Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:33 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times

Advertisements

This afternoon, we decided to have a drive around to look at some neighborhoods that had houses up for sale. While we don't plan on seriously house hunting until next Spring, we are just trying to pinpoint the neighborhoods we like that are within our budget to hopefully make it easier when the time comes.

Anyway, we drive into a neighborhood where houses have been recently listed in our price range and absolutely fall in love with it. Huge lots (3+/- acres) and some very grand homes alongside some more modest ones, but all very well maintained and attractive.

Hubby, the kids and I are all thinking yes! Hopefully something will turn up in this subdivision next year! If not we will wait!

As we are turning in a cul de sac to head back out of the subdivision, a man in his yard waves to us and comes over. DH puts his window down and assumed the man thought we were just lost or something. The man is holding a 1990s style camcorder at his side.

Instead, this man (in truth it's sad, I think he may have been mentally ill) starts rambling about all of the people in the neighbourhood having restraining orders out on him, and they're policing him because he shot the neighbors dog and now his neighbors are 'hunting' him, and he's got court tomorrow for 9 charges that his neighbours have brought against him and he doesn't want to go to jail, etc etc etc. I honestly couldn't make sense of 80% of it.

After some time of ramble my husband made his excuses and we left, and noticed that the man was recording us leave with the old camcorder.

It entirely put my husband off the subdivision! In truth, as much as I feel sorry for the guy (because he clearly needs help), I don't think I'd want to be his neighbor either!

Have you ever had an experience where potential neighbors have put you off a neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 05:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
there are probably crazy people in every neighborhood. I guess it depends on whether you find out before you buy or after you move in. And the level of crazy - just nosy and loud, or truly mentally-disturbed.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:48 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Maybe that's his strategy for keeping anyone from buying the neighbor house.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:03 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Not sure of the disposition of this case, but we were advised in re school (in Arizona) to disclose the crazy neighbors next door..

Hot Potato | Phoenix New Times

Old 09-17-2017, 06:22 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Yes it can happen in any neighborhood. I live in a gated seaside community, mansions, pools, etc. The next door neighbor murdered another neighbor with a shotgun 18 months ago and spent 48 hours in jail. He's still living there. Oh goody.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 09-17-2017 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 06:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,018,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Not sure of the disposition of this case, but we were advised in re school (in Arizona) to disclose the crazy neighbors next door..

Hot Potato | Phoenix New Times
That sucks, I can't find anything on the disposition of this lawsuit, and it's been 10 years since it was filed.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
1) You can't control your neighbors, ever.
2) The neighbors who live there when you move in may move out at anytime.
3) Replacement neighbors may be worse that original neighbors.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:19 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
The above is true, seems like there's one on every street... and sometimes you never know who the nutty neighbor is til after you move in... but I would say a man with a video camera, who may or may not have active restraining orders against him, who is ranting at passers-by in the street.... is presenting some pretty strong evidence.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:33 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
The obvious nuts are easy to avoid and deal with. Especial when the entire neighborhood is on the same side.

The real problems are those that aren't so easy to see.

Every neighborhood has an idiot, jerk or ignoramus.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
This afternoon, we decided to have a drive around to look at some neighborhoods that had houses up for sale. While we don't plan on seriously house hunting until next Spring, we are just trying to pinpoint the neighborhoods we like that are within our budget to hopefully make it easier when the time comes.

Anyway, we drive into a neighborhood where houses have been recently listed in our price range and absolutely fall in love with it. Huge lots (3+/- acres) and some very grand homes alongside some more modest ones, but all very well maintained and attractive.

Hubby, the kids and I are all thinking yes! Hopefully something will turn up in this subdivision next year! If not we will wait!

As we are turning in a cul de sac to head back out of the subdivision, a man in his yard waves to us and comes over. DH puts his window down and assumed the man thought we were just lost or something. The man is holding a 1990s style camcorder at his side.

Instead, this man (in truth it's sad, I think he may have been mentally ill) starts rambling about all of the people in the neighbourhood having restraining orders out on him, and they're policing him because he shot the neighbors dog and now his neighbors are 'hunting' him, and he's got court tomorrow for 9 charges that his neighbours have brought against him and he doesn't want to go to jail, etc etc etc. I honestly couldn't make sense of 80% of it.

After some time of ramble my husband made his excuses and we left, and noticed that the man was recording us leave with the old camcorder.

It entirely put my husband off the subdivision! In truth, as much as I feel sorry for the guy (because he clearly needs help), I don't think I'd want to be his neighbor either!

Have you ever had an experience where potential neighbors have put you off a neighborhood?
This is sooo true. The thing to look for is a neighborhood where the homes are not that close to one another. That will be my priority when finding my next home. At least 30 - 50 feet away from the next house on either side of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate