Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:29 AM

550 posts, read 368,767 times

Advertisements

I know federal law doesn't allow HOAs to ban all rentals but can they limit the total to something like
25 percent? This is Texas.

Our patio home community is beginning to make me nervous with all the homes that becoming rentals.

Tenants are fine. The investors buying these homes, however, are doing the cheapest, least amount of maintenance and waiting until the HOA threatens fines until they do something.

If you don't live in an expensive community where home prices are too high to attract investors and flippers, you are at risk to losing home values through no fault of your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 11:30 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Yes HOA's can limit the number of rentals.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
You need to read your Rules and Restrictions. And yes, the number of rentals can be limited.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:05 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Yes they can ban all rentals. Mine does.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:16 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
> I know federal law doesn't allow HOAs to ban all rentals

Are you sure? Where do you see this?

Old 01-15-2017, 01:27 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
Yes. I know of at least one townhome community in my market that will not allow more than 25% of units to be rented & there is a former waiting list procedure for new rental units.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
My rental properties are limited to two persons per bedroom. i.e. 2 x # bedrooms

I agree that when the number of rentals in the HOA rises above some level it would make me nervous because of too many residents without any real stake in the community. However HOAs enforce bylaws against the most egregious behaviors. Police can also be involved (violation of noise laws).

Old 01-15-2017, 04:02 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I lived in an HOA years ago that limited units available for rental at 25%. The quality of life in that complex was quite good, compared to another one that I lived in that did not limit the number of units available for rental purposes.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I'm wondering now how the HOA even knows what percentage of the houses are rentals. I don't recall ever being told I have to inform the HOA my houses are rentals. I am required to register them as rental property with the county and that is a matter of public record. (And serious fines if you rent without registering with the county.)

On occasion I've been on the phone with the HOA and mentioned owning multiple properties when I was discussing one property and got no reaction from them.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:09 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
I know federal law doesn't allow HOAs to ban all rentals but can they limit the total to something like
25 percent? This is Texas.

Our patio home community is beginning to make me nervous with all the homes that becoming rentals.

Tenants are fine. The investors buying these homes, however, are doing the cheapest, least amount of maintenance and waiting until the HOA threatens fines until they do something.

If you don't live in an expensive community where home prices are too high to attract investors and flippers, you are at risk to losing home values through no fault of your own.

Absolutely. And, frankly, they should.

Many lenders will not lend in a development where there is a high percentage of renters, with the logic that the properties may not hold their value as well as if owner-occupants were living there. FHA generally will not loan in condominiums with more than 50% rentals (there are some exceptions). Many HOAs are more aggressive and say no more than 20% should be rented, or specify that the owners must live in the property for "x" number of years before being allowed to rent. Tenants tend to break the HOA rules more, tend to neglect maintenance, and normally aren't interested in anything that has to do with maintaining the value of a property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate