Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:45 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times

Advertisements

Our last house showing, a couple mentioned since the upstairs game room was "pre-wired" for surround sound, that would be "too much stuff to possibly get broken". I was like WTF! How is it going to get "broke" if it is all capped off with nothing connected to it?! Whatever....we still sold the house for over list price within 3 weeks of listing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:49 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If you've ever watched HGTV's House Hunters nothing will surprise you anymore. I remember one lady complaining about a shade tree in the backyard because it would attract birds and their singing would disturb her. Then there's the other couple who complained that the neighbors in the 2 story house next door to the 1 story house they were looking at could see into their yard. I'm not sure what they wanted to do in their backyard that required such privacy since there wasn't even a pool back there. Maybe they were planning to sacrifice baby goats and didn't want any eyewitnesses?
IMO, it doesn't matter what's in the back yard. Some people just don't want to have to worry period about neighbors all up in their business when they are sitting on their back porch, or just laying out in the back yard. Some neighbors are just nosey.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 08-10-2017 at 11:49 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
One couple said they checked online, and there was a sex offender 3 blocks away, so they wouldn't buy the house. I looked online and saw sex offenders all over the place. That couple must have had a hard time finding a place.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:02 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
One couple said they checked online, and there was a sex offender 3 blocks away, so they wouldn't buy the house. I looked online and saw sex offenders all over the place. That couple must have had a hard time finding a place.
This is a big one and I have heard it before. Even some of my renters don't want to rent if there is a sex offender anywhere within a one mile radius. Which invariably there is. And here is the thing-- sex offenders, like the rest of us, are typically mobile with access to vehicles. So if one lives 5, 10, 20 or 30 miles away, they can still get to other places with ease.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Have any of you seen a house with two decks and two sets of French doors ? I looked at a house before I chose this one that had one deck off the side of the house and French doors .Then the master bedroom had a deck off of that with French doors also . I thought that odd it was a nice house but I thought about all the work I would have to do once those decks started to have to be redone because you could tell the wood was not top quality nor had the wood been treated or taken care of and some of the nails were starting to come up .I told the real estate agent that and she agreed that it would take some money to get them in good shape again . That was 3 yrs ago and sometimes I drive by it and it is still on the market and the decks are rotting away just like I thought they would . Boy I sure dodged a bullet there . the pictures of the house never showed the decks or I would have never bothered with this house . Too many outlets ? I don't have enough LOL.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
My partner had a client that she was working with who wanted a cottage by the beach. She showed him a few that fit the bill but he turned them down. He then found one on his own and called my partner to arrange a showing. The cottage was perfect but... too far from the beach...... ahhh you knew that before you went to look at it. Ohh well.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:33 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
When my husband and I sold a 1000sqft 1953 rancher starter-type home, a few of the commenters said it was "too small". It was 1000sqft! lol Funny thing is that it had a different sort of layout than the other 1000sqft houses we had looked at when we bought, and it was much more open than any other we had looked at - very good use of the smaller space. Plus we had finished the detached 300sqft garage into a heated rec room.

Also loved the "no separate laundry room". It was a 3bed/1.5bath tucked into that 1000sqft, in a neighbourhood where very few houses had more than one bath. Where was a separate laundry room supposed to fit?? The washer and dryer were stacked in the back mudroom/powder room area.

Our very experienced realtor had a reasonable enough explanation - most of the people looking at our house were probably first time buyers, and had seen bigger places they wanted but couldn't afford. The buyer ended up being an older single guy.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Have any of you seen a house with two decks and two sets of French doors ? I looked at a house before I chose this one that had one deck off the side of the house and French doors .Then the master bedroom had a deck off of that with French doors also . I thought that odd it was a nice house but I thought about all the work I would have to do once those decks started to have to be redone because you could tell the wood was not top quality nor had the wood been treated or taken care of and some of the nails were starting to come up .I told the real estate agent that and she agreed that it would take some money to get them in good shape again . That was 3 yrs ago and sometimes I drive by it and it is still on the market and the decks are rotting away just like I thought they would . Boy I sure dodged a bullet there . the pictures of the house never showed the decks or I would have never bothered with this house . Too many outlets ? I don't have enough LOL.
My current house (which is for sale) has 2 decks and two french doors. One deck leads off the living room into the back yard and the other leads off the kitchen to the side yard where the previous owner had an above ground pool. It is kind of odd. but we do use both decks at different times of the day as the sun angles change.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Weirdest Comment/feedback I have received was actually from MY own realtor who said I needed to stage our deck better to make it look like we use it.....

I will let the picture speak for itself
Attached Thumbnails
Weirdest feedback after a showing?-img_20170806_184136573-large-.jpg  

Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
We had a person say they only wanted one story. Another said they have small kids and didn't want a pool. Now why on earth did they make the appointment to see our home? These showings were both booked a couple days in advance. Lazy Realtor? Didn't look at online pictures? Our yard and pool both showcased,as was the back of the house. Our foyer and staircase featured as well.
Very frustrating to fuss for a showing and it's a total waste of time. Glad it's all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate