Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:34 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That's not actually correct that it's ok that you have to walk through another bedroom to access, at least not where the property OP saw was

What Makes A Bedroom A Legal Bedroom?
What the writer of the piece you link has not done is define "legal." Whose terms is he discussing? Does any government agency actually define these things in terms of verbiage or is he generalizing? He mentions a residential building code but how does that apply to a preexisting house? Is it a requirement of the local MLS or other industry group?

In my book if it's not "legal" it must be "illegal," meaning it is subject to criminal penalties. I would like to see that defined and what the penalties might be. Who is to enforce that which is not legal. What about all those houses in the area that were built prior to built-in closets being commonplace - are they illegal now or must they simply be sold as zero bedroom structures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:10 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
It is all about trust. If there are guidelines, rules, or laws (GRLs) we can have trust that a particular statement is true within a range of values. Since this is important to people, the GRLs should be adequate that we can trust that x-bedrooms means something. When representatives of an industry skirt those GRLs for personal profit it weakens trust. It starts with tweaking a fact (oceanview--if you live next door), or an exaggeration (oceanview--if you are standing on a ladder on your roof top), and eventually becomes a lie (oceanview--if California falls into the ocean). There is a movement in some circles to infer that making money at all (social) costs is expected and imperative. Hopefully each industry can put a stop to this before it gets too out of control.

If the agent does not correct his mistake, the broker should be informed. If the broker condones this, the listing MLS should be informed. That is the chain of representation and responsibility.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:13 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
YOU used the word "recourse". YOU have stated MULTIPLE times here that you own many properties and seem to spend a large amount of your free time looking at real estate. You are not a RE novice. You also stated you were looking at the house next door. It's hard to justify stating that you wasted your time....unless you are on a 24 clock where you can make money every minute of the day (and hey, maybe you can, good for you), the 10 minutes it took to ascertain that this was a waste of your time is, frankly, petty.
Plus, you'd expect someone who has that much expertise in buying investment properties in the DC metro area would know that east coast cities have lots of old properties with tiny and oddly-shaped or subdivided rooms. Consider it part of the charm of living in an older city, especially DC, which may have more than it's share because so many political and government workers keep coming and going, and some will pay big bucks just to have a little subdivided place to sleep.

A tiny room like this might be worth an eyeball roll or two, but not really worth complaining about. I'm not sure I'd call it "recourse", but if things like this have become an aggravation, you might try checking out listing photos before you go see a place. If they don't have listing photos, expect that there is going to be something odd.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 07-13-2017 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 07:42 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What the writer of the piece you link has not done is define "legal." Whose terms is he discussing? Does any government agency actually define these things in terms of verbiage or is he generalizing? He mentions a residential building code but how does that apply to a preexisting house? Is it a requirement of the local MLS or other industry group?

In my book if it's not "legal" it must be "illegal," meaning it is subject to criminal penalties. I would like to see that defined and what the penalties might be. Who is to enforce that which is not legal. What about all those houses in the area that were built prior to built-in closets being commonplace - are they illegal now or must they simply be sold as zero bedroom structures?
Your book needs some work. Laws do not only apply to criminal activity, they apply to a multitude of civil situations as well. Just because someone doesn't end up in jail doesn't mean that laws are not involved.

And yes, regulations (which are a form of law) can certainly say that a bedroom needs to have direct egress and it can't go through another bedroom

Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It is all about trust. If there are guidelines, rules, or laws (GRLs) we can have trust that a particular statement is true within a range of values. Since this is important to people, the GRLs should be adequate that we can trust that x-bedrooms means something. When representatives of an industry skirt those GRLs for personal profit it weakens trust. It starts with tweaking a fact (oceanview--if you live next door), or an exaggeration (oceanview--if you are standing on a ladder on your roof top), and eventually becomes a lie (oceanview--if California falls into the ocean). There is a movement in some circles to infer that making money at all (social) costs is expected and imperative. Hopefully each industry can put a stop to this before it gets too out of control.

If the agent does not correct his mistake, the broker should be informed. If the broker condones this, the listing MLS should be informed. That is the chain of representation and responsibility.
Absolutely. I get really annoyed when people try to mislead me for the sake of a dollar.

As an update, my agent complained to the listing agent's broker today. She had shown the property to another client and warned them about the bedroom being a closet. When touring, she noticed a few more issues that were blatantly misrepresented so she is making a complaint. We will see if it goes anywhere.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:54 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Your book needs some work. Laws do not only apply to criminal activity, they apply to a multitude of civil situations as well. Just because someone doesn't end up in jail doesn't mean that laws are not involved.

And yes, regulations (which are a form of law) can certainly say that a bedroom needs to have direct egress and it can't go through another bedroom
But what "regulations" are you and he pointing to?

Old 07-13-2017, 12:28 PM

95 posts, read 73,591 times
Check this current listing out.

Talk about lying!!

Climb a ladder to the attic first!!

Cannot fully standup in them,
nor do they have closets,
nor are they EVEN TWO SEPARATE ROOMS
No proper doors either

https://www.trulia.com/property/3273...rings-CA-95728

This Listing Agent should be reprimanded. Talk about sneaky. I'd be nervous to use her as a buyer or sellers agent

Last edited by MaxTheDog; 07-13-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 12:33 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheDog View Post
Check this current listing out.

Talk about lying!!

Climb a ladder to the attic first!!

Cannot fully standup in them,
nor do they have closets,
nor are they EVEN TWO SEPARATE ROOMS
No proper doors either

https://www.trulia.com/property/3273...rings-CA-95728

This Listing Agent should be reprimanded. SHe's so sneaky I'd be nervous to use her as a buyer or sellers agent
Holy moly. This one is BAD. What are people thinking?

Old 07-13-2017, 12:37 PM

95 posts, read 73,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Holy moly. This one is BAD. What are people thinking?
Yes, it's nuts. They've really gotten out of control with lying

So frustrating

Last edited by MaxTheDog; 07-13-2017 at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
apples to oranges and grasping at straws.
Ok, True. How bout this one:

I used to rent a 2 bedroom home. The home had a living room in the front of the house. Walk thru the front door and you would get to a small hallway. The door to the left was the dining room, strait ahead was the bathroom, and to the right were two bedrooms. If you entered the dining room there was another door on another wall that would enter the kitchen. The dining room and kitchen were two separate rooms. You could also enter the kitchen from the living room. Entering the kitchen you could walk to the back wall and another door entered a laundry room with a half bath at the end of the laundry room. The home also had a two car garage with an entrance from the laundry room. Hope that is not too confusing.

We used the dining room as a dining room. On that same street the homes were all about the same, built in the late 40's early 50's almost similar. Back then we only had one son. What I wondered was many families had a lot of people and I wondered to myself where everyone slept. Turns out that most people used the dining room as a third bedroom. I did always think it was strange having the entry to the dining room in the same hallway as the bedrooms. Not that it was much of a hallway.

So here is the comparison. People would advertise these 2 bedroom 1 bath homes as 3 bedroom 2 bath homes, or 3 bedroom 1 and a half bath homes. Even though it did have a half bath it was not much of a bath and in basically the garage area. For example the main house had all the rooms, and the garage part had this extra separate room with the laundry and half bath.

My point is that the 3rd bedroom did not have a closet and had two entrances, one of which was into the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate