Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:46 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
But if the OP has an account worth $200K, I don't think that's the realtor's or anyone else's business involved in the real estate transaction by asking for a bank statement.
This is exactly what my husband and I are wondering about! We're in a "hot" real estate market, and our agent tells us it's customary to submit financial data with an offer. We know what we can afford, but our bank balances may leave an impression that we can afford more than we're offering on a property. We're not trying to snag a deal (sheesh, there is no such thing as a "deal" in our market!); we're trying to not get fleeced and/or go over our personal budget for a home. Seems if we disclose too much financial info, the seller might get dollar signs in their eyes!

We're happy to submit whatever proof of funds is needed after we've reached an agreement on the price. In fact, we'd be happy to submit that info practically instantaneously upon agreement of the price...it's just that doing so beforehand has us wary of this practice.

Unlike the OP, though, we haven't been asked for any financial info before even seeing a house. We would never do that (and, thankfully, it's not necessary in our market).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 04:23 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
As you say -- it depends on the part of the country. But please refrain from calling me a liar because of how it works in my area. Just as my experience may not illustrate your area, your experience does not illustrate my area.
After having lived in different parts of the country, as a home owner, the laws and what is customary for the area can vary greatly. Even different parts of the same state don't do things the same. You'd think after all these years and real estate transactions they would have an industry standard.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:29 PM

390 posts, read 755,887 times
Key word is OFFER....yes, requiring proof of funds would work when you made an offer, but just to see the property? That does not sound good. But again, maybe it's a very expensive home, no open house and different in your area. I personally would never show funds until offer made.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:26 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
When we gave out kids some money for the down payment, we needed to provide the potential lender with a statement that it was not a loan or a second mortgage.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:08 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
We have looked at lots of houses with numerous realtors in many areas over many years. NEVER have either of us been asked this.

Are you looking in Hollywood, NYC, SF?

Old 06-03-2017, 09:13 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We are in our mid fifties and in an extremely hot real estate market coming back from the dead.

We had decided to inquire about a home last year and called the listing agent to make an appointment to see the house.................well this was late Friday afternoon heading into the weekend. She requested a pre qualification letter from a lender. We were told that this is the norm now. This stopped us dead in our tracks!

In all the years we have looked at houses and purchased a few this was the first time we have ever been asked this, hence the info on our ages.

Relating this to a few friends and this is how it works now in our area.

I also work with quite a few much younger people and I would not say that some realtors try to sell them on a much more expensive house, but quite a few of these couples purchase right at the top of their pre qualification amount. Not that there is anything wrong with that!
That's just it--time is of the essence. Any delay--especially needless ones--are not beneficial to a Buyer. Not every real estate opportunity can be carefully planned out. Sometimes the best deals are found at the spur of the moment. As for safety concerns, there are steps that an agent can and should take to minimize those risks. However, the overriding issue is simply to make sure that an offer has a high probability of closing, should it be accepted. If an agent can't structure an offer to allay concerns about a purchaser having adequate funds available, maybe they should find another line of work. Submitting "proof of funds" is not the only way to do it.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:33 PM

600 posts, read 567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I had mentioned to a realtor that I may be paying in cash if I liked the property. I've seen the outside and pictures inside and know the area of its location. The realtor asked me to take a picture of funds showing I have it. He said this is standard protocol. Is this true or is this guy bluffing and or lazy to show me the inside first before I show him the money? The house is listed for around $30K. I had asked if I could get it lower and he said sometimes it's possible if it's bank owned or short sale, etc.
Most would want to see a bank statement. Taking a photo of your cash from under the bed would be a huge red flag.

Unless it's a "open house" than everyone is welcomed.

But for a realtor to go out of their way to show you a house, yeah, they want to see proof of funds. It's not like they want to just waste their time showing you the house. I'm sure they deal with hundreds of unqualified individuals wanting to see a house w/o having the means to buy it.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Realtors are getting lazy.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:33 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When I am selling, it is extremely irritating to me when agents don't do anything to learn whether or not their clients can actually buy a house. The world is full of lookie-loos who love to go around and look at houses and pretend that can buy, when they can't.

I don't appreciate cleaning the house and getting myself and the dogs out of the house for 2 hours just so they can entertain themselves on the weekend.

It' even more irritating when the lookie-loos do something to damage the house, which has happened several times. I can only assume while the agent looks the other way.
I don't know of anyone who wants to spend time looking at strangers' homes unless they are actually interested in buying. Most people's homes are not very exciting and they're not out of Architectural Digest.
House-hunting is not fun. It's grueling.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:41 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
I don't feel I should have to prove financial worth with a prequalification letter, but this is the new norm so I am going to have to play the game.

This is what happens in a hot market.......we now have more buyers than we have sellers, and more renters than properties listed for rent. The tables have turned and the housing boom and bust that I thought would never repeat itself is proving a lot of us wrong.

I for one can no longer afford to live in the area I am currently living in if I had to start fresh.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 06-04-2017 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate