Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:12 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Sounds sketchy.

That said.... Ask if you can inspect it before signing a contract to buy it. Reasonable request.
Oh, that's another thing--not allowed to read the contract before signing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 05:30 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Asking permission to have an inspection before signing a sales contract is quite unusual, but if I were the seller I would agree provided it's by a licensed, bonded inspector and that I be provided with a copy of the inspection report. That's putting the cart in front of the horse but I'd love to have a dry run on the inspection to see if there are any issues I must address.

It's usual that a contract is negotiated, and then if any adverse conditions are found by the inspector the seller must either agree to fix the issues, or sometimes an "as is" sale is negotiated with seller paying cost of repairs to buyer through escrow.

I'd love to have a free "dry run" inspection on any house I'm selling.

There is another side of the issue a seller might consider, that if any inspection shows issues the seller is not aware of, the seller would then be obligated to either fix them or disclose them in a different deal. Myself, I'd rather just fix anything discovered and have a clean disclosure.

If, however, I'm under contract and the inspection shows anything, I'd try to negotiate a seller contribution to buyer's closing costs and have the buyer deal with the repairs.

If you are a seller, nothing looks finer than a fully executed and closed HUD-1, a cashier's check, and the deal in your rear view mirror!

Old 12-20-2016, 08:08 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoman View Post
I passed on the house. I called the city and they said the owner never pulled any permits in his time there so the addition over the septic has to be illegal. Also to hook up to the city sewer they have to come out to do an inspection so you can imagine what they will find. The fact that the owner didn't want any inspection was the final straw. I would have liked to have gotten it but there was too many problems just waiting pop up. Thanks for the advice from all those that posted.
It was heeded

It also looks like he got someone to purchase it without an inspection as the owner has taken down the for sale sign and I was told by the realtor that there was an offer on the table without an inspection when they called me to see if I wanted to make an offer, so they must have accepted that one.
I would say either a contractor or flipper bought the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate