Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 11:23 AM

418 posts, read 367,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Why didn't you tour the house a month or two ago before it was sold the last time?
Didn't happen to come across it. It's not as if I've seen everything on the marker for the past few months. I've been keeping an eye on it but surely have missed plenty, plus our search just heated up right after it was bought the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
That certainly happens as well. You see all kinds of things in the RE game.
No doubt. I'm surprised at the audacity of these particular flippers given these specific circumstances... There's no such thing as an easy buck, let alone an easy $90,000!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
OP: I don't think you understand the concept of "market value," which is whatever the market will bear.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Homes are not worth what only one buyer would pay.

If your budget is $430K max, then that's the price range you should look in. You would need to judge a market by multiple comps. Markets vary, and homes in not-so-great condition can seem overpriced in a very hot market, like mine.

You'd be surprised by what cosmetic changes can placate buyers looking to get into a certain area for school, work or other location-based issues. Flippers know this, and they often hope to take advantage of it.
Our budget isn't really 430K. That's just what this house is worth to us. There's a difference. I'm not going to pay 500K just because I can, when I don't have to to get everything I want and the particular house in question doesn't inspire me to spend that much.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: I don't think you understand the concept of "market value," which is whatever the market will bear.
I do understand that concept, but this house isn't delivering on that asking price, nor the original from just a few months ago (pre-"flip").

It was listed for kinda high, sat for 2 months (not bad in most markets, but pretty bad in this particular market which has been extremely fast for good inventory at a fair price), was sold for *really* low, then re listed 10 days later for *really* high! It's sat again for several weeks.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
Our budget isn't really 430K. That's just what this house is worth to us. There's a difference. I'm not going to pay 500K just because I can, when I don't have to to get everything I want and the particular house in question doesn't inspire me to spend that much.
Then it's not the house for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Didn't happen to come across it. It's not as if I've seen everything on the marker for the past few months. I've been keeping an eye on it but surely have missed plenty, plus our search just heated up right after it was bought the first time.
Another mark in the "plus" column for having a buyers' agent in a hot market. Most of the homes in my neighborhood are sold off the MLS, before being listed, because people are basically hovering in the area, ready to pounce.

If you have an agent who knows a lot of people in your target area, you can get in on those kinds of deals.

That's how a lot of flippers get ahold of houses, too.

(FTR I am not an agent )

Old 10-09-2017, 01:43 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
No doubt. I'm surprised at the audacity of these particular flippers given these specific circumstances... There's no such thing as an easy buck, let alone an easy $90,000!
There are two things I don't think you're fully considering.

1) You assume that the flippers are competent. They may not be. Greed and stupidity exist everywhere in every endeavor.
2) You assume that the buyers DO concern themselves with what the house sold for last. Most of them, when working with a realtor, will be counseled that the house is worth what its worth, and that you don't really know what the investor has into it. Everyone understands that the flipper is out to make money.

What I saw when I was more recently in the market locally, were flips where the seller would repaint, refinish old hardwoods, and throw in a kitchen that popped nicely in photographs. The house might have a 20 year old roof and cracked windows. And some of them did sell quickly.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
What the past history of sales price, has nothing to do with it's market value today. It is worth what an independent appraiser places a fair market value on the property. I was an investment real estate broker from 1972 till I finally retired.

In addition to brokering real estate, I bought and resold a lot of nice middle class homes in good neighborhoods. I bought an average of 21% under the market value, for a quick sale the sellers needed. I once bought a home, and had ordered the VA papers to assume a loan to close when they arrived. Part of my purchase was the sellers who were to close the home to foreclosure on Monday, could rent it from the new owner. While the sellers were in the parking lot outside my office was at his car moving some things from the back seat into the trunk, I got on the phone and sold it sight unseen to one of my investors, for 10% below market to use as one of his rentals, before he drove out of the lot. I bought it with a $1,000 personal note as security, and closed both sales a week later when I got the papers from the V.A.

People on these threads, seem to hate flippers. A lot of them are very good, and if they update or improve the home, they do it very well. It might be just needing a fresh paint inside, to make it salable. I had part time retired construction workers who liked to pick up a fast buck now and then. Everything from a retired electrician, to painters. They could get on the job in as little time as that same day. Depending on what I needed a quick call and they would take care of the problem, and it would be done right with quality materials as needed.

If one looked at the sales history, they would have seen the home jumped in value as much as 25%. What I paid for the home had nothing to do with value. The value of the home today, is what it would sell for to a ready, willing, and able buyer and the price would be supported when an appraisal was done for mortgage purposes. What the home sold for in the past, has nothing to do with it's current value. It is worth what an independent appraiser will appraise it for, if it is to have a mortgage which is most situations.

The idea a home is only worth what a ready, willing and able buyer will pay for it, does not determine the true market value. One buyer may offer to pay $100,000 under the market, another $50,000 and one $25,000 under the market. another may have buyers bidding considerably above the market value, only to lose the sale when the home is appraised. What a home is worth, is really determined by what an appraisal says it is worth in most situations. And this appraisal will be based on recent sales in the same neighborhood.

The value of the home, has nothing to do with the past sales history.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
My mom likes to use sales history as justification for her offer. I feel it's misguided to offer someone say, $275k, just because they paid $275k four years ago. The market changes. It's like people want to make sure the unscrupulous seller is not profiteering at their expense. Or something.

If the flip was a quality flip and that's the going rate for newish construction in the area, then yeah, a buyer's gonna pay for that. Amateur flippers learn quickly what the market will allow them to charge.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:34 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
We decided not to work with one.
I'm curious as to why you don't want to work with a real estate agent. Are you planning to bring your lawyer if you go to settlement?

A buyer's agent will be looking out for your best interests. S/he will negotiate with the seller's agent with the goal of getting you the best deal.

Our current home is under contract. After settlement, we will be looking to buy out of state. Months ago, we got a recommendation for a buyer's agent in the area where we will be moving. As soon as we're ready to look, that agent will get a call from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate