Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,306 times

Advertisements

CarnivalGal - yes, your point is valid. Periodic price comparisons are definitely worth doing. I'm moving in a couple months and will do that when I have to change everything.

"I had never even heard of Amica before. They made the switch absolutely painless (homeowners and auto) and were much, much cheaper for the same coverage (literally half the price on our auto insurance for the same coverage)."

Fwiw, it's in their utmost interest to make a switch painless, they will bid cheaper to get the biz in the door, as you stated. And how they handle claims? Well, you can't really know until it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
CarnivalGal - yes, your point is valid. Periodic price comparisons are definitely worth doing. I'm moving in a couple months and will do that when I have to change everything.

"I had never even heard of Amica before. They made the switch absolutely painless (homeowners and auto) and were much, much cheaper for the same coverage (literally half the price on our auto insurance for the same coverage)."

Fwiw, it's in their utmost interest to make a switch painless, they will bid cheaper to get the biz in the door, as you stated. And how they handle claims? Well, you can't really know until it happens.
True, but my SIL does nothing but deal with insurance companies and claims all day. She's probably dealt with thousands of them during her 16 years in insurance law. So I'm going to assume she knows more about which companies are best about handling claims than most.

And I would assume that most companies probably make it easy to switch. But since our homeowners is escrowed, we do automatic payments, etc. I thought it would be more of a hassle. They really took care of everything. I was impressed.

I will say that we live in an area hit hard by wildfires a few years ago. Sadly, lots of neighbors and friends lost their homes or at least had damage. Of all of our friends affected, those with USAA seemed to fare best. USAA reps were literally here the next day and were writing checks on the spot to cover immediate expenses (housing, clothes, food, etc.). They were the only insurance company that did that. I didn't know anyone with Amica at the time, so I can't say how they handled claims. As I mentioned, we are eligible for USAA, but their premiums were pretty high. That seems to vary depending on where you live. I have friends in other states with USAA, and their premiums were lower than other companies. They were, by far, the highest quote for us.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
We've had Amica for years and have always been happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate