Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 PM

32 posts, read 121,080 times

Advertisements

I am looking at moving from Australia to the US (Michigan in particular) and was wondering about the different types of land titles there are in the US.

If someone could tell me or point me to a website, that would be great.

In Australia, the two main ones are Torrens (which is the most common, ie Freehold where you own the land) and Strata (which is if you have an apartment and you own your 'space').

Thanks
AB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:37 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,121 times
US Law on land holdings is really derived from the British system. Generally, if you are purchasing a property (house, land) it is Fee Simple (Freehold) as opposed to renting it (Leasehold). Cooperative apartments are part of a corporation, so you get shares in the corporation, the equivalent to your unit. Condominiums are kind of a blend...you get fee simple title to your unit, which includes a share in common areas - Condos do vary by the different associations established. However, each state has very different ways in which title is recorded and when you actually get the deed to the property. I'm not licensed in Michigan, but I'd google either Title Companies in Michigan, or Michigan Law on transfer of real estate.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Bob View Post
I am looking at moving from Australia to the US (Michigan in particular) and was wondering about the different types of land titles there are in the US.

In Australia, the two main ones are Torrens (which is the most common, ie Freehold where you own the land) and Strata (which is if you have an apartment and you own your 'space').

Thanks
AB
One thing is for sure - you NEVER own your property even if it's paid off. Fail to pay the taxes and it's no longer yours.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Bob View Post

Thanks
AB

Mostly they got it...but perhaps a little codification...

Fee Simple. You own the land and building.

Condo. You own the cubic interior generally to the wall or the edge of the studs. You have shared ownership in common property...like the studs, roofs, sidewalks and pools.

Cooperative. You own a share in the owning corporation with a right to reside in a particular unit.

Townhouse. Similar to a condo but you own the land under your dwelling...you may not however own the exterior structure itself which belongs to the association. You own a share of the association.

There are also places where buildings are on long term leaseholds. Rare in the continental US. Used in Hawaii.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:11 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
I'll get a land patent on my land in AK when it's fully paid off. And there aren't any taxes on it...but that's quite rare in the US.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'll get a land patent on my land in AK when it's fully paid off. And there aren't any taxes on it...but that's quite rare in the US.

And easily changed. You can get land in rural Nevada almost that cheap...not quite zero though. However you best be very self sufficient.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And easily changed. You can get land in rural Nevada almost that cheap...not quite zero though. However you best be very self sufficient.
Very unlikely in the foreseeable future where I bought land. The population is declining not growing (because, essentially, there's no jobs), and there would be fierce opposition to implementing taxes from which the bush residents get no benefit, so it becoming organized and then taxing land is unlikely...there's truly not a tax base to even try to do so. Many of the organized areas in the state don't even charge property taxes, and instead choose other means of raising money (sales tax, etc.).

And being self-sufficient is my plan, or else I wouldn't be moving to such a remote place. I picked out land and a spot that's close to perfect for doing so, plenty of trees for heating, water readily available, animals and fish for food, good soil and growing season (for Alaska anyways), no building permits/property taxes (because I actually own the land).

Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Very unlikely in the foreseeable future where I bought land. The population is declining not growing (because, essentially, there's no jobs), and there would be fierce opposition to implementing taxes from which the bush residents get no benefit, so it becoming organized and then taxing land is unlikely...there's truly not a tax base to even try to do so. Many of the organized areas in the state don't even charge property taxes, and instead choose other means of raising money (sales tax, etc.).

And being self-sufficient is my plan, or else I wouldn't be moving to such a remote place. I picked out land and a spot that's close to perfect for doing so, plenty of trees for heating, water readily available, animals and fish for food, good soil and growing season (for Alaska anyways), no building permits/property taxes (because I actually own the land).
You could do just about the same in Esmerelda County NV. And be only a couple of hours from civilzation. You might even be able to get and hold a job.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You could do just about the same in Esmerelda County NV. And be only a couple of hours from civilzation. You might even be able to get and hold a job.
Don't want to be near "civilization," I have no use for the masses of people, foolish laws, taxes, etc. that are found in "civilization." I want to be as independent as possible from the outside world, and I'll likely make enough money beekeeping and fur trapping for what little I won't be able to supply to myself. My preferred lifestyle is not truly possible in the lower 48. Taxes, people (population density) and regulations/restrictions make it so. Oh, I also don't like hot weather, I like forests, rivers/etc., so the North it is for me...

And one thing I forgot to make note of above is the fact that land patents can not be taken away except by eminent domain. The courts have upheld this fact repeatedly.

Brief summary of what land patents are (more detailed legal sources would be advisable to anyone more interested though of course): Land patent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate