Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 11:26 AM

196 posts, read 649,154 times

Advertisements

I am new to investment properities and looking to get in the door

I found some good 3 family homes that I would get between 500-800 a month more then what I have to pay in Taxes,Ins, and Mortgage.

Is this enough of a positive cash flow to purchase a rental property or will I end up losing money on repairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 18,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post

I found some good 3 family homes that I would get between 500-800 a month more then what I have to pay in Taxes,Ins, and Mortgage.

Is this enough of a positive cash flow to purchase a rental property or will I end up losing money on repairs?
I think it is one of the best times to find good deals.
1. Don't forget to factor in the cost of repainting & minor fixup & labor cost every two years.
2. add in HOA or condo,etc fees.
3.cost of reg manintance supplys & labor, that cost will depend on how old things are with house & if you have a picky or kinda lazy teant, & have to send people out to do small easzy things, it can add up.

4. You haft to factor in the vacancy rate of your area.( 5% ?, 12% ?
5. also unpaid rents.
6. Mgment fees, regardless whether you do mgment yourself or not, no one works for free, why should you. ( mgment fees reg around 8-12 %) of gross rents.

Depending on the investment & your own cash flow, it still my be a great investment with no cash flow, because of other factors.
Also it my be a verry poor investment, even with great cash flow for now, do your homework for that area & proprity.
I've been investing for years & love it.
let me know if I can help, if you need more info.

Wayne G.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:55 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,444,869 times
Depends on the condition of the property - get an inspection. Plan on 10% of the property value in repairs a year. Some years more than others.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 18,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Depends on the condition of the property - get an inspection. Plan on 10% of the property value in repairs a year. Some years more than others.

Yes, Inspections can be well worth the money, I always like to learn something new, but I'm lost with your 10% of the propertys value in repairs a year. That would mean that a 50,000 house/condo,etc , 10% of that would be 5,000. that is high for labor & supplys for repairs EVERY YEAR, its possable depending on what you buy.
But for a small sfh in the city where I live ( Falls Church,Va) Its value is over 300,000. that would make 10% be 30,000 in repair cost, no way.
I spend about, less than 1,000 - 2,500 a year( per house) on repairs, but I save a lot by doing work myself & with labor worker, on my small rental houses.
I'ts allways better to plan on spending more, than less.
Please let me know what area & house prices, that rule applys? I'm not saying your worng, just wanted to know how your numbers work.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post

Out here we have a 6-8% vacancy rate and most investors out here save 1-2% of the value of the home every year for repairs. I suggest putting that into a savings account so that if the furnace and roof need to be replaced in the same year you have the money there.

My personal pet peeve as a real estate agent is seeing poorly maintained rental homes. They kill the rest of the homes around them. I always feel bad for the homeowners. Please don't do that to the homeowners around your rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate