Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 25,961 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a first time home buyer and I'm interested to buy a Taylor Morrison home in Apex.does anyone have a design center pricing sheet that you can share with me. The agents are asking me to sign the contract first and then get the design center pricing from them.so if anyone can share it would be very helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Can't you push back and say you won't sign a contract without the price list? I had a different builder but my price list was specific to my model, because - for instance - different models have different numbers of cabinets in the kitchen. So my pricing was based on the specifics of the model I was getting.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:10 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
get a Realtor to represent you, not the on-site agents.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:15 PM

Well tried all that. But they refuse to budge saying that keep a budget in what you want to spend and at the design center adjust accordingly.no with or without buyers agent they are not giving their options pricing

Old 01-31-2018, 12:19 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times
Also, ask them if they have design center open houses where you can go see the design center without having a contract. If that doesn't work, just find out where the design center is located and show up. It's not nice but it might work.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:21 PM

We tried all that with the agent without the agent .so they are saying keep a budget in your mind example 20k and then when u go for a design center meeting work around your budget.bit that seems to be difficult from how others builders work like calatlantic you can go to the design center before your contact and get the pricing doneeritage will give you a PDF with pricing. So we know before hand what would be the pricing upgrade for a level 2 cabinet or granite.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:24 PM

Taylor Morrison has only 2 previews a month unlike other builders. And since they are shifting their design center from Cary to Raleigh. They are not going to have any previews for the month of February.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:53 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
One minute of googling shows me that you are correct to be very concerned about this. I see comments from customers that got an allowance for the design center and the show up and are blown away by the costs which make their allowances look like pocket change. Obviously there may be naive people who don't know what things cost but I would rather assume that things are hideously priced than hope that they will be reasonable. And you don't want surprises here so hideous vs. reasonable doesn't even matter...you just want to know the facts of what things cost before you sign a contract.

I'm all for transparency in everything and there is no way in hell that I would sign a contract not knowing how much it would cost to get the house I want. Like agreeing to buy a car with basic options and not knowing the price for the full range of options that you wish to consider. How do you even compare with your other options if you just know the base price. You show up and they tell you that the leather steering wheel will cost you 5 grand. Sounds like bad business to me. Forgive me if i'm missing something here but that sounds like an insane policy and I'd be curious to know how they explain that.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:57 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Sounds like you need to vote with your feet then, and move on to a different builder. I wouldn't want to enter into a contract with a company that acted like this - if they can't be up front about the costs, I wouldn't trust them to be up front and deal with me fairly for issues that arise along the way, and there are always going to be issues that arise along the way with new construction.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:58 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
because they're selling enough homes that way.

I don't agree with it at all, and I would agree with you that I would shop elsewhere.

another alternative is simply knock on the door of someone who has moved in and ask them what their upgrades cost, or if THEY kept the sheet and will share. Prices may very well have changed, but it's better than the vacuum of info you've been given so far.

Also, presumably you have to go to a binding contract with some amount of non-refundable deposit before you get to see the goodies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate