Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 PM

119 posts, read 263,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Where do you live that property tax would triple as a rental? Around here, the increase would be relatively small with the loss of an owner-occupied credit. I also doubt that insurance would double or triple - you should check with local insurance agents, as well as your local tax assessor.
I'm not sure about insurance, but I assume it would be higher since it's being rented out. For taxes, it's so much more as a rental here in Lexington County and Richland County in Columbia, South Carolina. For $85,000 home in Lexington County, owner occupied tax is $457.09. As a rental, it is $2,092.37!!!!
For Richland County, owner occupied is $652.76, and rental is $2,295.79!!!!

I was wrong on my math, as a rental, taxes are 3 to over 4 times more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:06 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummbull View Post
... For taxes, it's so much more as a rental here in Lexington County and Richland County in Columbia, South Carolina. For $85,000 home in Lexington County, owner occupied tax is $457.09. As a rental, it is $2,092.37!!!!
For Richland County, owner occupied is $652.76, and rental is $2,295.79!!!!

I was wrong on my math, as a rental, taxes are 3 to over 4 times more.
Wow, that is a steep increase!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Where do you live that property tax would triple as a rental? Around here, the increase would be relatively small with the loss of an owner-occupied credit. I also doubt that insurance would double or triple - you should check with local insurance agents, as well as your local tax assessor.
Not to sure about triple... I do know Hawaii taxes rentals at a much higher rate...

Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not to sure about triple... I do know Hawaii taxes rentals at a much higher rate...
It does seem to vary a great deal by state.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is a steep increase!
Being a "Business Use" opens the doors to significant taxation and fees in many jurisdictions.

My city imposes a gross receipts tax that typically runs hundreds of dollars for a single rental....

You could be loosing money left and right and the ship sinking... the city gets it's cut of every dollar collected and not profit...

The industry has changed so much in my short tenure...

The one thing to remember... being a Landlord is a business with all that this entails...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
I have a buddy that owns a 4-plex and 3 rental condos. He put 20% down on all of them and utilized 7 yr ARM IO's to leverage himself, and is cash flow positive (net after maintenance and management) about $1000-$1200 on all of them combined.
Is your buddy's property in Las Vegas? If so, this is very much believable. Vegas is one of the few cities where where you can buy newer homes that can be positive cash flow immediately. I have several family members that are in that situation now.

We purchased our home last year in Vegas. We have no no desire to rent it out but if we had to, we would definitely be able to rent it out for a couple hundred more than what our mortgage and taxes currently are.

Our mortgage is $850, 2 families on our street rent is $1350 and $1400 a month. Our home is slightly bigger than one of the houses and the exact same size as the other. $1300-$1450 is about the average in my neighborhood for a rental.

NJ on the other hand I don't think is possible.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:08 PM

It can still be done finding the mix of factors...

6 months ago one of the investors I know bought a foreclosed home for 87k in East Oakland... he spruced it up... paint, carpet, kitchen/bath vinyl, replaced the broken window panes and removed a dumpsters worth of trash...

The home is now rented through Section 8 Voucher for $1500...

Their are always opportunities... in this case, the home looked bad with trash and about a dozen broken windows...

He is into it about 6 times the gross rent...

Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 AM

307 posts, read 631,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummbull View Post
I'm not sure about insurance, but I assume it would be higher since it's being rented out.
My insurance costs went down by about 30% when I converted my residence into a rental. It is cheaper because homeowners insurance covers the property and the contents while landlords insurance covers only the structure and not the contents. I increased the liability coverage and the cost still went down.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It can still be done finding the mix of factors...

6 months ago one of the investors I know bought a foreclosed home for 87k in East Oakland... he spruced it up... paint, carpet, kitchen/bath vinyl, replaced the broken window panes and removed a dumpsters worth of trash...

The home is now rented through Section 8 Voucher for $1500...

Their are always opportunities... in this case, the home looked bad with trash and about a dozen broken windows...

He is into it about 6 times the gross rent...
In my world that house for 87k is a dog if you can only rent it for 1500 I would not even look at it unless it rented for 2% so 1750 that house is only worth 75k so in my part of the world he over paid 12k plus cleaning and closeing cost.
If you follow the 2% rule you will cash flow

Old 01-31-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
In my world that house for 87k is a dog if you can only rent it for 1500 I would not even look at it unless it rented for 2% so 1750 that house is only worth 75k so in my part of the world he over paid 12k plus cleaning and closeing cost.
If you follow the 2% rule you will cash flow
I guess the majority of real estate I've owned would be considered dogs..

My goal was to buy one rental every year or so and was quite pleased to have a break-even after factoring in all costs... including a maintenance allowance, vacancy factor and return on cash on cash...

This "Conservative" approach has served me well and all but the last purchase are worth well more than what I have in them...

Not the easiest task when I'm located in one of the highest priced Real Estate markets in the United States...

Of course... I have colleagues that won't look at anything without a resident manager and with larger properties... it is much easier to make the numbers work...

Are any of your holdings in the San Francisco Bay Area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate