Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 08:43 AM

97 posts, read 138,795 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a stilt home (cinder block) in a coastal area that is not as high as current code but is grandfathered so I would not have to raise it. However, I would probably want to in the relative near future. Is this even possible? I assume that if homes can be moved, they can also be raised but have zero experience with anyone who has done this before. Has anyone out there done this before/does anyone do this who can provide some real information/experience? Thank you for any information/input!

T
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
The house can be raised but it's not going to be cheap. The existing stilts/piers and their footings will have to be checked to ensure they can carry the taller load and may have to be replaced entirely. You should reach out to a local professional to give you an idea of the possibility and cost.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:59 AM

106,580 posts, read 108,739,314 times
if you do raise it , remember that there are pipes and things that run under the house . my buddy raised his fire island hiome and now wishes he did it 1 ft higher . he keeps hitting his head on the pipes while underneath .

Old 09-18-2016, 04:35 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I just saw it done on one of those house flipping shows. Raise the house, put a foundation under it. Cost was some money but less than I would have expected it to cost.

Just like moving a house. They put beams under it and jack it up. That house was raised because of new code. It was a Sandy damaged house on a ground level foundation and they just had a house moving company lift it right up in the air while they built a new foundation under it.

One thing I would certainly check up on. I would think that a house on stilts would get the wind underneath it and maybe lift it up. It seems to me that a solid foundation would be sturdier, plus giving you some very nice storage space under the house. I'd talk to an engineer before I spent any money to make sure I got the house raised in the best method.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:43 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Much simpler than raising a normal house. You basically have the lifting frame in place. So basically you jack it up and build a new stand. Take the same or less engineering than putting it up originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate