Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 06:54 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times

Advertisements

Does the realtor have access to your private business that you give to the lender? Besides knowing what you're pre approved for and that you're finally approved, do they get to know anything else unless I tell them?
Do they see my loan docs, do they know my income, where I work, my dti, etc
If I was a stripper and my husband ran XXX sites would they know since the lender does? I'm not btw.
What happens when I close? Will they find out stuff then? I'm moving into a hoa community where the realtor lives and I'm feeling kind of weird about the neighbors knowing my personal information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
No realtors do not have access to any of that information. They will only know what you are approved for if you tell them, otherwise all that information is confidential between you and your lender.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
You are protected by The Privacy Act. The lender cannot share anything that is not public knowledge.

That said, it's important for the lender and Realtor to have a synergy, to work as a team to protect you. I had a buyer that insisted his agent know absolutely nothing about his business. Okay. Done.

Unknown to me, the borrower paid off his credit cards and then borrowed money to replace his cash (despite my email about what not to do). When I found out what had happened, I told him to share this with his Realtor. We were coming up on a no return milestone in the contract. Nope, not sharing and explicitly told me I could not. Loan was later declined, could not get a gift. Reason for decline? Insufficient funds. Listing agent demands denial letter, rightfully so, this home was off the market almost 40 days. It didn't take her long to connect the dots. My initial pre-approval specifically stated "funds for down payment and closing are in place and have been verified." Seller kept his earnest money deposit.

If there is something specific you do not want to share, tell the loan officer. But do realize in order to protect you and your money, your advocates cannot do it with one arm tied behind their backs.

Note:. Bankruptcy and Foreclosure are public record, short sale is not. Ethically, the LO should not share BK or FC with the agent, but no laws were broken. And some cases, I will insist the buyer share circumstances, only because the agent needs to know why we can't close until a certain date.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
As a realtor, I don't need to know any of those details. I don't need to know where you work or what your income is, or what your credit is. That's between you and the lender.

Clarify with your lender that you don't want your details shared. They shouldn't divulge confidential information anyway, but the lender and realtor may have many phone calls about valid business, so it's good to remind them there are some things you don't want shared.

Your realtor, FWIW, should not share with anyone else anything they do happen to learn about your business either. An ethical realtor should protect your confidentiality even after the sale is over.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
You are protected by The Privacy Act. The lender cannot share anything that is not public knowledge.

That said, it's important for the lender and Realtor to have a synergy, to work as a team to protect you. I had a buyer that insisted his agent know absolutely nothing about his business. Okay. Done.

Unknown to me, the borrower paid off his credit cards and then borrowed money to replace his cash (despite my email about what not to do). When I found out what had happened, I told him to share this with his Realtor. We were coming up on a no return milestone in the contract. Nope, not sharing and explicitly told me I could not. Loan was later declined, could not get a gift. Reason for decline? Insufficient funds. Listing agent demands denial letter, rightfully so, this home was off the market almost 40 days. It didn't take her long to connect the dots. My initial pre-approval specifically stated "funds for down payment and closing are in place and have been verified." Seller kept his earnest money deposit.

If there is something specific you do not want to share, tell the loan officer. But do realize in order to protect you and your money, your advocates cannot do it with one arm tied behind their backs.

Note:. Bankruptcy and Foreclosure are public record, short sale is not. Ethically, the LO should not share BK or FC with the agent, but no laws were broken. And some cases, I will insist the buyer share circumstances, only because the agent needs to know why we can't close until a certain date.
I'm not trying to hide anything duplicitous or make the job harder. I'm cool with the realtor and the lender. It's just that the lender did spill some tea during our time together and while it wasn't anything major, I didn't need to know.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:43 AM

23 posts, read 30,338 times
Privacy Act is for that purpose. The lender cannot reveal your information and he should keep the confidential data secure. No worries

Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
The agent doesn't have access to that private information. However, if there is something that could create a challenge through the process you may want to share with the agent if you trust them. If you don't trust the agent you should find another agent unless you aren't the trusting sort and it doesn't matter who you hire.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Your agent needs to know anything that would impact how they would negotiate on your behalf or their ability to protect your earnest money. Legally, they don't get to know any of that, but if you want a smooth transaction and to be protected, they need to know it.

So legally nothing. Practically, things that impact negotiations and the transaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate