Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 04:58 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

Neighbors vacant 50 acre tract is up for sale. It is raw land. I own an adjoining parcel that is 15 acres having a 1500 gallon septic system, a great well and electric run the 300 feet to the road. There is a very small old house situated on ideal building lot which could be removed easily. Building on the old house site would save the new owners close to 10,000 in expenses.

The question is should I approach the agent and inform her it is available? I suspect some buyers might balk at having a neighbor so close when buying a "secluded rural property". I have been thinking about moving for a while and this might be the time. Would she expect a commission if the buyer decided to buy my place as well? I wouldn't expect her to do any work; I will handle it. Maybe she gets a "finders fee"?

Asking prices have been really "aspirational" around here lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,526 times
Why not? But I disagree with you not offering the agent a commission, and I have done a FSBO before. You are asking the agent TO DO WORK by convincing a buyer to buy your place. Why would not expect to pay a commission? Put your price on it and let the agent put their commission on top of that...and unless you deal a lot w/ buying and selling, probably best to let a professional handle it.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:07 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
If you ask an agent to help sell your land, you should expect to pay a commission--whatever negotiated amount that may be. Otherwise, put up a for-sale sign and try to sell it yourself.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Stick a large, For Sale by Owner with your contact info up right near the road to the neighbors house. You'll get some interest for sure.

I think the real estate person will also get asked by potential buyers about your property.

This way you do not have to technically commit to this sales person, at least not until you may want to.

That is how I sold my first home. I had no clue, it was well before FSBO even became known....I was in trouble, lost my job, and was desperate to sell. I walked out one day, put a For Sale sign on my front walk.....done deal in couple days.

A couple years later, my now husband was trying to sell his home in S.D. He had hired a real estate office, in the 6 mths they had scheduled one open house. There were not any lookers.

The contract ended. We were deciding whether to FSBO, like I had done.

The house next door was for sale. A lady walked over to chat with my hubby while he was on the ladder painting. She was the Mom of the potential house buyer, who was being shown the house next door. She came out for a smoke....and began chatting with my husband about the potential move, and my hubby mentioned we were also going to be relocating. She asked about his house.

After her daughter finished looking at the house next door....They came right over, looked at our/his house....and over the next couple of hours my husband and the buyer sent digital pics of the house to the husband and worked out the price etc. They agreed to the full asking price. House essentially sold the same afternoon. Money changed hands the next Mon.

Needless to say the real estate folks were p.o.'d big time lol. But, there was poetic justice in the fact this was the same real estate company that had foot dragged his house for 6mths.

Go for it! Meanwhile you have this whole forum to research the ins and outs of selling yourself....It really is easy imo.

Last edited by JanND; 01-23-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 01-24-2017, 11:07 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The agent has no interest in your property, OP, unless you are actually going to list the property with her. She isn't going to tell her buyers that yours is for sale unless you list it with her.

Put a FSBO sign on your property, so that anyone who comes to look next door can see it.

I'm suspecting that anyone buying 50 acre isn't going to feel the need of buying an additional 15 acres just to have a place to put a house. They can save $10,000 in developments costs by building on yours, but what do they have to pay to purchase yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate