First of all, you have one agent doing this. To me this sounds like a training issue with that agent, her actions are not representative of the profession. If your agent cannot learn how to use an e-sig platform in this day and age, find one who does.

Are you buying or leasing? If it is leasing, I understand why your Realtor would have that info. If you're buying, I don't. That financial data would be between you and your lender. I never want to know that data when my clients are buying.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Why was your REP doing this - shouldn't this be between you and your lender?
This was my question also.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
it seems to be a property management/renter relationship

Old 08-18-2016, 01:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
What I find creepy is that my RE Agent used a thing called Portal which linked to a site that listed possible homes, but it also gave me access to view all the homes his other customers were looking for plus other info.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:41 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post

Real estate professionals are putting their profits before my safety and financial security.
You've not given us much detail. Is this your 1 agent or hundreds?

I don't do what you suggest.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
If this is an actual realtor, contact their broker and let them know.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:28 PM

141 posts, read 171,897 times
I'm currently trying to lease a condo. I bought a home 4 years ago and I had the same problem. The loan processor couldn't get Docusign to define the form fields, so I uploaded to their website. Then, she blasted it out via email. A couple years ago, I was selling a house and my agent started using email when she couldn't figure out Docusign. I know it's not me, because I use Docusign for my work and I've never had any problems with it. So, it's not just agents, is also loan companies.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
I am fed up with real estate professionals using email as a way to transmit documents containing sensitive financial information(ssn, dob, bank account, etc). Email is not secure. I ask them not to do it, but it goes in one ear and out the other.

What often happens is they scan and upload documents to Docusign or Dotloop without defining the form fields. They don't understand how to fix it, so they tell me to download it, fill it out, scan it, and email it. This happened yesterday, so I uploaded the docs to Dropbox with a password. I called the agent and told her to share the link and password with whomever needed it. What does she do? She downloads every document and blasts it out via email, exposing my ssn, address, dob, bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

Why is your agent getting your personal info? That's not their business. My agent saw none of my personal info. Other than lender letters and proof of funds showing a dollar amount. My lender was the only person that saw my financials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate