Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:55 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,247,380 times

Advertisements

So a lot of people are answering very generally about what they look for in terms of buying a house, but I thought the first couple of posts in the thread were more explanatory - I am asking specifically what you look at when you are in a house that you are viewing. Not location and price and all that, but physically where do you look? Do you open cabinets, do you run the hot water, do you flush the toilets? What else do you do as you are going through the house (or the yard, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 03:55 PM

182 posts, read 239,822 times
Things I can do online before even wasting anyone's time

Curb appeal and street view then aerial to make sure it doesn't back up to a landfill
Internet service speeds (spouse job depends on it)
Neighbors
Tax history
Crime stats
Yard upkeep
Junk in yard
Kitchen sink must be open to a window or a great room, can't face a wall
Clutter. If the house looks crowded and cluttered I pass it by assuming it's too much trouble for sellers to move out.
Must have garden tub for master..I'm a bubble bath girl.

Natural light and flow of rooms. Love Windows and like a view for morning coffee.
Mechanicals, roofs, AC, Water pressure and hardness

Once inside the "vibe" of the home...how does it feel and can I picture my family there?

pantry, closet size.

neighbors (do they keep their yards nice)

Old 07-08-2017, 04:02 PM

43,353 posts, read 77,229,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So a lot of people are answering very generally about what they look for in terms of buying a house, but I thought the first couple of posts in the thread were more explanatory - I am asking specifically what you look at when you are in a house that you are viewing. Not location and price and all that, but physically where do you look? Do you open cabinets, do you run the hot water, do you flush the toilets? What else do you do as you are going through the house (or the yard, etc)
Well, I don't think of my list as "general."
It is determinate.
I don't open drawers, unless I open one to see if they are dovetailed, if they have good hardware.
I don't flush toilets or open and close doors.
If I like the layout and location and natural light, and floor plan, and it is not near high tension powerlines and the driveway is not a ski slope, that other stuff is minor.
CaligirlinNC's thread where the vandals sacked the place? That is extreme behavior, IMO, and totally unnecessary.

I look at age of water heater and furnaces, but in a home that satisfies my desires in the criteria, that stuff is minor details.
This is the important and most expensive to fix list, if indeed the items are fixable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Location.
Setting and orientation.
Floor plan, room sizes, natural light and flow.
Structure.
General maintenance and care.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:08 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
I have never opened cabinets, run water, flushed toilets (well once I did because I absolutely had to go in the house, it was #1 I promise). I am looking more at general condition, have the owners done anything crazy that I don't like and would cost an arm and a leg to re-do...I am definitely paying attention to things like do the doors close properly, is trim "true", are the doorknobs on securely and things like this. If people have not paid attention to small things then they definitely did not pay attention to large things. Even things like pictures hanging off center make me think about what they may have done in the house that isn't ok.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM

Here's the thing...

Some people lose sight of the fundamentals and go all anal on opening cabinets or looking in closets.

I try to pull them back to reality:
"Tell me about the floor plan.
Are the bedrooms large enough?
Is this a 4 Pizza box kitchen or an 11 pizza box kitchen? Does it work for you?
How about the powder room being in the kitchen?"

If that stuff is broken, why look further?
Find the deal makers and deal breakers first, and then consider the minor details.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM

229 posts, read 241,056 times
Minimum 1 acre, no HOA, no pool.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:20 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,247,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Here's the thing...

Some people lose sight of the fundamentals and go all anal on opening cabinets or looking in closets.

I try to pull them back to reality:
"Tell me about the floor plan.
Are the bedrooms large enough?
Is this a 4 Pizza box kitchen or an 11 pizza box kitchen? Does it work for you?
How about the powder room being in the kitchen?"

If that stuff is broken, why look further?
Find the deal makers and deal breakers first, and then consider the minor details.
Oh, you mean some people lose sight of YOUR fundamentals? Just because some people have things that matter to them that you personally consider minor details doesn't make you right and them wrong.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, you mean some people lose sight of YOUR fundamentals? Just because some people have things that matter to them that you personally consider minor details doesn't make you right and them wrong.
You miss the point entirely.

So we drive up the 45 degree vertigo-inducing nosebleed deal breaker driveway, and people forget that when they get inside.
They decide they need to open the 5th bedroom closet to see if it is large enough.
And, I say, "Remember the driveway?"
"Oh, yeah. Let's go."

That is from personal experience with multiple clients, and an example of an agent doing a good job for clients.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:42 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Quote:
After you've been doing a job - any job - long enough, you learn what matters to which people.

If Mike is lucky enough to get the "I want a flat driveway" people into a house in the first place he probably knows what he's doing. I'd say "keep driving" (so yeah, I guess I should add that the exterior matters to me too).

Old 07-08-2017, 04:52 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,304,844 times
I open cabinets and closets because it will be important if I'm going to be living there. I check out sink space in the bathroom.

After getting burned on a previous house, I go around looking for imperfections in the walls around windows, etc., and check for cracking.

We walk the size of the rooms. I will sit down on the furniture... not that I'm interested in your furniture, but how does the room feel when I do that? Where am I going to put the tv and is there any craziness going on that I should know about.

I look for outlets. I'm not running extension cords everywhere. You better not be either because I will notice.

I walk the yard and peek into the neighbor's yards. I want to make sure the neighbors at least appear to be upstanding people. I'm also checking for drainage.

I will be looking in the dishwasher and under the sink. We've bought two houses with bad dishwashers. I also want to make sure there isn't water leaking.

I look at flooring. If it is a used house, I will probably upgrade to something nicer.

We check to see if we can fit a wood burning stove into the fireplace.

We check quality of construction.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 07-08-2017 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate