Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times

Advertisements

My FIL recently passed away and he was a hoarder. Not to the extent of you can't walk around but so much stuff/junk, all junk.

The home is under both my husband's name and FIL's name and will go through probate.

Home needs a lot of work - floors, kitchen, baths, new roof, windows, front door, painting, everything pretty much.

In order to go through the stuff and make sure we do not miss anything of value (we were never allowed to touch anything of my MIL's after her death), it will take a long time and we have about 120 days in order to get the house ready for rental.

We have discovered that my FIL sometimes cashed a check multiple times. We have not yet been able to find the missing money but we are going to need this due to the renovations.

Two questions:

(1) Anyone use a money detection device and if so, which one would you recommend?

(2) Anyone have experience with 1-800-GOT JUNK?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 03:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
In order to go through the stuff and make sure we do not miss anything of value
will take a long time and we have about 120 days in order to get the house ready for rental.
If that 120 days isn't enough... take a bit more time.

Just go about it all in an orderly manner... one room at a time.
Put one of those debris bins in the front yard.

As you get done... HIRE the help needed for the deep clean/paint each room will need.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

We have discovered that my FIL sometimes cashed a check multiple times. We have not yet been able to find the missing money but we are going to need this due to the renovations.
Not sure what you mean? How do you cash the same check multiple times? How does this result in missing money?

Old 01-28-2017, 09:20 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not sure what you mean? How do you cash the same check multiple times? How does this result in missing money?
That one had me scratching my head too.

It's just not possible to cash a check more than once.

Not sure what a "money detection device" means. A metal detector? OP do you think your FIL buried money in and around the house? If you do, a metal detector will only detect coin. Won't help you for paper bills.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:19 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Sorry......not clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
We found out my FIL was cashing his check (pension) rather than depositing it. We have no idea where the money is but the caregivers told us he would go into the bedroom as soon as he got home and was very secretive about money. (The caregivers would drive him to the bank).

My husband had not yet taken total control of the checkbook at that point but would write out checks each week and his dad would sign them. They would go over all the expenses each week and my husband would balance the checkbook to the statement.

My husband asked his dad numerous times if he was depositing his checks and he was told "yes" - this was an account my husband did not have access to at the time.

Basically, we feel my FIL was upset about the arrival of the caregivers after his sister's death and he thought of this as "his money" - my FIL was so frugal that I can't imagine that he spent every dime of this.

The caregivers feel the money is there somewhere but so far, nothing.

My husband remembers his dad hiding money when he was growing up.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:43 PM

Before you toss any beds, look in the mattresses, boxsprings. Check floorboards, under rugs and carpets. Look for any fireproof boxes. Check pockets of ALL clothing. Look in books, fan them or shake them so pages fan and things can fall out.

Check dressers for hidden drawers or compartments. They can be very hard to find. I gave my mom's bedroom set to my daughter. A few months after she had it, her daughter found a hidden compartment that had some diamonds in there. We had found other hiding spots and thought we had them all. I'm glad we didn't just get rid of that set.

Also, go through all papers and envelopes very carefully. We found hundred dollar bills squirrelled away in an envelope.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:21 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Look in books too. Seat cushions are another favorite.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:36 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
My great aunt kept her daily newspapers stacked up all over the house, as my dad was throwing them into the dumpster bills started falling out, from dollars on up she stashed money in the old papers. We had to go through the house very carefully after that and found money in cereal boxes, behind pictures and inside folded laundry.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:11 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
A friend said her MIL's family was cleaning out a family members house and they found a large sum of money in a shoe box. Which sounds like a normal place to look for money, except the box had a the correct pair of shoes in it and was in the pile to go to Goodwill! Someone just happened to pick it up and pull a shoe out and found the money under the shoes. Needless to say, they double checked everything after that discovery.

Also, I've been helping someone shred old mail for the past few weeks. Because their shredder isn't that good, I tend to rip the letter in half and pull the contents out so that I just shred the personal info inside. Ripped one the other day that actually had money in it - it was 6-7 years old. Thankfully not much. Taped it up and it's good to go. But wish I'd seen the look on my face when it fell out in my lap!

Old 01-29-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
A friend said her MIL's family was cleaning out a family members house and they found a large sum of money in a shoe box. Which sounds like a normal place to look for money, except the box had a the correct pair of shoes in it and was in the pile to go to Goodwill! Someone just happened to pick it up and pull a shoe out and found the money under the shoes. Needless to say, they double checked everything after that discovery.

Also, I've been helping someone shred old mail for the past few weeks. Because their shredder isn't that good, I tend to rip the letter in half and pull the contents out so that I just shred the personal info inside. Ripped one the other day that actually had money in it - it was 6-7 years old. Thankfully not much. Taped it up and it's good to go. But wish I'd seen the look on my face when it fell out in my lap!
Yep! You have to look through Everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate