Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:00 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times

Advertisements

We are closing on an urban house in mid July. One of the reasons we were interested in this property was that the neighboring house was also for sale and went under contract while we were looking. We loved the property but own another nearby and one set of neighbors have a reputation for being extremely nosy and invasive. An older couple, they constantly call the police in a very low crime area, complain about young kids playing like normal young kids, and have even been known to trespass on other's property to see if they are out of town. The excuse is that this is a rather well-to-do area and they think they are "keeping out riff raff" but in reality the whole street was celebrating when that "sold" sign went up. We toured their place when it was for sale and were told they were moving to a "one level" in a suburban community.

They closed over a week ago according to Zillow/Redfin and I drove by our property yesterday. ALL of their porch and yard stuff is still there. They clearly have not moved. As I was sitting in my car at the end of the street the woman came out of the house to water the plants. They have A LOT of stuff on the outside of their house- planters, stained glass ornaments, etc. None of it has budged.

This concerns me. Their house is packed with furniture and doodads so it might take a while to move, and they are older, so I am sure they have professional help with this, but I don't want to move into my place until they are well gone. Clearly they have some sort of leased arrangement until they can leave. Any suggestions on how I might find out when they might be going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 06:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
As I was sitting in my car at the end of the street the woman came out of the house to water the plants.
Any suggestions on how I might find out when they might be going?
Stop stalking them.

Knock on the door. Say hello. Chat.
Bring a nice coffee cake with you.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Knock on the door. Say hello. Chat.
Bring a nice coffee cake with you.
Hah! If I did that, they would call the police for setting foot on their property.

These are the kind of people who posted a sign that kids were not welcome at their open house and tried to have someone arrested when they said that some of their china went missing afterwards.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:29 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Since you're not moving into their house I don't see where their schedule impacts you. Unless you're planning on going into their yard or something.

Christ I hope they're not moving down here. We don't need another rural pioneer who'll call the Sheriff because someone has a blue car (because everyone knows drug dealers drive blue cars. True story).

Old 06-29-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since you're not moving into their house I don't see where their schedule impacts you. Unless you're planning on going into their yard or something.

Christ I hope they're not moving down here. We don't need another rural pioneer who'll call the Sheriff because someone has a blue car (because everyone knows drug dealers drive blue cars. True story).
We were planning on doing some work on the house before fully moving in. I know that this will be grounds for many many calls to the city and police as there will undoubtedly be noise, and they will make a fuss about permits just to get the work to stop. They did this to another neighbor. That is why it impacts me.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:32 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Maybe after a point you could accuse her of harassment. Surely the police are aware of her numerous calls to them as well.

How about if you held that nice coffee cake in front of you so she'd see you bring her that yummy thing.

You could ask your realtor what's the gossip about that woman's home sale and move. You could even check the listing yourself online. Maybe it said something like 'owner to convey'...no, seriously, maybe something like 'owner to remain as tenant until dec. 2017' or something.

Also, ask the three dimensional people if they really closed...your realtor. Maybe there was a hitch.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Maybe after a point you could accuse her of harassment. Surely the police are aware of her numerous calls to them as well.

How about if you held that nice coffee cake in front of you so she'd see you bring her that yummy thing.

You could ask your realtor what's the gossip about that woman's home sale and move. You could even check the listing yourself online. Maybe it said something like 'owner to convey'...no, seriously, maybe something like 'owner to remain as tenant until dec. 2017' or something.

Also, ask the three dimensional people if they really closed...your realtor. Maybe there was a hitch.
Oh God, I sure hope not! I just sent her an email. I don't know how much she can find out.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Frankly, it's none of your business. When we sold our last house, the buyer paid cash; and we had a quick close. But they wanted us to do a 90 day lease back. I really have no idea why, but it was fine with us because we still hadn't found a new house it. So we still lived in the house for nearly 3 months after it was sold.

Also, just because the sign outside says "Sold," doesn't really mean that it's Sold. It may just be under contract but not yet closed.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:04 AM

277 posts, read 306,428 times
You can probably call your county assessor and have them pull records on who was selling / who bought the house, when official close date was, etc.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
You can probably call your county assessor and have them pull records on who was selling / who bought the house, when official close date was, etc.
Yeah, I am looking into that. Our realtor has verified that it closed and settled but she has no idea when the occupants are leaving. She is looking into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate