Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 03:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Totally depends on the area. Also if you're replacing something old like shag carpet or avocado appliances, you'll get some of that money back and sell faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Totally depends on the area. Also if you're replacing something old like shag carpet or avocado appliances, you'll get some of that money back and sell faster.
Avocado appliances ... were they before or after harvest gold ...

Old 06-25-2017, 07:57 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Houses from the NINETIES need UPDATING? Sheesh!

You sound like my husband ... But he's good at watching the budget

It's sickening, to think that things are so impermanent. Then again, I suppose that a combination of bad design, faddish choices, and low quality, are behind the need to constantly "update".
Perhaps ... perhaps not. We like updated; it's kinda the way it has become (new norm) in the USA with a large middle class ('nough said before I get kicked off to the political forum. And funny, cause I'm soooo not political).

You are not wrong, GrandviewGloiria, just not on the winning side. Many quality built, tasteful homes from the nineties, need updaitng.
Oh, did I say "need"?

Old 06-25-2017, 09:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Avocado appliances ... were they before or after harvest gold ...
Before. They were common in the late 60's into the early 70's. Occasionally, I'll still see the hideous things in a house built at that time and the original owner just passed or is moving. No idea why anyone would want avocado, harvest gold, etc for appliances. I like my neutrals!

Old 06-25-2017, 10:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Honestly, I'd almost consider buying a new appliance in harvest gold or avocado if it was built to last for 50+ years, lol.

The appliances in my house are bisque. While I don't like the color, I can live with it. I do get distracted by new refrigerators every time I go into a store that sells appliances. But it isn't due to color. I miss having french doors. The whole traditional style is what drives me crazy. I am waiting though. I have to pay off my 0% financing on my washer and dryer first, since they actually broke and had to be replaced. Dishwasher is next (don't have one in my new house ) After all that, I can give into my desire for a new refrigerator.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:19 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
I think a lot of the decorating depends on the region. We don't really care much about 'updated' houses around here. Any house in any condition will sell if it's priced properly. As to if you're gonna get your money back, it depends on what the fix up is and how much it cost.

We've got a 1910 house, let's be polite and call it 'rustic'. We don't even have it listed on the MLS, just mentioned we were thinking of selling it and have two offers. They're both pretty close to what the Realtor suggested we list it for although he'd wanted a whole pile of repairs first.

So, I'd think it all depends on the specific house and region.

I'm really bored with stainless steel appliances. Bisque isn't much better. We bought white for the refrigerator we got several years ago, I won't have black or SS because of fingerprints all over. I'd kinda like a chocolate colored stove. Those came out at the same time as the harvest gold and avocado green ones. It be even better to get a matching refrigerator, too.

Oh, yeah, and those matching pink, blue or aqua colored bathroom sets. Sink, toilet and tub all in matching colors. I think the green or blue would be nice, but the pink could be fun. Neutral colors are just soul-less, IMHO but YMMV.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:33 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,831 times
I think decorating and staging both make a difference in how fast your house will sell, and often in how much you can ask for it. Of course, I was an interior designer and also did kitchen and bath design, so guess I am somewhat biased......I have helped a number of friends ready their houses for market. One couple had theirs listed for months, but it sold pretty quickly after good staging and some good decorating. People come in and are impressed---not thinking sometimes that it's the furniture and accessories that are causing the "glow" and that it just won't look the same with their own stuff. They remember (after looking at 20 houses) the one that was really attractive. Yes, more savvy home buyers check mechanicals, location, schools, etc....but a good first impression can be priceless. (After decorating, I even made a profit on 2 different single wide mobile homes we owned, which are notorious for losing value).

Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
I've spent the past year really thinking about this very question. We're both buying and selling, so we've been paying close attention to the listings in two different towns.

Of course, a lot of this may be different depending on what city you're in. But, FWIW, here are some things I've noticed:

1. I've seen plenty of places with dated finishes sell in a few days, and plenty of places with lots of updates sit around for months. My conclusion is buyers may start off wishing for the latest trends, but as their search progresses they decide other factors are more important. Once you you start getting used to the idea that you'll sacrifice a few wish list items, the desire to have the latest finishes is often the thing that gets sacrificed.

2. Having said that, if there are two houses that are more or less equal in the same neighborhood, the one with the updates will sell first.

3. If a house hasn't sold after a few months, it seems to help to take it off a market and do the updates. Although that didn't help the house that I ended up buying. Really wish they hadn't painted it trendy grey, we're going to paint it again because I happen to like the dated beige.

4. Price and location trump everything else. As long as the house is in good repair, is clean, and isn't too wildly out of date, the house with the lower price sells before the house with all the latest finishes.

My conclusion: So I think the best bet is to add up the cost of updating and take that cost off the price of your house.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I think a lot of the decorating depends on the region. We don't really care much about 'updated' houses around here. Any house in any condition will sell if it's priced properly. As to if you're gonna get your money back, it depends on what the fix up is and how much it cost.

We've got a 1910 house, let's be polite and call it 'rustic'. We don't even have it listed on the MLS, just mentioned we were thinking of selling it and have two offers. They're both pretty close to what the Realtor suggested we list it for although he'd wanted a whole pile of repairs first.

So, I'd think it all depends on the specific house and region.

I'm really bored with stainless steel appliances. Bisque isn't much better. We bought white for the refrigerator we got several years ago, I won't have black or SS because of fingerprints all over. I'd kinda like a chocolate colored stove. Those came out at the same time as the harvest gold and avocado green ones. It be even better to get a matching refrigerator, too.

Oh, yeah, and those matching pink, blue or aqua colored bathroom sets. Sink, toilet and tub all in matching colors. I think the green or blue would be nice, but the pink could be fun. Neutral colors are just soul-less, IMHO but YMMV.
Ah....the chocolate brown was called coppertone. My parents had that. Darker brown around the edges and ombre'd to the center to the lighter brown. But it wasn't dramatic...just a couple of tones.

It was pretty, yes, but dark. That's my thing with stainless...it's too dark. I like a bright and happy kitchen. So white for me.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:04 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
My conclusion: So I think the best bet is to add up the cost of updating and take that cost off the price of your house.
Yes! This is what some sellers don't do. They aren't honest with themselves. They use comps that have updates and don't appropriately discount.

Around here, people can get back more than what they put into some updates. Buyers are clamoring for updated houses. People would prefer to move into something that is updated and roll that cost into their mortgages from the start and not have to live through the pain of doing the update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate